Advice on buying a motorhome private

Congratulations, I hope you have many safe, happy and enjoyable trips.
Did you complete the purchase today? If so, was it a quick transfer and were you able to do it in one transaction?

Davy

Congratulations, I hope you have many safe, happy and enjoyable trips.
Did you complete the purchase today? If so, was it a quick transfer and were you able to do it in one transaction?

Davy

No. Just put a deposit on. Picking it up Friday. Set up a bank transfer for the deposit (£100) and it went through in about a minute and Ive worked out with the bank how to do a transfer over the normal limit so we agreed we will go up Friday early afternoon, do the transfer then sat in the van and as soon as its cleared we will be off. I am hoping I can take it straight to the garage round the corner that services it (and our van) and get the Cambelt done either then or on Monday (They will keep it inside) but I would imagine there is no chance of that happening at short notice.

I think it's just the cambelt, not the waterpump on the 2.3 fiat engine, the pump is quite a bit extra and not on a service item for a lot more miles. Check the fiat schedule.

I think it's just the cambelt, not the waterpump on the 2.3 fiat engine, the pump is quite a bit extra and not on a service item for a lot more miles. Check the fiat schedule.

Thanks. I will do. Garage reckoned about £450. I used it as a negotiating tactic. I suspect its fine but its clearly been overlooked unless it was done somewhere else but I couldn't find it in the history.

Well done, ENJOY.
Is now the time you can start the 12 yr. hunt for the next one...............

LOL! If it turns out to be as long lasting as the first van that will be another 16 years.

Someone mentioned tyre loadings earlier up thread I seem to remember. I took a picture of one of the tyres today.

Googled it I think its a load rating of 116q Which is 1250kg per Tyre I believe. Can anyone verify? I googled the tyres.

LOL! If it turns out to be as long lasting as the first van that will be another 16 years.

Someone mentioned tyre loadings earlier up thread I seem to remember. I took a picture of one of the tyres today.

Googled it I think its a load rating of 116q Which is 1250kg per Tyre I believe. Can anyone verify? I googled the tyres.

Yes, that right. 116 = 1250KG
Q is the speed rating. 160KMH

Nice one Barry.

Does this mean that you will be taking it abroad for trips? From memory you stopped doing that with Hank didn't you, just in case?

From black circles

1718868330991.png

Nice one Barry.

Does this mean that you will be taking it abroad for trips? From memory you stopped doing that with Hank didn't you, just in case?

Oh yes! Eventually. We did originally think about heading off this year but we are both starting to think for this year as its getting on a bit by the time we get going and there is a lot to sort out we might just stick to the original plan for now and just do the UK again. Might be easier to iron out any issues as well here. Plus we were kind of looking forward to it. Next year though will hopefully be a big tour. Might even go for one of those six month Visas.

Well an update!! Wait for it......

Are you ready?

200w.gif

Sale Agreed!! :D

Got out for a long drive and amazingly he had no problem letting me have a drive myself. The posh reversing camera mirror creeped me out a bit but it drove lovely. Kev was right about the post 2007 vans being so much better. Felt great. Gearbox smooth as silk, brakes good, steering perfect, air con worked. Couldnt fault it. As many rattles on it in the back as ours sadly but I guess thats motorhomes for you. Didnt feel like it was any more powerful than old Hank, maybe a bit off the mark but that van always went well. It pulled nicely though and of course much quieter and no niffy smoke.

After showing me on video message the satellite TV working he couldnt get it to work. His son in law sorted it last time so he is going to come up on Friday when we pick it up to show us how it works. Hopefully its just him not knowing how it works but of course it could be iffy. I think the former. Negotiation was easy enough and I got a fair chunk off the asking price.

The icing on the cake could be that I took the measurements at the back and in the cab and width wise there really isnt much in it compared to Hank. There is a possibility it might just fit on the drive but I wont know for certain until I get it back here. Im going to try and get it booked in for a Cambelt first though hopefully when I pick it up so it might not be coming straight home.

