Travel to the EU after January 1st

I have to confess that I don't know anyone who has had the virus (no friends) and my feeling is that there are so many things that can sneak up and get me, so I'm determined to get out and away whenever it's legal. The day that Club sites opened I was there and a few other times. We've managed a week in a holiday cottage and three trips away in hotels. Every week that restaurants have been open we've eaten out. I've followed the rules but taken every opportunity to enjoy myself. I'm not allowed to do anything now but the day they open up again I'm off.

I have to confess that I don't know anyone who has had the virus (no friends) and my feeling is that there are so many things that can sneak up and get me, so I'm determined to get out and away whenever it's legal. The day that Club sites opened I was there and a few other times. We've managed a week in a holiday cottage and three trips away in hotels. Every week that restaurants have been open we've eaten out. I've followed the rules but taken every opportunity to enjoy myself. I'm not allowed to do anything now but the day they open up again I'm off.

Yup. Life is short. Go for it. 👍 ;)

The Hospital Trust where I used to work have lost another three staff this month...including a receptionist. Very few people on here seem to deliberately take risks but some make a balanced judgement, bearing in mind the rules and their individual needs. Personally, I don't live in fear, I know what I can and can't do safely, don't take risks for myself or others, but living as best we can under the restrictions. But respecting the personal decisions made by others given their circumstances, and my lack of knowledge about all the factors affecting them.
And yes, a laugh is essential...even if slightly maniacal at times!

Going back to the no meat rule , I wonder if this applies to tinned / Packed dog food
  • Travellers are not allowed to bring in meat, milk or their products, unless they are coming with less than 10 kilograms of these products from the Faeroe Islands or Greenland
  • There is also an exemption for powdered infant milk, infant food, and special foods or special pet feed required for medical reasons, if weighing less than 2 kilograms and provided that:
    • such products do not require refrigeration before opening
    • that they are packaged proprietary brand products for direct sale to the final consumer, and
    • the packaging is unbroken unless in current use
  • For fishery products (including fish and certain shellfish such as prawns, lobsters, dead mussels and dead oysters), travellers are allowed to bring in up to 20 kilograms or the weight of one fish if this is higher. However, there is no such weight restriction for travellers coming from the Faeroe Islands or Greenland
  • For other animal products, such as honey, live oysters, live mussels and snails for example, travellers are allowed to bring in up to 2 kilograms
  • These rules do not apply to animal products transported between the EU Member States, or for animal products coming from Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, San Marino or Switzerland.

I realise ( after it was explained) that the comment was meant to be ironic.
But, it’s not a case of being a snowflake, sometimes, some of us with close family members suffering from the virus, through no fault if their own, take a little longer to see the funny side....
Ironic or Not It just ain't a Joking matter and there's No funny side to Covid How can some still take it so lightly 89k + deaths so far

Always take dogs dried food with me hope that is not restricted as it does have dried meat substitute in it

Always take dogs dried food with me hope that is not restricted as it does have dried meat substitute in it
Think it probably is a "meat product" whether tinned or dried. I suppose a vet might give you a letter saying that it is special food for your pet as that is exempt? Some dogs ( most?) have to stay on same diet or they get tummy problems.

Unless your dog is on a very special diet ( in which case you can take some of its food with you) you only need to take a small amount of food with you. There is a huge selection of dog food in France, just about everything you can get in the UK is available here in supermarkets, pet stores or garden centres.

Missed that one! Is there a link?
Sorry I've just read it in a few newspapers. The EU started controls from day one, we don't want holdups so we are allowing everything through until we get our act together, starting in April.

You may have missed my posts #89 & #92 and the other replies in the Really??? thread. My view is that any meat product, however packed, is prohibited. Fish products are allowed which I take to include, say, salmon based dry dog food.
My dog's dry food (Yora) is based on grubs which ironically are cultured in the Netherlands. Does this count as meat? I have emailed them to ask.

I've just googled EU to UK food imports and found it on the Gov website. Virgin have failed again and my broadband is off and life is difficult enough without trying complicated things on my mobile.
Interesting that you can take meat and dairy products into the UK from the EU but that restrictions on plant products will be phased in during 2021. That is almost the precise opposite of the EU rule. The moral? British meat and EU vegetables are unsafe, so eat vegetarian in the UK and be a carnivore in the EU! :)

It would seem that the government are at last beginning to get serious about quarantine, requiring it to be carried out in designated hotels at port of entry. The requirement has been successful in several countries. Link
Always late to the party, the UK! NZ insists on all travellers having a voucher for a managed isolation space which is booked up till about April/May I believe. https://www.miq.govt.nz/travel-to-new-zealand/secure-your-place-in-managed-isolation/

You may have missed my posts #89 & #92 and the other replies in the Really??? thread. My view is that any meat product, however packed, is prohibited. Fish products are allowed which I take to include, say, salmon based dry dog food.
My dog's dry food (Yora) is based on grubs which ironically are cultured in the Netherlands. Does this count as meat? I have emailed them to ask.
I tend to feed dog skinners field and trial which does come in a salmon and rice so that may possibly be allowed then - i do keep her to same make of food just vary the flavours - never seen it available abroad but maybe it is available

I tend to feed dog skinners field and trial which does come in a salmon and rice so that may possibly be allowed then - i do keep her to same make of food just vary the flavours - never seen it available abroad but maybe it is available
From About | Skinner's Field & Trial : "Skinner’s can be found in over 2,000 retailers throughout the UK and across Europe." They give no more info about stockists in Europe, so you'd need to contact them direct.

Reactions: mfw

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back