Travel to the EU after January 1st

Well it is in the Daily Fail so can probably be taken with a pinch of salt. According to the article though you will have to cough up for the hotel. Maybe they could put all the motorhomers in one of the many Farages Garages they are building for trucks :D
Last time I looked our local asylum seekers centre had been emptied, so plenty of room there, vehicles can be put in storage and paid for.

That's if anybody actually wants to come here on holiday :)

O yes they will, like the idiot wanting to come here from Spain to stay with the Wifes Cousin.

She found out that she can get a flight over for £9 ....... yes, £9 so she decided to come. She cares not that the Wifes Cousin has terminal Bone Cancer and needs to isolate. My Wife and Daughter are doing as much as they can for her. The Wife sees her twice a day. On a morning to collect her dog and in the afternoon to return the dog. She also does some shopping for her and takes her to GP and Hospital appointments.

After a year of this virus, some people are just too stupid to grasp how they should behave. :mad:

Those that have gone against travel advise probably realise that if the crap hits the fan they have prepared for it at whatever the cost - whether the gov offers help or not - whether they offer a flight to people at their cost or not - but 90 days is 90 days so if you have to extend beyond that who knows what will happen we are no longer in the EU so will people be able to drive through countries - or will they just get arrested and detained until a flight can be arranged

It may well be that UK has a less restrictive policy so that EU returnees are not affected, but some very sad stories from Australians, still tens of thousands stranded. Link

90 days is 90 days so if you have to extend beyond that who knows what will happen we are no longer in the EU so will people be able to drive through countries - or will they just get arrested and detained until a flight can be arranged
No. If you are unable to return because of circumstances beyond your control, say of the cancellation of ferries, that is classed as a force majeure and you will not be penalised for staying longer than 90 days.

Reactions: REC
No. If you are unable to return because of circumstances beyond your control, say of the cancellation of ferries, that is classed as a force majeure and you will not be penalised for staying longer than 90 days.

According to this article it is well worth applying for an extension if unable to return rather than just going over the 90 days.

My whole point is going against advise it then becomes your responsibility - and i do think people that have gone are being ultra careful - either 1 of the problems would of been problems but they are now doubled - you have options rather than driving back you can fly at your expense leaving your vehicles in storage - i always like to have worst case covered and that is what would look at for a backup whether i liked it or not
Not trying to get anyones back up here you just need to be prepared for the amount of trouble and inconvenience you could encounter in getting back

According to this article it is well worth applying for an extension if unable to return rather than just going over the 90 days.
We intend not to overstay but if we have to because of circumstances beyond our control, we will be ok - as I said above. Applying for an extension is not a possibility because, apart from anything else, you have to apply while you are still in your home country! But thanks anyway :)

Reactions: 2cv
My whole point is going against advise it then becomes your responsibility - and i do think people that have gone are being ultra careful - either 1 of the problems would of been problems but they are now doubled - you have options rather than driving back you can fly at your expense leaving your vehicles in storage - i always like to have worst case covered and that is what would look at for a backup whether i liked it or not
Not trying to get anyones back up here you just need to be prepared for the amount of trouble and inconvenience you could encounter in getting back
Personally, I see leaving the motorhome behind and flying back as a worse option than driving back and would not consider it for many reasons. I agree that it is always wise to have the worst case scenario covered but I don't see the value in creating a worse case than the worst case! :)

PS I believe that what you do is your responsibility whether you are acting on advice or not.

Haven't checked recently but pretty sure you can apply for extension while within Schengen, and an extension for force majeure is one that will be given.
Your not going to get an extension due to force majeure while still in home country, are you?

Haven't checked recently but pretty sure you can apply for extension while within Schengen, and an extension for force majeure is one that will be given.
Your not going to get an extension due to force majeure while still in home country, are you?

Here’s the bit about force majeure extension Link. It should be a valid reason for extension and could save lots of future hassle compared to simply overstaying because of being unable to return to UK.

You not going to be given an extension until you know you can't get back, I mean you can't apply in advance for an extension due to force majeure.

Seeing as we're all guessing about the stuff that may or may not happen, I'm gonna hazard a guess that people stuck away in these circumstance will automatically be given an extension. The link above is for individual cases, no authority will want to deal with 1000's of applications in these times, I would hope at least.

Force majeure doesn't require an advance application for extension. It can't require an application because it is unforseen! For any other extension, you are meant to prepare for it before you set off on your journey. I am unaware of any extension that can be applied for while you are already in the EU country concerned (other than force majeure).

Force majeure doesn't require an advance application for extension. It can't require an application because it is unforseen! For any other extension, you are meant to prepare for it before you set off on your journey. I am unaware of any extension that can be applied for while you are already in the EU country concerned (other than force majeure).

I think that's what Mark has already said in his previous post! :)

Personally, I see leaving the motorhome behind and flying back as a worse option than driving back and would not consider it for many reasons. I agree that it is always wise to have the worst case scenario covered but I don't see the value in creating a worse case than the worst case! :)

PS I believe that what you do is your responsibility whether you are acting on advice or not.
I see it as a potential nightmare really cant see people being able to drive through countries to get home - the only option i see is leaving van there and getting a flight back - and god help people if they have a pet with them which is what stopped me doing it

The newspapers seem to be saying the hotel quarantine edict will probably take effect in two weeks, giving ample time to make arrangements to repatriate. If you linger longer than that I can't see any justification for claiming force majeure.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back