I would just like to extend my extreme gratitude to all of you on here for contributing to this epic thread. What a team! And my appologies for everyone who has had to listen to me witter on about getting a new Hank the Tank for the past decade or so :D

It hasnt sunk in yet really but "Back of the net!!!" :D
Anyone want to buy a popcorn, still in date, no longer required 🍿

Happy new van Barry, I hope you both have many happy miles with Hank 2. Wise choice to have a good shake down within UK 🥂

Yes twas I !
I upped mine to 121 's as with the scooter in the garage it was getting close to the load rating, and I've had 2 tyres split too on the back axle, not overloaded but on the limit. Michelin and Conti.
16" wheels on the Maxi Chassis has the bigger brakes too. Went to Van tyre for the 121's, Plenty of overkill now.

Load IndexLoad (kg)

Aye you’ll be aww excited Barry picking up yer new van.
Getting everything sorted oot, wondering will everything be ok.
Thinkin of aw the gid times we had in the auld van.
But ye ken yer daen the right thing, and ye wil huv years of fun in the new yin.

The hard part is partin wi aw that cash by simply touchin a screen, and then it aw leaves yer bank.
Enjoy the drive home, it’s a great feeling, just enjoy this new van, ye deserve it. (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:219)

JVG, mark61, Pudsey Bear, pamjon, jacquigem, RichardHelen262, jeanette, caledonia, Wully, longtoedsloth, Jo001, Charlynch, oppy, runnach, Bigshug, Robmac, maingate, cooperman, r4dent, campervanannie, mistericeman, TeamRienza, Nabsim, winks, MartinFife, Fisherman, lthoel2, rugbyken, ajb70, izwozral, Scotia, Canalsman, clarkpeacock, Steve and Julie, Alberto, wildebus, Rod, colinm, yorkslass, korky, Drover, number14, andyjanet, Duetto 1999, Bouydog, NSY, AllanD, TJBi, RSD7a, jann, Boris7, Topmast, kingfisher1, GeoffL, Gerry Attrick, timatabsa, Tim120, hmssnake, trevskoda, guerdeval, ton27, tobym, stonedaddy, GinaRon, liz, Wooie1958, BigEus, ricc, mariesnowgoose, GMJ, hamsterberg27, Neckender, Dezi, marchie, davep10000, Heppy, exwindsurfer, ewen, Norfolk NewBoy, chrishunter, zzr1400tim, ironman, Murgzie, Tezza33, Gerti58, molly 2, yeoblade, merl, Fazerloz, alanfleming, Glass man, Obanboy666, Martin P, Lioncrunch, DTF, Dowel, 1807truckman, mrlobby, iampatman, Outdoors Dad, Sharon the Cat, n brown, cornish hymer, Mandoman, tripper, shortcircuit, helmit, maxsdad, Millie Master, neildent, 2cv, glekay, Cass, kensowerby, HurricaneSmith, flying kipper, marsden, Andys, SquirrellCook, dtdunn, REC, Gasdave, V1nny, guym3, VandA, Tapfitter, dannyktm, Divine Right, BigD003, Ellendale, BM48, eriksleden, Magsw, Mick H, vtwinner, davef, Minky, horace, roady987, jas900, tribute11, in it for fun, Moocher, Sheila Bryant, Motoroamer, iris dement, Tim1953, mrs t, Tarmacapache, Daz65, Yolo, SApril, Thistle, Elfit, knowledgeseeker, Lib, 2Coops, Nickrock, Sue Paskins, TeamPuffin, Nomad Nelly, Rutaria, Mikekilbride, Rolyan57, Mobilvetta, David Glassford, noah and nelly, Bubble, Mikecoo, Rupert, Jiwawa, campingfun, TCall, Gingersgirl, gettingolder2, WalesGraham, coundonroad, G and T, kwil69, Wardy73, bnb080, GWAYGWAY, barrypat, Hamewilldaeme, Richard Surgey, Hornet49, alcam, Firefox, Goofer, Carrerasax, WingNut, petermotorhome, swedenut, Texastom, chrisvs57, bartman, reiverlad, Kennymac, Gadabout2, 1 Cup, Quiddle, gasgas, Lee, Hagg3066, ScarletPimple, davidjlambert, Glandwr, Palette, Owlhouse, Val54, Adriafan, Blackdog, roddew, Forcesixwindy, smackaylvit, Mickrick, sueb, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, Windy6,
Back