Wales 20mph limit starts Sept 17th - a heads-up

Just done my cpc again and this was a huge discussion. As pointed out no new cars are suited to doing twenty MPH Its all between gears (1st is too low, 2nd to high, third non starter fourth stalls etc) also its nt fuel efficent especially in these frugal times! and as a LGV or Coach driver it'll drive ye nuts!! up and down gears like a yoyyo!! ...Like everyone else I get the safety aspect however where did common sense go?? no teaching of road safety anywhere other than at home (If that happens at every home - most parents will do but many won't) It just seems to smack of 'anti motorist' gawd well all be riding horses and carts pulled by oxen or coos even!! if the H&S lot get there way (At least the anti meat brigade will be happy nae mair gee gee's or ox, nor coo's killed fur meat! Now if they could only fin a use fur sheep they'd be made!! ...weel a use ither than the ones suggested ootside welsh wwales!! LOL )

Slower max speed = less braking not more. I have driven and walked around some places in europe that have equivalent speed limit. They don’t feel slow and feel calmer. The cars don’t rush at you. The main problem is cars are not designed to be efficient at 20 or have gears for 20. the fuel consumption tests are at 30. 1/3 less speed but probably much less than 1/3 less fuel. Also please note fuel consumption and pollution is per mile not per minute, longer journey times do not mean more pollution

I'm letting go my cps and tacho card fergie keys hung up
cmc ain't cheap course nooo mate
I did it through Driver hire, not that I intend going back to driving truck it was just something to do as I was bored!! even more so doing it!! still it updated my vague knowledge and a times a good debating session. I'm hoping to be back on road end of or early next year! Waheey!!

Just done my cpc again and this was a huge discussion. As pointed out no new cars are suited to doing twenty MPH Its all between gears (1st is too low, 2nd to high, third non starter fourth stalls etc) also its nt fuel efficent especially in these frugal times! and as a LGV or Coach driver it'll drive ye nuts!! up and down gears like a yoyyo!! ...Like everyone else I get the safety aspect however where did common sense go?? no teaching of road safety anywhere other than at home (If that happens at every home - most parents will do but many won't) It just seems to smack of 'anti motorist' gawd well all be riding horses and carts pulled by oxen or coos even!! if the H&S lot get there way (At least the anti meat brigade will be happy nae mair gee gee's or ox, nor coo's killed fur meat! Now if they could only fin a use fur sheep they'd be made!! ...weel a use ither than the ones suggested ootside welsh wwales!! LOL )
We have had 20mph zones for decades, I've driven several modern ice cars in them and have never had to keep any of them in first at 20.

A 20 zone crept up on my Crafter this afternoon on the way up to Inverewe.
By the time my Auto gearbox had got over the shock it had undershot considerably and I had to coax the van very gently back up to the 20 limit before I could engage cruise control, I was so fixated on the speedo I completely missed the school or whatever the limit was in place for.

but together we made it through, average speed was probably around 14mph 😀

Busy towns and cities aren't the real problem , it's the rural villages , all got street lights and speed restrictions, apart from the morning and afternoon school run rush hours totally devoid of pedestrians, our local one is about 3miles of a road, good pavements just never see a pedestrian apart from the kids catching the school bus. During the hours of darkness even the 30 limit is totally ignored
S

When I drive in a 30mph limit I rarely achieve 30mph. The traffic in front of me dictates the speed at which I travel.
Experiments have shown that traffic flows more freely when everyone is travelling at the same steady speed and, I guess, more traffic will be able to maintain 20mph in a built up area than can maintain 30 mph, with traffic lights, road junctions, crossing pedestrians, etc.

So it's NOT a case of your journey time being 50% longer except for those odd hours when you could actually drive at the limit. AND in those hours, did you drive AT the limit or did you exceed it? If then, why not now???

Gordon
Not sure where you’re driving, but when I drive I can consistently drive at or around 30 in all the 30 mph zones. Easily, safely and efficiently. To suggest that dropping to 20mph won’t increase journey times is disengenious at best.

Well contrary to all the predictions of doom and chaos it seems that the new 20mph limit has made no difference to journey times of full time delivery drivers.

That article doesn’t state that. It says that Sainsbury and Tesco won’t be changing delivery schedules or costs, adding that it’s too early to assess the impact that this will have.

Not sure where you’re driving, but when I drive I can consistently drive at or around 30 in all the 30 mph zones. Easily, safely and efficiently. To suggest that dropping to 20mph won’t increase journey times is disengenious at best.
Today I drove through Fakenham: yes, 30mph for the first 100metres, then LH turn over a bridge, roundabout, 20m to next roundabout, 20mph limit for 100m (slowed to allow large lorry to swing out from RH road), double roundabout, 100m to narrow section of road (stopped to let truck through in opposite direction), 200m to large lorry reversing on opposite side of road (slowed just in case), 100m to Give Way junction (stopped until traffic was clear enough to turn right) 200m to roundabout, turn left, 50m to 40mph limit. At no time was my passage affected by traffic in front of me driving in my direction.
I suspect that averaging 20mph would have been optimistic.

Gordon

Both my van and my car will sit at 20mph no problem, all this is just folks don’t like change. You old foggies 😂😂😂😂
My van will but car no mission, stalls dead easy unless the flywheel is spun up to 3000rpm letting of the gas and catching it with the clutch on the way down, even a small hill sees me down to 3 gear and giving it the beens or else it dies, many high tunned cars are like this, no torque and all bhp top end.

Back