Travel to the EU after January 1st

They stopped issuing them in 1998 but any issued before that are still valid or so I read somewhere.

I think that's right, Rob.

Got a couple of friends who still have their old-fashioned paper licenses.

Think mine was lost when I got done for speeding and was forced to get the new plastic card license as a result.

Moral of the story - don't get caught speeding or breaking any other traffic regulations if you wanted to hang on to your old paper license! ;) (y)

Avoiding the vaccine here is a bit on Gibraltar from Jan 1st
An agreement in principle has been reached between the UK and Spain over Gibraltar’s future relationship with the European Union.

The Chief minister says the agreement allows Gibraltar to avert the worst effects of a Hard Brexit. He says no aspect of the agreement transgress Sovereignty, Jurisdiction and Control.

Fabian Picardo says the new proposed agreement will allow Gibraltar to re-set its relationship with Spain.

The agreement will allow for maximised and unrestricted access to the Schengen area, for people and Goods.

A new proposed framework would govern all relationships between Gibraltar and the EU.

Spain as the member state will be responsible for implementing Schengen, which would see the European border Agency Frontex control entry and access points in Gibraltar for an initial period of 4 years.

When asked by GBC, Mr Picardo said people should not be concerned, about Guardia Civil agents controlling Gibraltar’s entry and exit points after the initial 4 year period.

With negotiations having gone to the wire, the Chief Minister says a few lose threads remain and that these will be sorted out over the next few weeks.

https://twitter.com/DVLAgovuk

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps tweeted that if you have GB on your number plate alongside a union flag (as opposed to an EU flag) then you won't need a sticker in most EU countries.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47459859

got mine here https://tinyurl.com/ycof5q7b and arrived in 24 hrs

image.jpg

Last edited:
UK tourism 4% of Spanish GDP last time I looked. Most of that will be short haul holidaymakers. Don't think restricting long termers to 90 days will be that difficult. Many have taken residency and so will spend even more time and money in Spain. Plus will pay income tax to Spain not UK. Will be a counterbalance I think but we will see
I'm intending to do that in Portugal hopefully by the end of this year. Sell up and buy a little land for habitation.

I would suggest you apply sooner rather than later ,even if you don't complete .Rumour in Spain is that eligibility requirements may get tougher including language tests etc .Don't know about Portugal though.

So you will be bale to spend time there as it is non-schengen.
Summer only presumably as it gets very cold in winter

Summer only presumably as it gets very cold in winter
Blizzards and arctic conditions in winter - property there is poor build quality and i've given up on the property only worth 5-6k anyway i reckon but the land is probably worth that anyway

As goods are allowed to freely travel between uk and europe and drivers spend a lot of time there if were lucky the eu may give us more than 90 days but time will tell
Are they? I thought there was a whole load of nee paperwork.
No tariffs or quotas is not quite the same as freedom of movement.

Interesting point about drivers and 90-180 rule.
Probably covered as work?

Who knows? No doubt it will be clarified in due course.

I wondered about this. As it appears our government have done nothing or at least not much to prepare for having to deal with a massive amount of checks and red tape is the outgoing flow of traffic going to be far worse than the incoming? I think they promised 3000-5000 new customs officers but have only recruited 16. This suggests its going to be business as usual for incoming and no checks will be made but it wont be the case the other way around I am sure as the EU and the French will be keen to protect their single market. The point being, there is going to be massive delays getting onto Ferries leaving the UK. How will this effect none commercial traffic, as in us motorhomers? Will there be a lane on the M20 open just for us or will we be stuck up the back of the Queue somewhere near the M25?
Don't forget the 50,000 new (or more accurately more than there would have been) nurses 😀😀

Don’t forget, if you have the new plastic driving licence, the photo is only valid for ten years. After that you have to submit a fresh photo, or your licence becomes invalid.

Looks like some are having travel paperwork problems at heathrow with flights

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back