Travel to the EU after January 1st

Amazon France and Germany sell Skinners. Might be worth contacting Skinners to ask for details of retailers abroad.
We have a few stores near us that sell pet food and they all seem to have a huge range, I’ll see if they sell it next time we go.

• Thank You
Reactions: mfw
We often give our dog some fish, which she loves. (Mind you, our dog will eat anything but that's another story). I think I will wean her onto a fish based dry food a few weeks before our next Euro trip, whenever that might be.

Ironic or Not It just ain't a Joking matter and there's No funny side to Covid How can some still take it so lightly 89k + deaths so far

Its what we Brits do though isnt it? Especially the forces like the Army or the Police. We take the piss no matter how bleak the situation and I am quite proud of that. Have you ever read the book "Bravo two Zero"? About the SAS in the first gulf war. At the end when all the battered and tortured British and American POWs were released they were put on two passenger jets and flown out of Iraq. One was full of Americans and one Brits. Two American Fighter planes appeared next to the American flight and the Pilot and copilot proudly saluted their brothers in arms on the passenger jet and they proudly with tears in their eyes reciprocated. Two British Tornados appeared at the window of the British Passenger jet and promptly gave them the wanker hand signal before flying off into the distance. :D Its what we do.

Humour is a coping mechanism some say. I just think we love to take the piss no matter what.

.gov minister this morning, plans to have isolation hotels have/are being looked into but no decision has been made as yet, also these might only apply to those coming in from certain high risk countries, not all countries. So it's still work in progress.

Amazon France and Germany sell Skinners. Might be worth contacting Skinners to ask for details of retailers abroad.
We have a few stores near us that sell pet food and they all seem to have a huge range, I’ll see if they sell it next time we go.
Where are you please @Snapster ? If you are in France, can you recommend any pet store chains?

We are in Brittany ( Cotes D’armor), there are some independent pet stores near us but most large garden centres and DIY stores seem to have pet supplies and large stocks of dried dog food. Pointe Verte, Magasan Verte and Weldom seem to have the largest choice near us.
If anyone needs to know if a specific food is available, let me know and a I’ll have a look.

Thank you @Snapster. People are going to have to find a supply of dog food literally within hours of arriving, I have contacted the supplier of mine (Platinum) to ask if there is anywhere in the Calais area that I'll be able to get it.

The irony is that our food is made in Germany. Hopefully they will find a way round it, I'd be happy to go in with unopened, sealed bags.

I cant understand why animals health certificate only lasts 4 months considering the land mass of europe and surrounding countries have a lot more infections for pets and they just need a passport - maybe someone can explain it as i cant understand the reasoning behind it

When the UK was in the EU, we bought into the EU pet passport scheme which allowed for pets to travel as long as they were complying with the scheme. Now the UK has left, the UK government and DEFRA have come up with the health certificate. It does not have the validity of the passport scheme so is not accepted as such in the EU

Only the DM, but it does appear that hotel quarantine is about to be the norm for UK. Link

Only the DM, but it does appear that hotel quarantine is about to be the norm for UK. Link

That dont sound good. Last summer it was business as usual in the end (kind of). What do they know that they are not telling us?

I’ve never heard such a load of old bunkem. If Boris signs this off, we can say farewell to the entire travel industry and associated business’s.

I’ve never heard such a load of old bunkem. If Boris signs this off, we can say farewell to the entire travel industry and associated business’s.

How would it work with people returning on ferries or the tunnel? Motorhomers even!! There will be a fair few of them heading home in March when their 90 days is up.

Well, I'm sorry but I won't be crying any tears for anyone who is up in arms about their overseas holidays this year.
Crocodile tears, maybe, but that'll be about it.

Put simply: those who won't be able to afford to do the quarantine & extra time won't go, those who can, will.
Other than that, just have to suck it up and get on with it as best as you can.

I might sound unsympathetic and, in this case, 100% admit that I am.

If anyone thinks it's because I don't care about this problem, or don't understand the implications, you'd be 100% wrong.
95% of the business that has paid our own way for the last 20 years is in the tourism sector!
I won't bore you with how that's impacted on us this last year, let's just say we have not been immune to the business fallout.

But if anyone still believes that bringing the world to a grinding halt because of a serious pandemic wasn't going to have a major impact on the way we all live, then there is an urgent need to wake up. There is no returning to 'normality' for a good while yet. Many things in our lives have been brought to a grinding halt, with lockdowns not once, but 3 times during the last 11 months - and that's just in the UK!

There are way more serious things than foreign holidays to be concerned about, imho.

The bottom line for all governments from day one was to prevent health systems from being swamped.
That requirement has never changed, and won't be changing any time soon.

The most important thing we can all do is take it one step at a time.
Concentrate on getting vaccinated first, then hope and pray that the vaccines actually work down the line.

Then worry about your 'holidays'.

Rant over.

Last edited:
How would it work with people returning on ferries or the tunnel? Motorhomers even!! There will be a fair few of them heading home in March when their 90 days is up.
I have no objection to being confined to a hotel for quarantine when we get back but they do seem to have forgotten that not everybody will be returning by plane. As long as they provide a hotel with a decent car park I will be happy but I've got a feeling that they will have to revise the decision when they realise that they've got a fleet of motorhomes to deal with! :)

At the moment NZ and Australia do this, not sure how NZ is fairing at moment, but Australia has close to 40,000 stuck abroad who want to get home, but numbers have been limited, some have been waiting months to get home.

100%agree with thread 355. Is there anyone that can say they have not got COVID. No symptoms does not mean that you are not a carrier. A negative test yesterday does not mean you have not caught it today All I seem to hear lately is. Ooh I can’t do this. I can’t do that. I can’t. I can’t Ooh poor me. As Marie says( I think). Settle down. Face it accept it. Adapt our lives and get on with it. I don’t think life will ever go back to how it was. We all seemed to want more Do less. no time. no patience. This COVID has slowed us down. We needed slowing. I now see a queue and people waiting in line. Before it was. What’s the holdup. Open more tills. Get more staff. Come on I’m waiting here. Ooh well helmet on. Head down. Ducking. Brian

I have no objection to being confined to a hotel for quarantine when we get back but they do seem to have forgotten that not everybody will be returning by plane. As long as they provide a hotel with a decent car park I will be happy but I've got a feeling that they will have to revise the decision when they realise that they've got a fleet of motorhomes to deal with! :)

Well it is in the Daily Fail so can probably be taken with a pinch of salt. According to the article though you will have to cough up for the hotel. Maybe they could put all the motorhomers in one of the many Farages Garages they are building for trucks :D

100%agree with thread 355. Is there anyone that can say they have not got COVID. No symptoms does not mean that you are not a carrier. A negative test yesterday does not mean you have not caught it today All I seem to hear lately is. Ooh I can’t do this. I can’t do that. I can’t. I can’t Ooh poor me. As Marie says( I think). Settle down. Face it accept it. Adapt our lives and get on with it. I don’t think life will ever go back to how it was. We all seemed to want more Do less. no time. no patience. This COVID has slowed us down. We needed slowing. I now see a queue and people waiting in line. Before it was. What’s the holdup. Open more tills. Get more staff. Come on I’m waiting here. Ooh well helmet on. Head down. Ducking. Brian
As the person who started this thread, I have to say that I'm not complaining about anything. I am happy with where I am and with the restrictions imposed on us here - and If I have to stay here longer than planned then I certainly won't be complaining at that point either :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back