Trip to France

Not this one Rob.

This one Kev?

1714118806543.png

We are currently parked up at Graveline, today is market day so Lorraine is happy, Roxys pet passport sorted at the local vets, Saturday evening we are on the shuttle then overnight on farthing common car park Folkestone, before our slow journey to Hereford for the May bank Holiday rally. Safe journey everyone 👍

Battle of Britain memorial place.

We've parked up about 30 mins from the ferry, been driving around my old courier haunts from the 80s, I used to deliver into SA Labels into Folkstone and Dover docks, then pick up a return load from B&W speakers in Lansing, to be finished in Bradford.

8am I am told un Dunkirk, so we'll have a look around there the head south doing Pegasus bridge and Normandy on the way back up, so we don't over do the WW2 stuff.

Well don't make the same mistake I did on our very first trip to France. Pegasus Bridge was our very first stop over. I programmed in the lat and long to a spot I had researched before we left but I put degrees East instead of West. Luckily they are quite near so I was only about 40 miles out when I realised. :D

Of course if you are heading to Normandy you would have been better off going to Calais as its 20 miles further south but at least you will be in France :D

Dunkirk we thought would be better if you're going to Dunkirk.

I honestly don't think I have ever looked round it. We sometimes used to spend the night here just outside if we were heading east the next day towards Germany or the Alps. Bergues is like a village on the outskirts. Quite nice from memory. The parking gets busy though with lots of vans coming from or going to the ferry. Shed loads of space though.

8am I am told un Dunkirk, so we'll have a look around there the head south doing Pegasus bridge and Normandy on the way back up, so we don't over do the WW2 stuff.
if you can spare the time please visit the commonwealth war cemetery in Dunkirk (and sign the book) as well as the excellent museum (memorial du souvenir) dedicated to operation Dynamo
(my paternal grandad was evacuated from the Bray Dunes beach in 1940)

Attachments

• IMG_2236.JPG
    IMG_2236.JPG
    665.5 KB · Views: 7
  • P1020604.JPG
    P1020604.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 10
  • P1020612.JPG
    P1020612.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20130907_114147.jpg
    20130907_114147.jpg
    663.9 KB · Views: 6
Well don't make the same mistake I did on our very first trip to France. Pegasus Bridge was our very first stop over. I programmed in the lat and long to a spot I had researched before we left but I put degrees East instead of West. Luckily they are quite near so I was only about 40 miles out when I realised. :D

Of course if you are heading to Normandy you would have been better off going to Calais as its 20 miles further south but at least you will be in France :D
Heading to Normandy, better crossing to Ouistreham or Cherbourg as they're actually in Normandy. :) But plenty of places to see between Dunkerque and Normandy.

I honestly don't think I have ever looked round it. We sometimes used to spend the night here just outside if we were heading east the next day towards Germany or the Alps. Bergues is like a village on the outskirts. Quite nice from memory. The parking gets busy though with lots of vans coming from or going to the ferry. Shed loads of space though.

I spent the occasional night in Dunkerque, including a few in the marina close to the centre. Well worth a visit.

Back