Travel to the EU after January 1st

O yes they will, like the idiot wanting to come here from Spain to stay with the Wifes Cousin.

She found out that she can get a flight over for £9 ....... yes, £9 so she decided to come. She cares not that the Wifes Cousin has terminal Bone Cancer and needs to isolate. My Wife and Daughter are doing as much as they can for her. The Wife sees her twice a day. On a morning to collect her dog and in the afternoon to return the dog. She also does some shopping for her and takes her to GP and Hospital appointments.

After a year of this virus, some people are just too stupid to grasp how they should behave. :mad:

I heard on the news last week that around 6000 people are still arriving in the UK every day!
Hope they have enough hotel rooms...........

I see it as a potential nightmare really cant see people being able to drive through countries to get home - the only option i see is leaving van there and getting a flight back - and god help people if they have a pet with them which is what stopped me doing it

I think you are wrong on that. Even at the height of the restrictions, the UK, Spain and France allowed (and are still allowing) people to transit to their normal place of residence. I cannot forsee any circumstances under which they will prevent that.

Yes, we are broadly agreeing - apart from the fact that you cannot apply for an extension while you are in the country :)

I think Mark already said that too ;)

"Force majeure doesn't require an advance application for extension".

I think you are wrong on that. Even at the height of the restrictions, the UK, Spain and France allowed (and are still allowing) people to transit to their normal place of residence. I cannot forsee any circumstances under which they will prevent that.

I'm very glad you have access to a crystal ball :ROFLMAO: :cool:

The newspapers seem to be saying the hotel quarantine edict will probably take effect in two weeks, giving ample time to make arrangements to repatriate. If you linger longer than that I can't see any justification for claiming force majeure.

Force majeure does not apply to quarantine. The force majeure I am referring to would be if it was physically impossible for us to get home because, for example, all flights and ferries were cancelled. I cannot see it happening but, as we said earlier, it is always wise to prepare for the worst outcome.

I think he already said that too ;)

"Force majeure doesn't require an advance application for extension".
I may have got it wrong but I believe he suggested that it would be a good idea to apply for an extension before the £$%^ hit the fan :)

You don't need a crystal ball - no democratic country has ever prevented law-abiding citizens from returning home :)

But if I am wrong, we are back to force majeure and I will just have to spend longer in the sun. A hard life but somebody has to do it............

The problem for tens of thousands of Australians is that entry numbers have been severely limited because of the hotel quarantine policy. Should similar occur in UK this is where force majeur would apply, and as explained in the link in post #375 a visa extension can be applied for and would most likely be granted. To simply remain beyond 90 days could result in many unwanted consequences.

Force majeure does not apply to quarantine. The force majeure I am referring to would be if it was physically impossible for us to get home because, for example, all flights and ferries were cancelled. I cannot see it happening but, as we said earlier, it is always wise to prepare for the worst outcome.
Surely if we have fourteen days notice then ferries and airlines will maximise profitability to get people back in the knowledge that times will be hard afterwards. If someone doesn't take advantage of the window then on their own head be it.

It is interesting how different people approach the situation. Last September when things eased we headed over to France taking all precautions. Cabin on the ferry took our own food for the trip etc. Working on the “we are self isolating in the van” theory which is almost correct but shopping and sorting the van did include some contact. We came to the conclusion that although we were managing risk the consequences of catching the bug over there were much higher. Complications logistically as well as having experienced a medical problem when abroad previously it is not necessarily straight forward.

This “shadow” plus the fact that it was just not the same anyway, places closed, restrictions and the general sense of unease made the experience far less enjoyable than previously. Now with a year under the belt and experience of seeing how quickly circumstance can change I am far less inclined to venture abroad until some sort of pattern post vaccine roll out emerges. When the world changes we have to change with it, at least in the short to medium term. To continue trying to carry on as if it was just the same is, in my opinion, short sighted and anyone who tries must live with the consequences and not rely on being bailed out by government or outside bodies.

The choice is up to the individual but the individual must carry the consequences.

It is interesting how different people approach the situation. Last September when things eased we headed over to France taking all precautions. Cabin on the ferry took our own food for the trip etc. Working on the “we are self isolating in the van” theory which is almost correct but shopping and sorting the van did include some contact. We came to the conclusion that although we were managing risk the consequences of catching the bug over there were much higher. Complications logistically as well as having experienced a medical problem when abroad previously it is not necessarily straight forward.

This “shadow” plus the fact that it was just not the same anyway, places closed, restrictions and the general sense of unease made the experience far less enjoyable than previously. Now with a year under the belt and experience of seeing how quickly circumstance can change I am far less inclined to venture abroad until some sort of pattern post vaccine roll out emerges. When the world changes we have to change with it, at least in the short to medium term. To continue trying to carry on as if it was just the same is, in my opinion, short sighted and anyone who tries must live with the consequences and not rely on being bailed out by government or outside bodies.

The choice is up to the individual but the individual must carry the consequences.

Spot on, thank you (y)

The problem for tens of thousands of Australians is that entry numbers have been severely limited because of the hotel quarantine policy. Should similar occur in UK this is where force majeur would apply, and as explained in the link in post #375 a visa extension can be applied for and would most likely be granted. To simply remain beyond 90 days could result in many unwanted consequences.
I agree. There is a difference between preventing citizens returning home and delays. Those Australians may have to wait longer than planned to get home but they will get home and force majeure applies in the meantime.

Reactions: 2cv
Surely if we have fourteen days notice then ferries and airlines will maximise profitability to get people back in the knowledge that times will be hard afterwards. If someone doesn't take advantage of the window then on their own head be it.
Not exactly. After the fourteen day window (if it is granted) people are still able to get home but under different restrictions. As 2cv has said, if there is an enforced delay after that due to the UK not being able to cope with numbers then force majeure applies.

You don't need a crystal ball - no democratic country has ever prevented law-abiding citizens from returning home :)

But if I am wrong, we are back to force majeure and I will just have to spend longer in the sun. A hard life but somebody has to do it............
Dont think you will have a problem flying home i think peoples vans will be the problem getting home - i think people will have to put them in storage - and that is personal view and if people have a pet it will be more problematic

Dont think you will have a problem flying home i think peoples vans will be the problem getting home - i think people will have to put them in storage - and that is personal view and if people have a pet it will be more problematic
Not quite sure what makes you think that. Here in Spain, they are trying to discourage travel by air but are allowing vehicles to pass through. Makes sense to me.

PS I agree that travelling with pets will be a nightmare but we are not in that position.

Difference is it can be contained with a flight as against taking a virus right across a country by driving - personally it is safer just to refuse entry and force people to pay for flights to get home - that is safer like it or not

Difference is it can be contained with a flight as against taking a virus right across a country by driving - personally it is safer just to refuse entry and force people to pay for flights to get home - that is safer like it or not
Having seen the scenes at Heathrow airport recently, I think I will dispute that!

Having seen the scenes at Heathrow airport recently, I think I will dispute that!
It keeps it contained within a group - no-one would want to be stuck in that position but you may have no choice

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back