Advice on buying a motorhome private

If you have saved a chunk of money off dealer prices then you have some spare for any future hiccups,
But with the mileage I wouldn’t be too worried about any mechanical issues.
Just get it bought and start enjoying it.
Yes it is a chunk of money, but that’s all it is. You won’t get any pleasure from it sat in the bank
But you will get plenty of pleasure from the motorhome.
Don’t forget to invest in a disklok to stop some scumbag enjoying your motorhome

I called Lloyds. Apparently I can do a larger transaction through the app by passing a higher level of security and using a rather buried option to call them through the app. Took me a while to find it just now. She still wasn't sure how long it would take. Probably up to two hours and of course it has to be done before 5pm on the day. Its not really convoluted though. Just trying to make sure I am prepared. Its a lot of money to transfer to someone I dont know from Adam. I could do it the day before we pick up the van of course but thats a bit of a worry. I would rather be outside his house with the van in sight. Might end up sat there for ages though waiting for it to clear.
Exactly.
I have many times transferred large sums of money to companies and once to a person I had never met before, and I found the whole process quite straightforward. I simply felt that the thread seemed to convoluting what really is straightforward. I fully understand your concern about this, I felt the same myself, but the actual process was surprisingly simple. I remember the first time I did so to buy my first van in 2016. I had to transfer over £50,000 and after tapping the screen I was amazed it went through ok. I would definitely want to drive the van before purchase, I would contact your insurer to see what can be arranged. If you buy it enjoy.(y)

If you have saved a chunk of money off dealer prices then you have some spare for any future hiccups,
But with the mileage I wouldn’t be too worried about any mechanical issues.
Just get it bought and start enjoying it.
Yes it is a chunk of money, but that’s all it is. You won’t get any pleasure from it sat in the bank
But you will get plenty of pleasure from the motorhome.
Don’t forget to invest in a disklok to stop some scumbag enjoying your motorhome

I don't mind spending the money (Michelle does 🤣) I just don't want to get scammed or ripped off. I think it should be fine though. No alarm bells of yet.

I went to see my van one weekend, said I wanted it and arranged to pick it up the weekend after (they had t MOT it). Never driven a big van before and didn't have a test drive. Drove plenty of big stuff that the van would fit in the back of in the quarry but not on public roads. Had 3 months warranty and that was it, was supposed to take it back to get a skylight changed but no chance I was driving it back to London for that, would have had to been blown engine for me to consider it lol

As you can gather, I am not the person to listen to about buying vehicles, I have always bought with head and gut :)

I went to see my van one weekend, said I wanted it and arranged to pick it up the weekend after (they had t MOT it). Never driven a big van before and didn't have a test drive. Drove plenty of big stuff that the van would fit in the back of in the quarry but not on public roads. Had 3 months warranty and that was it, was supposed to take it back to get a skylight changed but no chance I was driving it back to London for that, would have had to been blown engine for me to consider it lol

As you can gather, I am not the person to listen to about buying vehicles, I have always bought with head and gut :)
Same here mate. I had just had my Elddis serviced at a Dealer who forgot to fill in the service book. When I got there I saw a sad neglected Burstner Tag Axle van that had been in another branch for 2 years unsold and transferred there. I asked for the keys and looked around it, haggled the price down, got a few extras thrown in and my part ex price up ..... and bought it. A bit of elbow grease and housekeeping soon had it looking better and I got 5 years of virtually trouble free use out of that van.

Same here mate. I had just had my Elddis serviced at a Dealer who forgot to fill in the service book. When I got there I saw a sad neglected Burstner Tag Axle van that had been in another branch for 2 years unsold and transferred there. I asked for the keys and looked around it, haggled the price down, got a few extras thrown in and my part ex price up ..... and bought it. A bit of elbow grease and housekeeping soon had it looking better and I got 5 years of virtually trouble free use out of that van.

If it had been a proper "Dealer" I wouldn't have any qualms. I would have bought it after the weighbridge tickets materialised to be honest. As you know thats been the all important thing for me. That said, what I will say for this guy is he has been 200% better than any dealer I have ever dealt with in terms of being accommodating. As soon as you start mentioning payloads and weighbridges to dealers they just don't want to know. Thats how we lost the last one (same model) two years ago in the Lake District at a dealers. We had even agreed verbally part ex prices. I started asking various questions and even found a weighbridge a mile up the road from them. Next thing I know its sold.

So...
Has he bought it yet???
Who knows! He is obviously a man who likes to get all his ducks in a row before taking the plunge so perhaps not. The last MH I bought I did so unseen - still have it several years later - several tens of thousands well spent - go with your gut I say.

