Wetherby Old Stastion Car Park BEWARE NASTY RESIDENT so watch out

I was going on the criteria to obtain a Blue Badge on the Council website BEFORE I sent my report in an email to them,so do you care to enlighten me what other unvisuall illness one can have to get one.This Guy was fit and able and obviously is abusing the system.

He could be a diabetic, they can claim a badge...

Still. a badge holder or not, illness or not. That is no excuse for his behaviour. I'd of smiled and said "thanks, you've now given me a reason to stay parked up as you've blocked my exit".. Then popped the kettle on...

I too sympathise with the OP.
I think I would have held up a board saying ‘DEAF- PLEASE PUT YOUR CONCERNS IN WRITING’

My personal nmbr 1 basic rule of wildcamping is.... If someone is upset about where I'm parked, whoever it is or whatever the reason, smile, apologise, wish them a good day and just leave/move on. I personally have no desire t be upset or to upset others. Don't question it, just move on. Over the years this policy has, in the few problem parking I have had been successful for both myself & the aggressor.

My personal nmbr 1 basic rule of wildcamping is.... If someone is upset about where I'm parked, whoever it is or whatever the reason, smile, apologise, wish them a good day and just leave/move on. I personally have no desire t be upset or to upset others. Don't question it, just move on. Over the years this policy has, in the few problem parking I have had been successful for both myself & the aggressor.

I once parked at the edge of what I thought was a bit of the village green. a nearby resident(who I think was a 'immigrant' from a town), informed me I was not allowed to park there as it belonged to the farmer.

So I went to the farm, he was a bit miffed I had interrupted his football(?), I asked politely to stay and he said no problem.

Interferring townie interloper.

Another story - we were parked on a wide verge when a farmer drove past, stopped, backed up - I thought 'here we go'. He said I have lots of space by the farmhouse if you want, with water and electric. I thanked him and said we were fine and he went on his cheery way.

I find country folk very accomodating if one knows when/where not to interfer with their activities - harvest etc.

Geoff

I once parked at the edge of what I thought was a bit of the village green. a nearby resident(who I think was a 'immigrant' from a town), informed me I was not allowed to park there as it belonged to the farmer.

So I went to the farm, he was a bit miffed I had interrupted his football(?), I asked politely to stay and he said no problem.

Interferring townie interloper.

Another story - we were parked on a wide verge when a farmer drove past, stopped, backed up - I thought 'here we go'. He said I have lots of space by the farmhouse if you want, with water and electric. I thanked him and said we were fine and he went on his cheery way.

I find country folk very accomodating if one knows when/where not to interfer with their activities - harvest etc.

Geoff

Same here.... In many many years of "camping" off grid in many different ways...
I've yet to meet any hostility or problems... Had many many fascinating conversations with folks from all walks of life...
Helps when you avoid built up areas and folks in general I guess..
However first thing I usually do when I find somewhere to stop (avoiding houses and being overlooked ideally) is get a carrier bag out and the litter picker out and do a spot of tidying up.... Feels like least I can do...
IF I was challenged... Legality of it has almost nothing to do with it in my eyes...
IF I'm not wanted there, then frankly I don't want to be there.... Always somewhere else to find IMHO.

I think that the last statement in Michael's post says that they did indeed do what everyone else would, he left the car park!

Phill

Tiverton Canal:I had some one park up as tight as they could behind me in this car park, I was parallel parked opposite the marked bays as I was way to long for a bay, and car park was almost empty. I heard lots of revving as he manoeuvre round past all the empty bays to block me in!
I don't think he realised I was in the van and when I poked my head out of the window as he walked by and ask if there was a problem he was startled :wave:
No he replied and rushed off. He had parked 4" of the back of my (steel!) bumper. Fortuitously I had left an escape route at the front:p

Some people are just twats/jealous/territorial or have an anger disability and that's life

Yes

Tiverton Canal:I had some one park up as tight as they could behind me in this car park, I was parallel parked opposite the marked bays as I was way to long for a bay, and car park was almost empty. I heard lots of revving as he manoeuvre round past all the empty bays to block me in!
I don't think he realised I was in the van and when I poked my head out of the window as he walked by and ask if there was a problem he was startled :wave:
No he replied and rushed off. He had parked 4" of the back of my (steel!) bumper. Fortuitously I had left an escape route at the front:p

Some people are just twats/jealous/territorial or have an anger disability and that's life

Yes at 6.5 m we usually have to park across 3 or 4 spaces.
Can only be done if CP is mainly MT and so not annoying others.
Will park normally if the kerb is low enuff and no wall or fence or the like.
But will straddle 2 bays so enuff room to turn and get out.

