Advice on buying a motorhome private

You need a BMW Barry, 1200 about right?

Noooo! The lighter the better I think. Actually I will be restricted. The racks will take 200kg I believe and the vans payload is good for a fair bit but apparently that version of the Alko Chassis is only rated to 130kg above the weight of the rack but I bet that KTM is no more than that. I reckon ill be sticking to the 100kg Honda Vision Biff Chariot though. Best bike in the world that one anyway.

My younger brother just sent me some pictures of his new Motorhome. Looks like a nearly new Swift Voyager.

I didn't even know he was thinking of getting one. Not that I'm jealous! :giggle:

16" wheels on the maxi chassis. Allows upgrading tyres to 121 load rating. I did. Scooter 🛵 in the garage. You're too keen, is he's reading this the price will go up 😃

My younger brother just sent me some pictures of his new Motorhome. Looks like a nearly new Swift Voyager.

I didn't even know he was thinking of getting one. Not that I'm jealous! :giggle:

There are loads in that range by the looks of it. Look nice vans. I started looking at some of the specs on the newer larger Swift models and on the big Escapes and Kontikis it looks like they have addressed the pitiful payload issues of the last generation. Some are over 1000kg.

16" wheels on the maxi chassis. Allows upgrading tyres to 121 load rating. I did. Scooter 🛵 in the garage. You're too keen, is he's reading this the price will go up 😃

I doubt it. Least I hope not. :D Anyway its not a done deal yet. Depends on the bartering and a final view.

Remember everyone tells you not to buy a Swift, I did and can't say I regretted it, had nearly all the issues with the base vehicle, Ducato, than the conversion.

Remember everyone tells you not to buy a Swift, I did and can't say I regretted it, had nearly all the issues with the base vehicle, Ducato, than the conversion.

Ours was often the butt of a few jokes online as stuff broke on it but apart from a few minor base vehicle issues its been bloody brilliant. The difference is with a lot of motorhomers it got used and used and used many years for up to eight or nine months. I don't want to think about it going. Its going to break my heart. What I love about it is I can often fix stuff with bailer twine, hoover cable and rubber tape. Ill need a Geoff or Dave Wildbus if I get this new fangled contraption and it goes wrong.

Ours was often the butt of a few jokes online as stuff broke on it but apart from a few minor base vehicle issues its been bloody brilliant. The difference is with a lot of motorhomers it got used and used and used many years for up to eight or nine months. I don't want to think about it going. Its going to break my heart. What I love about it is I can often fix stuff with bailer twine, hoover cable and rubber tape. Ill need a Geoff or Dave Wildbus if I get this new fangled contraption and it goes wrong.
Last time I used Bailer twine to fix the Swift, my trousers fell down 😀 🤔

There are loads in that range by the looks of it. Look nice vans. I started looking at some of the specs on the newer larger Swift models and on the big Escapes and Kontikis it looks like they have addressed the pitiful payload issues of the last generation. Some are over 1000kg.

Just spoke to my brother Barry and it's not nearly new at all although it looks it. It's a 2010 model with a fixed bed.

He's never had one before and knows nothing about them so in for a bit of a learning curve. He picks it up in 2 weeks so I'm gonna have a ride up to Leicestershire and have a good look round it and arrange a trip away with him and his mrs. You never know he may even join the forum and he's even more sarcastic than I am, it'll be like stereo - you lucky lot! :)

Just spoke to my brother Barry and it's not nearly new at all although it looks it. It's a 2010 model with a fixed bed.

He's never had one before and knows nothing about them so in for a bit of a learning curve. He picks it up in 2 weeks so I'm gonna have a ride up to Leicestershire and have a good look round it and arrange a trip away with him and his mrs. You never know he may even join the forum and he's even more sarcastic than I am, it'll be like stereo - you lucky lot! :)

That is a new one!! Very new!! My Kontiki is from the last century dontcha know! I bet he still paid the price of a small house in some northern oik town for it! :ROFLMAO:

I didn't see it was on an alko chassis.
mine is on the fiat chassis..
I uprated it 2 years ago .