Well an update!! Wait for it......

Are you ready?

200w.gif

Sale Agreed!! :D

Got out for a long drive and amazingly he had no problem letting me have a drive myself. The posh reversing camera mirror creeped me out a bit but it drove lovely. Kev was right about the post 2007 vans being so much better. Felt great. Gearbox smooth as silk, brakes good, steering perfect, air con worked. Couldnt fault it. As many rattles on it in the back as ours sadly but I guess thats motorhomes for you. Didnt feel like it was any more powerful than old Hank, maybe a bit off the mark but that van always went well. It pulled nicely though and of course much quieter and no niffy smoke.

After showing me on video message the satellite TV working he couldnt get it to work. His son in law sorted it last time so he is going to come up on Friday when we pick it up to show us how it works. Hopefully its just him not knowing how it works but of course it could be iffy. I think the former. Negotiation was easy enough and I got a fair chunk off the asking price.

The icing on the cake could be that I took the measurements at the back and in the cab and width wise there really isnt much in it compared to Hank. There is a possibility it might just fit on the drive but I wont know for certain until I get it back here. Im going to try and get it booked in for a Cambelt first though hopefully when I pick it up so it might not be coming straight home.

I would just like to extend my extreme gratitude to all of you on here for contributing to this epic thread. What a team! And my appologies for everyone who has had to listen to me witter on about getting a new Hank the Tank for the past decade or so :D

It hasnt sunk in yet really but "Back of the net!!!" :D

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:221)

JVG, mark61, Pudsey Bear, pamjon, jacquigem, RichardHelen262, jeanette, caledonia, Wully, longtoedsloth, Jo001, Charlynch, oppy, runnach, Bigshug, Robmac, maingate, cooperman, r4dent, campervanannie, mistericeman, TeamRienza, Nabsim, winks, MartinFife, Fisherman, lthoel2, rugbyken, ajb70, izwozral, Scotia, Canalsman, clarkpeacock, Steve and Julie, Alberto, wildebus, Rod, colinm, yorkslass, korky, Drover, number14, andyjanet, Duetto 1999, Bouydog, NSY, AllanD, TJBi, RSD7a, jann, Boris7, Topmast, kingfisher1, GeoffL, Gerry Attrick, timatabsa, Tim120, hmssnake, trevskoda, guerdeval, ton27, tobym, stonedaddy, GinaRon, liz, Wooie1958, BigEus, ricc, mariesnowgoose, GMJ, hamsterberg27, Neckender, Dezi, marchie, davep10000, Heppy, exwindsurfer, ewen, Norfolk NewBoy, chrishunter, zzr1400tim, ironman, Murgzie, Tezza33, Gerti58, molly 2, yeoblade, merl, Fazerloz, alanfleming, Glass man, Obanboy666, Martin P, Lioncrunch, DTF, Dowel, 1807truckman, mrlobby, iampatman, Outdoors Dad, Sharon the Cat, n brown, cornish hymer, Mandoman, tripper, shortcircuit, helmit, maxsdad, Millie Master, neildent, 2cv, glekay, Cass, kensowerby, HurricaneSmith, flying kipper, marsden, Andys, SquirrellCook, dtdunn, REC, Gasdave, V1nny, guym3, VandA, Tapfitter, dannyktm, Divine Right, BigD003, Ellendale, BM48, eriksleden, Magsw, Mick H, vtwinner, davef, Minky, horace, roady987, jas900, tribute11, in it for fun, Moocher, Sheila Bryant, Motoroamer, iris dement, Tim1953, mrs t, Tarmacapache, Daz65, Yolo, SApril, Thistle, Elfit, knowledgeseeker, Lib, 2Coops, Nickrock, Sue Paskins, TeamPuffin, Nomad Nelly, Rutaria, Mikekilbride, Rolyan57, Mobilvetta, David Glassford, noah and nelly, Bubble, Mikecoo, Rupert, Jiwawa, campingfun, TCall, Gingersgirl, gettingolder2, WalesGraham, coundonroad, G and T, kwil69, Wardy73, bnb080, GWAYGWAY, barrypat, Hamewilldaeme, Richard Surgey, Hornet49, alcam, Firefox, Goofer, Carrerasax, WingNut, petermotorhome, swedenut, Texastom, chrisvs57, bartman, reiverlad, Kennymac, Gadabout2, 1 Cup, Quiddle, gasgas, Lee, Hagg3066, ScarletPimple, davidjlambert, Glandwr, Palette, Owlhouse, Val54, Adriafan, Blackdog, roddew, Forcesixwindy, smackaylvit, Mickrick, sueb, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, Windy6, Mikebike, dvla3336,
Back