Using the Motorhome as transport

My camper is my only vehicle and do wonder how folks manage if they need to drive to reach quiet places for exercise.
Fortunately not a problem for me living at the top of a remote village in Wales.
Two minutes from home I'm in the countryside. The van hasn't moved all week.

I will be taking my motorhome out for a quick run over the weekend just to free everything up, especially the brakes.

There will only be me in it, i will not stop or get out obviously until i get back home.

My MOT ( a week on saturday ) has now been cancelled so it won`t even get taken out for that.

I`ve looked long and hard but cannot find the scheme that will pay for new calipers, pads and discs when they`ve seized up through lack of use.

Last edited:
From The Telegraph question and answer information about travel and using transport:-

“Q: Can I drive during lockdown?
A: Under Government rules cars can be used, but only for essential journeys such as to buy food or medicine. If you are making a car journey, Public Health England says that people should drive alone or only with other members of their household. People with any symptoms of coronavirus or who are self-isolating should not be making any journeys.”

Just a reminder that if you are using a motorhome or camper to make an essential journey to buy food or medicine, and you carry shopping in your habitation area, you may be best advised to clean and disinfect all work surfaces after each trip.

And in the case of any vehicle used including cars, clean and disinfect the steering wheel, gear knob, door handles, fuel filler cap, and any other parts of the vehicle that you normally touch. Wear disposable gloves if you can, especially when holding a fuel pump nozzle when refuelling.

Last edited:
Just sends out the wrong message. Someone sees a MH parked by the beach and the next thing you know there will be 2 of them, then 4, then 16, then 256, then 65,536. All with the attitude of " If he can do it so can we "
OH YER ok.pj

Cannot see how using the van rather than the car is fun,both are or can be used for shopping or going to exercise,camper van dont get cov 19 just the same as cars dont,though the virus can live on the surface for 24 hrs,car or van,what it may do is send out the wrong signal to folks.
i think so to.keep going trev. and god be with you. ok.pj.

I used my van today to meet my daughter who had done a shop for me,we both kept our distance,bag and door handles detoled prior to transhipping,remember Lanark, i am taking no chances. I only use my van and i have moved 10 miles away from any shops at my new cottage.
has it got wheels,? could be a no no,the cottage i mean .ok.pj

My camper is my only vehicle and do wonder how folks manage if they need to drive to reach quiet places for exercise.
Fortunately not a problem for me living at the top of a remote village in Wales.
Two minutes from home I'm in the countryside. The van hasn't moved all week.
tre~s bon bien.or thank you very muck, ,ok.pj

I will be taking my motorhome out for a quick run over the weekend just to free everything up, especially the brakes.

There will only be me in it, i will not stop or get out obviously until i get back home.

My MOT ( a week on saturday ) has now been cancelled so it won`t even get taken out for that.

I`ve looked long and hard but cannot find the scheme that will pay for new calipers, pads and discs when they`ve seized up through lack of use.
Better hope you don’t get stopped by the police. Using the excuse that the van needs a run won’t cut it with them. Life’s are worth more than callipers.

What Derbyshire police think is not essential.

I know the rules & why they are in place, but how can the govt possibly expect us to take them seriously when they say we are putting lives at risk by walking in isolation in the peak district, while at the same time telling us that most of us are safe to go to work?
My friends boss is insisting that they all go into work as normal fitting shop fronts & roller shutters, & told him last night that today one of them has to go to fit a roller shutter in Leeds General Hospital!
Fail to see how that's any safer than a will in the countryside....

How is that justified? Brace yourself for the backlash from all the members here who have been most vocal on the subject of people driving their campers around....

Park it in gear with hand brake off should be OK

I know the rules & why they are in place, but how can the govt possibly expect us to take them seriously when they say we are putting lives at risk by walking in isolation in the peak district, while at the same time telling us that most of us are safe to go to work?
My friends boss is insisting that they all go into work as normal fitting shop fronts & roller shutters, & told him last night that today one of them has to go to fit a roller shutter in Leeds General Hospital!
Fail to see how that's any safer than a will in the countryside....

Here's the deal, gov want business life to continue if possible whilst trying to keep social distancing, their modeling (which I'm not so certain of) includes an allowance for CV-19 being passed on at work.

Understand that, all I'm saying is while people are being forced to be in close proximity to others, how can they then expect those same people to stay away from the countryside?
My friend, quite rightly IMO is a little mobbed off that he can't walk up the street to see his Lady friend of an evening, yet against his own judgement is expected not only to work on non essential jobs, but of all places in a bloody hospital! Bearing in mind, his boss hasn't issued any of his workforce with any ppe whatsoever....
Just occurs to me that folk might take the issue more seriously if all the rules were more uniform ....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back