We got away to Norway.

Ha !
Seeing your route !
We also like Grobbendonk and
Andalsnes followed by the Atlantic Bridges and Kristiansund
We hadn,t stopped in Andalsnes before so a novelty for us as we were knee deep in snow when we called in there on a p&o cruise.Past there now,we,re under a bridge by an old pier.
Stokkoya

Further north now, to the left of Trondheim.
We had heavy rain and thunder last night so pulled into a large car park for the night.Good weather again today and another scenic drive to a deep water mark under a bridge.Just along from a picnic area.
20200820_163825.jpg
20200820_220554.jpg
20200820_164117.jpg

I missed the start of your thread. Been busy.
As said elsewhere, I’d started making plans to do the Scandinavian thing. It was going well until I started adding the ferry costs up. Especially with this lurgie going on.
If it’s okay with you, I’ll come along for the ( virtual) ride. Just make sure that I enjoy myself 😂 please.
BTW. So far so good 👍
Boris and co have put the kybosh on the Normandy trip. I’ve joined the Motorhomer tribal caravan for now. Stratford-upon-Avon ain’t Sweden.😤

Last edited:
I missed the start of your thread. Been busy.
As said elsewhere, I’d started making plans to do the Scandinavian thing. It was going well until I started adding the ferry costs up. Especially with this lurgie going on.
If it’s okay with you, I’ll come along for the ( virtual) ride. Just make sure that I enjoy myself 😂 please.
BTW. So far so good 👍
Boris and co have put the kybosh on the Normandy trip. I’ve joined the Motorhomer tribal caravan for now. Stratford-upon-Avon ain’t Sweden.😤
This trip started out as plan A with plan B being a wander round denmark and germany.We had a big sigh of relief getting off the ferry at alesund and celebrated with one of their big cheeseburgers along the way.Time is on our side,nothing to go back to but wandering round our back garden.Havent seen anyone but us wearing masks by the way.

We,re up past the arctic circle now.Spent the night on a great large rest area beside the E6 along with 5 or 6 others. Bitterly cold nights but all amenitys here to empty out and top up fresh water.I topped up with lpg in Moi Rana a few miles back and got the cheapest diesel so far just past the arctic circle centre.Studying the clear outside app and Aurora forecast and planning our route to get a good chance of seeing the northern lights.
A few photos along the way and our table for two last night.
20200823_141150.jpg
20200825_065437.jpg
20200824_150607.jpg
20200824_204018.jpg

With no Canada for us this year and almost certaily not in 2021.
Norway "revisited" is our plan for 2021 (covid allowing)
If Sweden is OK we would reverse or previous route not go through Finland or up to Nordkapp
so North to Kiruna maybe a bit more coastal in Sweden rather thann E45 (which is very good)
Cross into Norway then South deviating from the E6 as much as possible.
More time in Bergen area, Fjordland and Telemark...
Go over "The roof of Norway" again, in the opposite direction
BUT who knows

With no Canada for us this year and almost certaily not in 2021.
Norway "revisited" is our plan for 2021 (covid allowing)
If Sweden is OK we would reverse or previous route not go through Finland or up to Nordkapp
so North to Kiruna maybe a bit more coastal in Sweden rather thann E45 (which is very good)
Cross into Norway then South deviating from the E6 as much as possible.
More time in Bergen area, Fjordland and Telemark...
Go over "The roof of Norway" again, in the opposite direction
BUT who knows
Sounds like a great plan to me,I'll look out for your trip.

The more you’ve posted the more I’m determined to go there next year, provided we’re allowed there. Is there a best time to visit for a couple of months? I’d prefer the darker nights rather than the lighter nights for a chance of seeing the Borealis, so I’d guess this is about the time before the cold sets in

The more you’ve posted the more I’m determined to go there next year, provided we’re allowed there. Is there a best time to visit for a couple of months? I’d prefer the darker nights rather than the lighter nights for a chance of seeing the Borealis, so I’d guess this is about the time before the cold sets in
August is when the nights start so I,ve been told so do the lights.I'd of preferred to start off end of august after the midges have thinned out,about now for as long as it takes before the snow starts.We havent been here that late in the year but others have.Last year we saw the lights better in north sweden but only because it was cloudier in norway later on.Seriously thinking of crossing into finland this trip,border control and heading down sweden,no border control and over to Germany via a ferry.

I think from now onwards to see the lights. We saw them better in Sweden due to the fact we had less clouds on those days.
At the moment it,s the clouds thats stopping us.We saw a glimpse last night but only through heavy clouds.

I’d better go and check for myself to satisfy my curiosity ;)

very much liking what I’ve seen so far (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back