Usually in a store or retail park carpark
Very wary of Council "Pay carparks"

The lesson to learn is to stick to the wildcamping rule one: always park up facing the exit, with a clear route out. Tucking yourself into a corner is never a good idea.

How does that work? always park up facing the exit, with a clear route out So someone just pulls up in front of you blocking your exit - sure if you're lucky you might be able to reverse but then the person(s) obstructing you can just keep moving forward hindering your escape route.

Seem to hand out blue badges quite easily. Why do blue badge holders gat free parking? How do loads of them manage round Asda for a full shop then return to their new car? Can I complain if a blue badge holder parks in a non disabled space? Terribly abused scheme.

Seem to hand out blue badges quite easily. Why do blue badge holders gat free parking? How do loads of them manage round Asda for a full shop then return to their new car? Can I complain if a blue badge holder parks in a non disabled space? Terribly abused scheme.
Most ASDAs have electric buggies that are available for shoppers with limited mobility. My mum used to love driving one! Think she thought she was at the Fairground Dodgeems :)

Try applying for one, I think you will find they don't..

I have a blue badge, but I was refused first and had to re-apply. When I first applied I had to go to a meeting and be assessed, I was still on crutches and unable to walk any distance at all with out feeling severe pain. But they refused me my badge.
I then went to the Chronic Pain Team at the hospital and they noted me as considerably disabled. I then re-applied and managed to get a blue badge.

Even now each time I renew, it's forms to fill in, forms to send, even though they have it on record that I will not improve and now have heart issues that also adds to the issues!!.

But I must admit I do see a lot of people using these blue badges and you do sometimes think "WHY HAVE THEY GOT ONE" but none of us know if they have unforeseen illness or disabling pain.

Before I got mine I used to see folk parking in the disabled bays, going into the shops, then returning carrying bags of shopping, loading the car and drive off. It really got on my nerves and still does at times but I used to think that I can't do that and I got refused!! How did they get a badge and it really p*s*ed me off.

As for free parking, you don't always have free parking. Even some hospitals don't do free disabled parking. But for the reason most are free is down to one of the questions asked I think. "Can you reach a parking meter to pay"

Also a lot of disabled like myself are not working or claiming any benefits. So why should they/we pay to park. We or I have to pay for all my meds etc but wouldn't if I was claiming benefits. So it's nice to get something for nowt even if it's a parking spot!

AND
NO you can't complain if someone is displaying a badge in a none disabled spot. LOL and why would you, you can walk better than most go park further away!!

Yes some use other peoples badges and that needs to be policed in some way. Maybe parking attendants should do spot checks on them to make sure the face fits. Then give the abusers of the badges the £1000 fine as they say plus ban them from getting a badge for the next 5 years or so. Maybe that would stop a lot of them being abused..

Talking about/moaning about misuse of allocated parking spaces, I will say I do get a little annoyed about the number of "child and parent" spaces taking up loads of space in a shop carpark, especially when you are just nipping in for one thing.

I have ZERO issue with "blue badge" space reservation, and it is a hardly a massive bonus to provide someone living with usually much bigger issues than having to find a blooming parking space, but having a child is a choice and I don't really see why having a parking space closer to the door is that essential if you have children?
And yes, if happen to be going shopping at say 8PM, I will ignore the "parent and child" markings if I wanted to park closer as those children should be at home and probably in bed by that time.

Talking about/moaning about misuse of allocated parking spaces, I will say I do get a little annoyed about the number of "child and parent" spaces taking up loads of space in a shop carpark, especially when you are just nipping in for one thing..

