Travel to the EU after January 1st

The people having paperwork issues were returning residents who had been told they didn't need the new resident card just their older one. Officials got mixed messages and stopped them travelling home. It seems to have been clarified now, but cost some residents thousands in tests and rebooked flights.

Apparently it was Iberian Airlines that didn't know which bits of paper were acceptable.
But given that there's only been 4.5 years to prepare what do you expect? 😀

Yeah, but to be fair they weren't expecting a pandemic to be happening at the exact same time! :ROFLMAO:

Didn't hear that is was anything to do with Covid19.
I'm any event pandemic has been running nearly a year and airlines have pretty well rehearsed procedures to check passengers.
Either way - hardly surprising I'm afraid.

One good thing come out of the Spanish debacle...I have now applied for the biometric Portuguese card which replaces the EU resident certificate. Won't get it for months but have their " proof of application" which is accepted.
I have it on good authority, that printing out each certificate and saving the QR code to your phone will be accepted, until you get the card.
The way lockdown is developing in our county Town, Tavira,
It could be a while before they'll allow face to face interviews..

And it'll be a longer while before we feel happy to go there.
It's now in " Extreme Risk ".

We'll be saving a fortune, by not buying cinema tickets.

Big difference between having a residency somewhere and just winging it on a campsite for a holiday/vacation but until problems start arising no one knows how bad things will become

I have it on good authority, that printing out each certificate and saving the QR code to your phone will be accepted, until you get the card.
The way lockdown is developing in our county Town, Tavira,
It could be a while before they'll allow face to face interviews..

And it'll be a longer while before we feel happy to go there.
It's now in " Extreme Risk ".

We'll be saving a fortune, by not buying cinema tickets.

Yes, have printed out the application acceptance certificate which has a AT code on it. My only issue is that the ***rd wrote Dave's Date of birth down wrong when we applied for residence ( taken from his passport!) So the new paperwork shows it wrongly....the man I spoke to said it will be adjusted when we go for the interview...just hope nobody compares the new form with his passport! The old one doesnt have that information on it so we had no idea it was wrong till we couldn't log on to the site using his d.o.b!

Big difference between having a residency somewhere and just winging it on a campsite for a holiday/vacation but until problems start arising no one knows how bad things will become
"Winging it"? On this campsite, there are strict rules which are being followed rigidly by the much-reduced number who are here. There have been no confirmed cases on this site or the adjacent village and figures in the Province are as low as anywhere. We are not "winging it"; we are being sensible and feel safer here than we would be back in chaotic England.

"Winging it"? On this campsite, there are strict rules which are being followed rigidly by the much-reduced number who are here. There have been no confirmed cases on this site or the adjacent village and figures in the Province are as low as anywhere. We are not "winging it"; we are being sensible and feel safer here than we would be back in chaotic England.
Think you are safer there than here they reckon 1 in 50 have virus here - when and if it hits europe you could have big problems if you dont have residency - and you will have no option other than winging it which is why i used the term - and i always wing it when i go away with no plan other than head south

Alicante area is also going into lockdown again getting really bad here but nothing is coming on the main news :mad:

Think you are safer there than here they reckon 1 in 50 have virus here - when and if it hits europe you could have big problems if you dont have residency - and you will have no option other than winging it which is why i used the term - and i always wing it when i go away with no plan other than head south
We will stay here as long as they let us and the word is that when the Andalucia Junta meet tomorrow to decide the next move not a lot will change. But if things really do get bad and they kick us out (and they didn't during the first lockdown, which was much more severe than the current one) then we'll have to take our chances with the rest of you. No winging it involved - stay until we can't and then come home :)

We will stay here as long as they let us and the word is that when the Andalucia Junta meet tomorrow to decide the next move not a lot will change. But if things really do get bad and they kick us out (and they didn't during the first lockdown, which was much more severe than the current one) then we'll have to take our chances with the rest of you. No winging it involved - stay until we can't and then come home :)

Don't blame you at all.
Would be doing the same if it wasn't for work.

We aren't booked to come back for several months so the situation should have changed by then. Where we are in Portugal it is still very low, and we can stay longer, till it feels safe to return. Glad current rule is testing to go back, it makes sense.

We aren't booked to come back for several months so the situation should have changed by then. Where we are in Portugal it is still very low, and we can stay longer, till it feels safe to return. Glad current rule is testing to go back, it makes sense.

What happens with the 90 day rule. Surely you cannot just stay as long as you like unless you have EU passports. Authorities will surely look at 1st Jan as start of 90 day rule. Overstaying the 90 days in 180 could be very expensive and also lead to a ban from travelling.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back