We got away to Norway.

2 booze related stories from when we lived in a Norway, things may have changed now though.

Back then wines and spirits had to be purchased from government shops (vinmonopol) and purchases were pretty tightly controlled. We had a visit to our office from some high ranking French executives so decided to lay on a bit of an evening for them. I went to the vinmonopol and attempted to buy all our requirements. The result was I got put on the blacklist by the vinmonopol and wasn’t allowed to buy any more booze for a month despite me explaining that I wasn’t buying for my own personal consumption.

We kept a boat south of Bergen and decided to take it away one weekend when the weather was really good. We had forgotten to stock up on beer but no problem because beer could be purchased in supermarkets, so I headed off to buy a crate of beer for the weekend. Unknown to me each district (kommune) in a Norway has slightly different rules regarding booze and in the kommune where we kept the boat a crate of beer had to be ordered a week in advance, purchasers on the day were allowed 2 bottles! So a fantastic weekend in the boat in beautiful weather with only 2 bottles of beer!!
We,ve got enough aboard for a few years then at that rate 😁

Tonight's park up is off the E45 about 30 miles south of Karesuando which is the northernmost town in sweden.We crossed the bridge there to finland just to test the water and got turned back having come from sweden which is understandable.I would guess that had we stayed in norway and crossed the border further north into finland we,d of been allowed in.There were numerous motorhomes coming into sweden while we were posing in front of the direction and mileage post.
20200830_155227.jpg
20200830_174606.jpg
20200830_174446.jpg
20200830_143053.jpg

Are the majority of tourers Scandanavian? Lots of Brits and Germans?

Are the majority of tourers Scandanavian? Lots of Brits and Germans?
We,ve not done a head count but we,ve seen a majority of scandinavian.Mostly norwegian in norway with a mixture of the usual german a few french occasional netherland,yellow front number plates.The o ly brit we,ve seen is on the boat to norway. A charming young girl from the states but who is now living in plymouth working at derriford hospital as a nurse,touring norway in a self converted T5 or T4 not sure but 1998 and a 19 td engine,white with Ernie written on it in big letters.We know her life story as she never stopped talking for most of the trip over 😁

we,ve tried to keep to ourselves so passed bye if a spot was occupied.we,ve carried on to a previous place which we really rate as the best on the E52 road,Beside lake kokkajarvi.We,ve stopped there twice now,both times had a quiet night.
Last night there was a large full moon low in the sky but glowing a bright yellow across the lake and lighting up the neighbourhood,magical.
My photographs don't really do it justice.
We,re now moving south down through sweden on the main E45,called into jokkamok arctic circle site and took a selfie etc,.Now parked up beside a river off the main road at Lomselenas.
full moon over lake kokkajarvi.jpg
northern lights and full moon.jpg
DSC_0388.JPG

we,ve tried to keep to ourselves so passed bye if a spot was occupied.we,ve carried on to a previous place which we really rate as the best on the E52 road,Beside lake kokkajarvi.We,ve stopped there twice now,both times had a quiet night.
Last night there was a large full moon low in the sky but glowing a bright yellow across the lake and lighting up the neighbourhood,magical.
My photographs don't really do it justice.
We,re now moving south down through sweden on the main E45,called into jokkamok arctic circle site and took a selfie etc,.Now parked up beside a river off the main road at Lomselenas.View attachment 86091View attachment 86092View attachment 86093
Thanks for posting great pics and update it's the first time I have went ohhhh looking at the second pic, wish i was there, have a great adventure, gerry

On our way north last year we stopped in this spot mid september and had our first view of the northern lights by motorhome.Last night we had another show,only for a half hour or so but plain to see.Jan watched from inside looking through the front screen and I had a chance to quickly setup and take a couple photos.Our view from inside this morning the chairs are as we found them,inviting someone to sit down relax
from a distance 300 miles south.jpg
20200902_070304.jpg
and watch the show.

I,ve just this minute contacted the danish police.As far as Denmark is concerned both sweden and united kingdom are safe countries and we are ok to pass through or visit.I asked because at this moment we don't fancy ferry trips so intend to use the Oresund bridge and the storebaelt bridge,it's only money.

I,ve just this minute contacted the danish police.As far as Denmark is concerned both sweden and united kingdom are safe countries and we are ok to pass through or visit.I asked because at this moment we don't fancy ferry trips so intend to use the Oresund bridge and the storebaelt bridge,it's only money.
Interesting and helpful !
Our "outline" plan for 2021 involves using the 2 bridges both ways.
We do not like ferries but the 2 hr Speed Ferry Kristiansand-Hirtsals is a viable option ..except either it is not running or we are too long ?
Strange as we used it in 2016 ! Bridges are not that costly when you look at ferry prices.
Combining the Oresund bridge with Rodby to Puttgarden seems OK but in all probability it will be 2x Bridges both ways
Not booked as yet :unsure: :devilish:😁

Love the Storebaelt bridge, but find Oresund boring and expensive. Only used it once and back to Helsingor-Helsingborg ferry.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back