Travel to the EU after January 1st

Both viewing this differently - i'm saying that to keep drivers and businesses going you may find that they alter the 90/180 rule looking at the level playing field as well - no-one knows what will really happen in the next few months but it may become a necessity for the transport hub therefore opening the door to everyone and just requiring people to prove they can afford to stay ie a regular income work or pension income

You cannot equate workers and tourists. Special arrangements for drivers do not mean special arrangements for tourists.

You cannot equate workers and tourists. Special arrangements for drivers do not mean special arrangements for tourists.
Quite right. As I posted earlier, hauliers and other professionals that might be reasonably expected to spend more than 90 days in the EU in every 180 will be subject to different rules, possibly by obtaining visas or some other waiver. Tourists will not be allowed to overstay unless they have good reason and obtain a visa from each country they will be staying in after their 90 days.

This 90 day ruling thingamabob surely only applies to those who are lucky enough to have enough leisure time (and money) to spend such long periods of time overseas? i.e. retirees or rich b-stewards who don't have to work... 😁 ;)
We will have to use the old fashioned GB sticker Jeff.
I wondered why mine was nicked off the back in Europe this year. Was it you Rog?

For people with pets how do you get round this if it is no longer valid

When the UK was a European Union (EU) member you were able to take your dog or cat from the UK to the EU and back again without them having to go into quarantine, provided that certain conditions - such as having a pet passport and getting them microchipped - were met.
That will continue to be the case for the rest of 2020 while the UK is in a transition period with the EU.
From 1 January 2021, however, pet passports will no longer be valid. This was confirmed by the European Commission after the future EU-UK deal was announced

When the UK was a European Union (EU) member you were able to take your dog or cat from the UK to the EU and back again without them having to go into quarantine, provided that certain conditions - such as having a pet passport and getting them microchipped - were met.
That will continue to be the case for the rest of 2020 while the UK is in a transition period with the EU.
From 1 January 2021, however, pet passports will no longer be valid. This was confirmed by the European Commission after the future EU-UK deal was announced
Think it's only the document which is not considered valid when travelling to the EU . They have to be seen by a vet and a health certificate issued now. But reading This article ok to use passport when returning to Uk if issued before 1st jan, or a health certificate.

And, if like me you have an old fashioned paper driving licence, you may need an International Driving Permit, see UK Government. I suppose I could just give in and go for one of the new fangled plastic ones, I was just trying to do my bit for the environment.

And, if like me you have an old fashioned paper driving licence, you may need an International Driving Permit, see UK Government. I suppose I could just give in and go for one of the new fangled plastic ones, I was just trying to do my bit for the environment.
There has been no paper licence for almost 30 years, think you are well out of date. 😂

Think it's only the document which is not considered valid when travelling to the EU . They have to be seen by a vet and a health certificate issued now. But reading This article ok to use passport when returning to Uk if issued before 1st jan, or a health certificate.

Suppose we will find out soon enough of any pet travel issues

I am wondering if its true that the French are considering extending Visa free travel to France from the UK for 180 days (see article I posted earlier) how it would work in practice. Would you have to stay in France? What happens if after say 100 days in France you decide to go to Spain for a week and get stopped for some reason and they discover you have been in Schengen for 100 days even though you have been legally in France all that time? It could open a can of worms. My idea would be to tour the rest of Europe for three months then spend the last three months in France. When you finally leave though the Schengen system will flag you up (in France) as an overstayer. What happens then? Do you just say "Oh ive been in France all this time"?

All speculation I guess for now.

I wonder if the GB reg plates will still be ok . or back to the good old GB sticker on the back of your van
Taken from gov.uk.
GB stickers and number plates
Display a Great Britain (GB) sticker on the rear of the vehicle and trailer, even if the vehicle has a number plate with the Euro symbol and a GB national identifier.

You do not need to display a GB sticker to drive in Ireland.

We have been quoted £21.40 for transferring all the information to the new Animal Health Certificate, which will be valid for 4 months. In other words, we have to do this every time we go abroad. Just a money making scheme methinks. You can bet your bottom dollar there will be no fixed fee, Vets will be able to charge whatever they like, as usual!

We have been quoted £21.40 for transferring all the information to the new Animal Health Certificate, which will be valid for 4 months. In other words, we have to do this every time we go abroad. Just a money making scheme methinks. You can bet your bottom dollar there will be no fixed fee, Vets will be able to charge whatever they like, as usual!
Our vet has said the uk passport is invalid and we need a AHC and is 10 pages thick written in the language of the country you enter and English. Cost would be approx £100.
He said get a french one as the only downside would be a french vet doing the rabies jab every 3 years, (we will be looking into this ) the uk accepts the french one in and out of the uk.
All a pain in the ass.

This link may be of interest...being updated as situation evolves but makes the new agreement a little clearer

Our vet has said the uk passport is invalid and we need a AHC and is 10 pages thick written in the language of the country you enter and English. Cost would be approx £100.
He said get a french one as the only downside would be a french vet doing the rabies jab every 3 years, (we will be looking into this ) the uk accepts the french one in and out of the uk.
All a pain in the ass.

Yes, but you shouldn't really grumble as the pain will be more in your dog's ass than yours ;)

Due to choices it would not surprise me if proof of covid vaccination becomes a requirement for travel so for those that dont want to take it - it could ruin future plans

Due to choices it would not surprise me if proof of covid vaccination becomes a requirement for travel so for those that dont want to take it - it could ruin future plans

Quantas already in November stated in the future you would have to have had the vaccine to fly with them. I would imagine others will follow suit. I wonder how it would be policed in practice. Pubs, hotels, ferries even? Will you get a certificate? Maybe a microchip! :D

Yes I suspect both a proof of jab and also a very recent test as with "Fit to Fly" will be the norm.
Many considerations
1 does the vaccine stop you transmitting
2 how long does the vaccine last
3 If any certificate includes your passport no ..what happens when you change passport
In principle good but as with many other vaccines (yellow fever for one) how will it all work

Early days ..perhaps pets travelling abroad will need an owners passport

Something like this will perhaps be the way forward to travel again. If you don't have a smart phone you may have to stay at home though.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back