Wales 20mph limit starts Sept 17th - a heads-up

This video highlighted something which you might call a modern phenomenon, people making money from online videos, this could be seen as business use of a vehicle, and would require the correct insurance.

This video highlighted something which you might call a modern phenomenon, people making money from online videos, this could be seen as business use of a vehicle, and would require the correct insurance.

I don't buy that. The cop was a complete knob who was out to get them for anything he possibly could.

Does that mean he would stop every vehicle with a camera in case they were Youtubers? It was a ridiculous and officious incident, hence he was ridiculed by his colleagues and the Welsh Police issued an apology.

I don't buy that. The cop was a complete knob who was out to get them for anything he possibly could.
Quite probably, and I guess he either had a thing about Youtubers and/or bikers, but I noticed the evasive answers given around insurance.

It will also depend on road and weather conditions, local events etc so the 20 limit isn't the only factor, but I expect they will put the emphasis on that, we have them all over the place up here now.

If anyone thinks that the data shows cause and effect, they need to speak to someone.

These two statements are true:

1) The speed limit was reduced in Sept 23.

2) the number of KSI in Q1 24 is less than Q1 23.

But there is absolutely nothing to show a link between the two. You may as well argue that as KSI in Q4 23 was higher than Q4 22, the reduction in limits has made it worse.

It’s people deliberately misrepresenting the data and analysis this way that gets in the way of road safety.

That reminded me of another (unrelated) saying.

Every single person who confuses correlation with causation will eventually die.
It’s a bit like the classic study that showed how the murder rate in New York increased as ice cream sales increased.

As I say, it’s a shame, because this simplistic reporting, misleading analysis and populist soundbites seriously impacts on road safety.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back