Thats been the big issue. Alko Chassis is crucial for a scooter rack. It is of course possible to fit them to the standard chassis but not as easy and they usually have a bigger overhang. Not all you read about payload is true either. The Autotrail Apache for example and a couple other of their vans on Paper have enough payload for a rack but their extended rails on the rear chassis are weak and only up to 100kg. Couple all this with wanting to keep the same rear lounge layout and you start to realise why its taken so long. Trust me. When it comes to payloads, scooter racks, and what vans can take what, for once Im the guru! :D

Just a thought. I've not run a HPI Check on this vehicle yet or whatever it is you do. I asked the guy selling if there was any finance owing and he did say there was a small amount when he took it but its been sorted. Obviously I should do a check myself but which one? There seems to be loads. Autotrader where its listed gives you an option to check but it only shows these details. A full check costs £4.95. I presume that will be adequate (The £4.95 option)?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:213)

JVG, mark61, Pudsey Bear, pamjon, jacquigem, RichardHelen262, jeanette, caledonia, Wully, longtoedsloth, Jo001, Charlynch, oppy, runnach, Bigshug, Robmac, maingate, cooperman, r4dent, campervanannie, mistericeman, TeamRienza, Nabsim, winks, MartinFife, Fisherman, lthoel2, rugbyken, ajb70, izwozral, Scotia, Canalsman, clarkpeacock, Steve and Julie, Alberto, wildebus, Rod, colinm, yorkslass, korky, Drover, number14, andyjanet, Duetto 1999, Bouydog, NSY, AllanD, TJBi, RSD7a, jann, Boris7, Topmast, kingfisher1, GeoffL, Gerry Attrick, timatabsa, Tim120, hmssnake, trevskoda, guerdeval, ton27, tobym, stonedaddy, GinaRon, liz, Wooie1958, BigEus, ricc, mariesnowgoose, GMJ, hamsterberg27, Neckender, Dezi, marchie, davep10000, Heppy, exwindsurfer, ewen, Norfolk NewBoy, chrishunter, zzr1400tim, ironman, Murgzie, Tezza33, Gerti58, molly 2, yeoblade, merl, Fazerloz, alanfleming, Glass man, Obanboy666, Martin P, Lioncrunch, DTF, Dowel, 1807truckman, mrlobby, iampatman, Outdoors Dad, Sharon the Cat, n brown, cornish hymer, Mandoman, tripper, shortcircuit, helmit, maxsdad, Millie Master, neildent, 2cv, glekay, Cass, kensowerby, HurricaneSmith, flying kipper, marsden, Andys, SquirrellCook, dtdunn, REC, Gasdave, V1nny, guym3, VandA, Tapfitter, dannyktm, Divine Right, BigD003, Ellendale, BM48, eriksleden, Magsw, Mick H, vtwinner, davef, Minky, horace, roady987, jas900, tribute11, in it for fun, Moocher, Sheila Bryant, Motoroamer, iris dement, Tim1953, mrs t, Tarmacapache, Daz65, Yolo, SApril, Thistle, Elfit, knowledgeseeker, Lib, 2Coops, Nickrock, Sue Paskins, TeamPuffin, Nomad Nelly, Rutaria, Mikekilbride, Rolyan57, Mobilvetta, David Glassford, noah and nelly, Bubble, Mikecoo, Rupert, Jiwawa, campingfun, TCall, Gingersgirl, gettingolder2, WalesGraham, coundonroad, G and T, kwil69, Wardy73, bnb080, GWAYGWAY, barrypat, Hamewilldaeme, Richard Surgey, Hornet49, alcam, Firefox, Goofer, Carrerasax, WingNut, petermotorhome, swedenut, Texastom, chrisvs57, bartman, reiverlad, Kennymac, Gadabout2, 1 Cup, Quiddle, gasgas, Lee, Hagg3066, ScarletPimple, davidjlambert, Glandwr, Palette, Owlhouse, Val54, Adriafan, Blackdog, roddew,
Back