Advice on buying a motorhome private

There is a plate on the AlKo axle with the type number and if I remember correctly a makers number.

Each axle is rated at 1500 Kg on a Tag axle van. I am not sure if it is more when there is only one rear axle.

2400kg rear and 2100kg front on this one. Its a Tank! :D Hank the Tank!

Not sure yet what time. Getting the bike serviced this morning and then it will be a case of when the guy is available.

If it goes ahead we will then need to sort out the finances. Its not been discussed yet but Im guessing bank transfer. Would you just do that the night before you go up to collect or literally sit outside the guys house and do it? I know its been mentioned but this thread is massive now. :D

I’ll hold off with buying in more popcorn 🍿 🥳

When we purchased our current MH, Barry. We did a bank transfer at their premises. These transactions pretty much instant to show on the sellers account.

Good luck for today 🤞

Personally I'd wait until you have agreed the deal and then do it with the chap there. When I sold a posh car both I and the bloke buying it went to the bank together so he could do the transfer there, under the bank teller's nose at it were.

I did wonder about going into an actual bank. Not sure how that would work. If we agree a sale I was just going to transfer a deposit of say £100 today / this evening and then move the money around tomorrow and just transfer it to his account, possibly while outside his house tomorrow. I have a feeling though it might need two transfers from two different accounts as there are limits I think.

I think 20k is the limit, we got around this by me and swmbo splitting the amount from both our accounts.

Edit: sorry, thinking back and as we were dealing with a business, we used our debit cards, basically a switch transaction.

Our previous Dethleffs, a private deal, where I moved the funds to sellers using my iPhone and online banking.

I did wonder about going into an actual bank. Not sure how that would work. If we agree a sale I was just going to transfer a deposit of say £100 today / this evening and then move the money around tomorrow and just transfer it to his account, possibly while outside his house tomorrow. I have a feeling though it might need two transfers from two different accounts as there are limits I think.
if you do the deal then it’s really straightforward Barry, this whole thing seems to be getting convoluted. First I would contact your bank the day before and let them know what you are doing, and the amount involved. They will put a note on your account and inform you of any possible requirements or issues. When you go to buy your new van first transfer a small amount into his account. Once he confirms he has received it, transfer the balance. He gives you the keys and paperwork, and you start to get a bit excited at your new van and enjoy the drive home. Job done simple as that. The hard bit was done earning the money in the first place.

Good luck, and if you do buy this van, many happy travels to you and your better half Michelle. (y)

Last edited:
Not sure yet what time. Getting the bike serviced this morning and then it will be a case of when the guy is available.

If it goes ahead we will then need to sort out the finances. Its not been discussed yet but Im guessing bank transfer. Would you just do that the night before you go up to collect or literally sit outside the guys house and do it? I know its been mentioned but this thread is massive now. :D
last minute after it is all agreed.

if you do the deal then it’s really straightforward Barry, this whole thing seems to be getting convoluted. First I would contact your bank the day before and let them know what you are doing, and the amount involved. They will put a note on your account and inform you of any possible requirements or issues. When you go to buy your new van first transfer a small amount into his account. Once he confirms he has received it, transfer the balance. He gives you the keys and paperwork, and you start to get a bit excited at your new van and enjoy the drive home. Job done simple as that. The hard bit was done earning the money in the first place.

Good luck, and if you do buy this van, many happy travels to you and your better half Michelle. (y)

I called Lloyds. Apparently I can do a larger transaction through the app by passing a higher level of security and using a rather buried option to call them through the app. Took me a while to find it just now. She still wasn't sure how long it would take. Probably up to two hours and of course it has to be done before 5pm on the day. Its not really convoluted though. Just trying to make sure I am prepared. Its a lot of money to transfer to someone I dont know from Adam. I could do it the day before we pick up the van of course but thats a bit of a worry. I would rather be outside his house with the van in sight. Might end up sat there for ages though waiting for it to clear.

Have you driven it yet? it might have a dodgy gearbox or anything, never by a vehicle without driving it, if he says not insured you can buy a days insurance online easily.
Did you see the last one he took for a test drive. :eek:
test drive.jpg

Have you driven it yet? it might have a dodgy gearbox or anything, never by a vehicle without driving it, if he says not insured you can buy a days insurance online easily.

Nope. Hopefully will get a go today. It was serviced in April by the same garage Ive been using (Croxdales). They emailed me all the history the other day. Its only done 16000 miles so you would expect it to be tip top but I agree, even if its a ride round a car park or industrial estate it should show any obvious issues.

I never let anybody test drive if they are buying a vehicle/bike from me Kev unless they take out a day's fully comp insurance and can prove to me that they have.

I've had this with bikes when they say that their policy covers them for any bike, well yes it does but only 3rd party so if they prang it you're stuffed!

Nope. Hopefully will get a go today. It was serviced in April by the same garage Ive been using (Croxdales). They emailed me all the history the other day. Its only done 16000 miles so you would expect it to be tip top but I agree, even if its a ride round a car park or industrial estate it should show any obvious issues.
Our van only had 17k on it, but the ECU was buggered, £800 later still not quite right.

Our van only had 17k on it, but the ECU was buggered, £800 later still not quite right.

You could go on and on for ever Kev checking stuff. I dont know what I am doing as regards mechanical stuff etc, ill know if something isnt right I guess. Its a massive gamble buying like this but it is what it is. I would expect something will need sorting but thats probably why dealers charge so much more.

You could go on and on for ever Kev checking stuff. I dont know what I am doing as regards mechanical stuff etc, ill know if something isnt right I guess. Its a massive gamble buying like this but it is what it is. I would expect something will need sorting but thats probably why dealers charge so much more.

People buy brand new vans with faults Barry and don't always get satisfactory backup from the dealers/manufacturers without jumping through hoops to resolve.

As you say, it is what it is.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back