I don't understand why they are always close to the shop. If they were at the other end of the car park, they would be fine - if the children are in a pushchair, it shouldn't be any problem to push them to the shop, if they are toddlers they should be having their hand held so should be safe, and the shop could have a trolley bay next to the spaces for people that want to put them in the trolley seat.

In my experience, I've found that sometimes older kids will fling the car door open, with not a thought for the vehicle parked next to them, so wider spaces tend to negate this problem.

Phill

More exercise, less obese kids [emoji106], start them out the right way, we weren't modiecoddled like they are today.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Try applying for one, I think you will find they don't..

I have a blue badge, but I was refused first and had to re-apply. When I first applied I had to go to a meeting and be assessed, I was still on crutches and unable to walk any distance at all with out feeling severe pain. But they refused me my badge.
I then went to the Chronic Pain Team at the hospital and they noted me as considerably disabled. I then re-applied and managed to get a blue badge.

Even now each time I renew, it's forms to fill in, forms to send, even though they have it on record that I will not improve and now have heart issues that also adds to the issues!!.

But I must admit I do see a lot of people using these blue badges and you do sometimes think "WHY HAVE THEY GOT ONE" but none of us know if they have unforeseen illness or disabling pain.

Before I got mine I used to see folk parking in the disabled bays, going into the shops, then returning carrying bags of shopping, loading the car and drive off. It really got on my nerves and still does at times but I used to think that I can't do that and I got refused!! How did they get a badge and it really p*s*ed me off.

As for free parking, you don't always have free parking. Even some hospitals don't do free disabled parking. But for the reason most are free is down to one of the questions asked I think. "Can you reach a parking meter to pay"

Also a lot of disabled like myself are not working or claiming any benefits. So why should they/we pay to park. We or I have to pay for all my meds etc but wouldn't if I was claiming benefits. So it's nice to get something for nowt even if it's a parking spot!

AND
NO you can't complain if someone is displaying a badge in a none disabled spot. LOL and why would you, you can walk better than most go park further away!!

Yes some use other peoples badges and that needs to be policed in some way. Maybe parking attendants should do spot checks on them to make sure the face fits. Then give the abusers of the badges the £1000 fine as they say plus ban them from getting a badge for the next 5 years or so. Maybe that would stop a lot of them being abused..

Ah, but you are quite clearly a genuine case and you have my sympathy. I still don't think disabled badge holders should get automatic free parking though. Doesn't mean you are any poorer off than any other person. Anyway, you should move to Scotland, land of the freebie, if you even have a slight cold, our nanny state will look after you. Unless you are unfortunate enough to have a job when you will be hammered by direct/indirect taxation. . Maybe I'm just getting more cynical as I get older. LOL Take care, Bob.

Im sorry guys but I don’t humour fools like this blue badge or not he’s a tosser maybe that’s his criteria for a blue badge being a knob head funny I’ve had a couple start out like this but they seem to feck of pretty smart once I’ve explained the error of there ways in a strong Glaswegian accent. Works better the further south you go.

Weegies don’t frighten me pal.

Apart from the one I’m married to. 🤔👀

Cheers

H

Talking about/moaning about misuse of allocated parking spaces, I will say I do get a little annoyed about the number of "child and parent" spaces taking up loads of space in a shop carpark, especially when you are just nipping in for one thing.

I have ZERO issue with "blue badge" space reservation, and it is a hardly a massive bonus to provide someone living with usually much bigger issues than having to find a blooming parking space, but having a child is a choice and I don't really see why having a parking space closer to the door is that essential if you have children?
And yes, if happen to be going shopping at say 8PM, I will ignore the "parent and child" markings if I wanted to park closer as those children should be at home and probably in bed by that time.
Spot on. This is one of my pet hates. Recently I drove my elderly mother to a retail park in her car. She has a blue badge, but all the disabled spaces were occupied so I parked in a free parent and child spot. Got a mouthful of abuse from some entitled young kid with sprog in tow. Gave her a mouthful of abuse back and asked her if she really wanted my elderly mother to hobble across the car park so that the spawn of her pathetic sweaty fumblings could have a lift straight to the door. Make the sodding sprog walk, it's good for them! :baby:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back