Vehicle average MPG ?

Olive oil works too, makes it all slippery.

There was a constipated mathematician, he worked it out with a pencil

Ghost story sorts that out. :eek:
Or, as the 'Two Ronnies' link from Ronnie Corbett started, 'And, in the sketch which follows, about Ghosties and Ghoulies, I play the part of the man who is taken by the Ghosties ...'

To which Rnnie Barker added, 'And I play the part of the man who is taken by surprise ...' :D

Steve

I like to stretch my fuel as far as possible, still cant find it on the map as yet. :unsure:
It's next to 'Nice Idea', but I've no idea where that is, either ... They should be neighbouring towns, like the Wallops in Hampshire. Or the Piddles ... :D

Steve

I don’t check any more I just top up as needed. One occasion this year I used almost half a tank just running the diesel heater but it was cold and wet for ages. End of the day it doesn’t matter to me, if I am using too much at a given time I just park up a bit longer. Not got to be anywhere usually so doesn’t make a difference :)

We seem to get 400 plus on a tank so we fill up whenever we see a decent price or 1/4 full, I have petrol prices app so I have a search as we approach any big towns.

I check my MPG on both the motorhome and car after every fill up because i reset the trip meter to 0 then it`s a brim to brim check.

The cars computer is remarkably accurate.

IMHO, a sudden drop in MPG indicates the beginning of a problem and will be investigated immediately or at the first opportunity.

This is my way of doing and it works for me :)

I check my MPG on both the motorhome and car after every fill up because i reset the trip meter to 0 then it`s a brim to brim check.

The cars computer is remarkably accurate.

IMHO, a sudden drop in MPG indicates the beginning of a problem and will be investigated immediately or at the first opportunity.

This is my way of doing and it works for me :)
Like you I have always kept fuel consumption records on all of my vehicles. New to Motorhome travelling (was previously a caravaner for about 50 years) the 2.2 litre Fiat Autotrail motorhome results have been very interesting. On a trip to Scotlands NW 500 and Skye from Lincolnshire keeping the water tank full gave us an eye-watering 14 mpg. A trip to Anglesey keeping the level at about quarter full was mid 20s. A trip home from Devon with an empty tank came out at 37 mpg. Needless to say I shall be in future be doing the longer stretches with minimum water onboard. Seems to be important consideration in these days of increasing costs everywhere.

Like you I have always kept fuel consumption records on all of my vehicles. New to Motorhome travelling (was previously a caravaner for about 50 years) the 2.2 litre Fiat Autotrail motorhome results have been very interesting. On a trip to Scotlands NW 500 and Skye from Lincolnshire keeping the water tank full gave us an eye-watering 14 mpg. A trip to Anglesey keeping the level at about quarter full was mid 20s. A trip home from Devon with an empty tank came out at 37 mpg. Needless to say I shall be in future be doing the longer stretches with minimum water onboard. Seems to be important consideration in these days of increasing costs everywhere.
There is no way on earth a 100 Litres of water (100 kg) is going to make 23mpg difference on any vehicle, I suspect you were in less of a hurry coming back from devon than going to Scotland.

I did a brief check on the last trip, and it was 29mpg ish 2.2 Ducato, but the dash lies to me, tells me anything up to 37mpg but usually around 33.

Bearing in mind the ECU monitors the fuel as it squirts it into the engine, and it can see the miles I've done, why is it so far out?

How long a distance did you measure over for your manual calculation.

How certain are you that you measured to he same level?

Was the van in the same place for your measurements (a slope could be make a difference)

Does your ECU display average mpg and id so what is it?

10% difference between your calculation and the van's isn't that big a difference.

I didn't keep the info

Petrol stations are mostly level and I brim plust two click every time I fill up.

Was the van in the same place for your measurements (a slope could be make a difference)

that seems like a waste of fuel unless I misunderstand the question.
The average is in an indicated 37mpg max, 33mpg is about where it normally is.

10% difference between your calculation and the van's isn't that big a difference.
I agree.

My post #12 gives the sad answers to your sad questions :D. We should meet up to discuss [we'll be the 2 with the anoraks with fur lined hood to catch the dandruff, carrying a Banner that reads 'I need to get a life. I got a divorce ...' :D

Steve [not being entirely serious ... but putting the anal in analysis, and diesel in the tank; to the first click}

MPG is something I don't worry about too much if it stays about the same the damned thing won't run without fuel, car does best part of 50mpg around town but varies upon the type of journey all motorway will see it get up to around 62/64 ish with CC on at 60mph .

I actually keep a ‘Rough’ check on Boxy’s MPG, & the kinda Use as I find it helps me Gauge Running Costs & therefore Budget better.
Obviously it’s hardly ever the exact same as Road & Terrain type changes. But it gives me an idea that gets put into the melting pot so I can divide up my Monthly allowance for my lifestyle choices.

Donuts STILL have the BIGGEST Budget, Followed by Cider, THEN Diesel (as I have to use Boxey to Purchase the above 🤷🏻‍♂️)

I am averaging 28 to 31 with my LWB 2.1 sprinter fully loaded including full water tank and I don't spare the horses. Smooth as silk and plenty of power. Noticed I get better mileage using super premium diesel.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back