Advice on buying a motorhome private

Thanks. Its a Swift Esprit but they were made with a ten year damp warranty and I think single shell skin as in one piece. Its a 2015 model so should be in good nick. 15000 miles I think. Ill check the hab report and who did it and get my man to recheck it providing it looks like right and we are interested.

What are peoples thoughts on payment privately? I was thinking bank transfer having briefed the bank beforehand but while I am there so we can do a handover. Probably getting ahead of myself.

Thanks. Its a Swift Esprit but they were made with a ten year damp warranty and I think single shell skin as in one piece. Its a 2015 model so should be in good nick. 15000 miles I think. Ill check the hab report and who did it and get my man to recheck it providing it looks like right and we are interested.

What are peoples thoughts on payment privately? I was thinking bank transfer having briefed the bank beforehand but while I am there so we can do a handover. Probably getting ahead of myself.

If you do Barry, film the handover on your mobile. I can never remember what was demonstrated!

When making your transfer Barry, always send £1 and confirm that they have received it ok. Then if you are happy with everything, and they confirm they have received the £1 then send the rest.

Thanks Bill, better read my policy again!

I had my system checked by a MH qualified gas engineer but I'd better check the service requirements too.
I would say it makes good sense if converting a van to have the gas installation checked over and would probably do that. (my self-builds have been pretty much gas-free with the nearest being a single connection from bottle to hob)

I would say it makes good sense if converting a van to have the gas installation checked over and would probably do that. (my self-builds have been pretty much gas-free with the nearest being a single connection from bottle to hob)

It certainly gave me peace of mind getting it checked. But how often should I get it checked over again? A question for the insurance company I guess.

My next boat will be gas free. Not strictly true as I will carry a portable camping stove but I don't want a gas system on a boat, you can't really put drop out vents in the bottom!

If its any good ill get all that stuff checked. Ill probably want a gaslow system anyway if it doesnt already have one (not mentioned in the ad). It does have a decent satellite system and solar which could be two items ticked off the list. No idea what the solar system is. I would want a Lithium setup at some point.

When making your transfer Barry, always send £1 and confirm that they have received it ok. Then if you are happy with everything, and they confirm they have received the £1 then send the rest.
This is the way to go.
Though most banks only allow £20k at a time..with lloyds you can do £25.
When I bought one privately we went to the sellers bank and did the transfer there with the Wife staying in the motorhome at their house. You can not recall a transfer any more so it's safe for the seller.

This is the way to go.
When I bought one privately we went to the sellers bank and did the transfer there with the Wife staying in the motorhome at their house. You can not recall a transfer any more so it's safe for the seller.

Good point on the max transfer. I suppose we could do a two pronged attack from two different accounts.

This is the way to go.
When I bought mine, the seller drove it down to me on a Saturday (he was then going to carry on to a MH Dealer to have a look at a replacement) and I did a Bank Transfer to him.
Except .... money went out of my account but didn't go into his? Waited maybe an hour or so while he continued the Handover and then quizzed me to make sure I was paying attention :D.
In the end he drove off in his car with the/his/my Motorhome in the driveway and without any payment in his bank :)
Called my bank later and they said it was being held as a fraud precaution due to the amount. Confirmed it was valid and not being held by metaphorical gunpoint to send the money and he got his MH money on Sunday

You’ll be able to transfer all the money in one transaction by talking to your bank, most likely via email or app. BUT YOU MUST transfer £1 first and get the seller to confirm they received the £1 BEFORE you transfer the whole payment.

This way your bank and theirs will not hold up the payment under due diligence regulations and you will have proof of payment

Should be able to do two transfers from same account, each being up to the limit.
Always worth checking with bank though.
Or transfer to a business account if you want to do it in one.

Should be able to do two transfers from same account, each being up to the limit.
Always worth checking with bank though.
Or transfer to a business account if you want to do it in one.

I do have a business account but that sounds messy.

Swift 10 year water ingress warranty is not transferable, six years is transferable or was on my 2017 kontiki. And how very dare you even think about claiming on it.

HPI check might be worth considering.

Swift 10 year water ingress warranty is not transferable, six years is transferable or was on my 2017 kontiki. And how very dare you even think about claiming on it.

HPI check might be worth considering.

Thanks. Yes I read that. I figured the ten year warranty despite not being transferable was still a good sign that the van would be damp free.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:190)

JVG, mark61, Pudsey Bear, pamjon, jacquigem, RichardHelen262, jeanette, caledonia, Wully, longtoedsloth, Jo001, Charlynch, oppy, runnach, Bigshug, Robmac, maingate, cooperman, r4dent, campervanannie, mistericeman, TeamRienza, Nabsim, winks, MartinFife, Fisherman, lthoel2, rugbyken, ajb70, izwozral, Scotia, Canalsman, clarkpeacock, Steve and Julie, Alberto, wildebus, Rod, colinm, yorkslass, korky, Drover, number14, andyjanet, Duetto 1999, Bouydog, NSY, AllanD, TJBi, RSD7a, jann, Boris7, Topmast, kingfisher1, GeoffL, Gerry Attrick, timatabsa, Tim120, hmssnake, trevskoda, guerdeval, ton27, tobym, stonedaddy, GinaRon, liz, Wooie1958, BigEus, ricc, mariesnowgoose, GMJ, hamsterberg27, Neckender, Dezi, marchie, davep10000, Heppy, exwindsurfer, ewen, Norfolk NewBoy, chrishunter, zzr1400tim, ironman, Murgzie, Tezza33, Gerti58, molly 2, yeoblade, merl, Fazerloz, alanfleming, Glass man, Obanboy666, Martin P, Lioncrunch, DTF, Dowel, 1807truckman, mrlobby, iampatman, Outdoors Dad, Sharon the Cat, n brown, cornish hymer, Mandoman, tripper, shortcircuit, helmit, maxsdad, Millie Master, neildent, 2cv, glekay, Cass, kensowerby, HurricaneSmith, flying kipper, marsden, Andys, SquirrellCook, dtdunn, REC, Gasdave, V1nny, guym3, VandA, Tapfitter, dannyktm, Divine Right, BigD003, Ellendale, BM48, eriksleden, Magsw, Mick H, vtwinner, davef, Minky, horace, roady987, jas900, tribute11, in it for fun, Moocher, Sheila Bryant, Motoroamer, iris dement, Tim1953, mrs t, Tarmacapache, Daz65, Yolo, SApril, Thistle, Elfit, knowledgeseeker, Lib, 2Coops, Nickrock, Sue Paskins, TeamPuffin, Nomad Nelly, Rutaria, Mikekilbride, Rolyan57, Mobilvetta, David Glassford, noah and nelly, Bubble, Mikecoo, Rupert, Jiwawa, campingfun, TCall, Gingersgirl, gettingolder2, WalesGraham, coundonroad, G and T, kwil69, Wardy73, bnb080, GWAYGWAY, barrypat, Hamewilldaeme, Richard Surgey, Hornet49, alcam, Firefox, Goofer, Carrerasax,
Back