Travel to the EU after January 1st

Yup. But I'm sure there were a fair few of us at the time that questioned the rationality of being able to do so.

A couple who lived round the corner from us would now agree - in hindsight.

They went off on a 2 week package holiday to Greece after 1st lockdown lifted, contracted C-19 while there, came home and subsequently died.

Too many people still feel they're entitled to do this and that, or are under the illusion it will never happen to them.

Even when the govt. "allows" you to do some things, I will continue to rely on my own common sense rather than follow the herd(y)
Is it only your opinion that they regret it? Some of us would be happy to risk our lives to get away for a while and I don't suppose you got the chance to ask them 😄

There was a period when non essential travel was allowed.
The advise was not to travel i didn't say it wasn't allowed - but my view is still to prepare for worst case and hopefully it wont get worse - which in my view it has since november - and i am also looking at it from the uk independance side - the whole lot together is double trouble

There is a distinct undertone (or even overtone!) here that those of us who are overwintering in the sun are being either selfish or irresponsible or both. Firstly, we are not on holiday; we are living in the same way as we would at home only in a warmer, healthier and safer environment. We are far less likely to either contract the virus or to pass it on than at home because we are living most of the time in the open air and the virus transmits far less easily in the open air. We are also far less likely to be a strain on the health service (I have said before, only half in joke, that I think overwintering in the sun ought to be available on the NHS!). In addition, the rules here in Spain are far clearer than they appear to be in the UK and are universally followed in this particular area. And finally, I checked very carefully with all the relevant authorities whether we were allowed to travel here back in September, when we left home. I have followed ALL the advice given at the time.

PS when we do eventually return, it will be with a certificate to show that we are negative for the virus and we will isolate anyway, so anyone fearing that we might be a danger to the indigenous population is probably wrong :)

The FCO advice against travel to Spain originated on 14th March 2020 Link and whilst amended from time to time has not changed. It is only advice however, though may have some effect on insurance and until recently such travel was not illegal.

The FCO advice against travel to Spain originated on 14th March 2020 Link and whilst amended from time to time has not changed. It is only advice however, though may have some effect on insurance and until recently such travel was not illegal.
That link also says that anyone thinking of travelling should check with their travel organisers. We did that, we checked with EHIC and we checked with our vehicle insurance providers. All said that we would be legal and covered.

Taken from Gov.uk
From 18 January, only PCR tests will be accepted for passengers. For hauliers, current testing measures at the border remain unchanged. You should not use the NHS testing service to get a test in order to facilitate your travel to another country. You should arrange to take a private test. A list of private providers of coronavirus testing is available here. Passengers arriving in France from the UK will also be required to self-isolate for seven days on arrival, before taking another PCR test. Exit from self-isolation period is subject to a negative test result. Please find more information on how to obtain a PCR test in France here.
So we have to take a PCR test on this side of the Channel, and wait perhaps 48 hours before we are allowed to cross, and then we have to self-isolate for seven days and then take another PCR test, and wait another 48 hours before we are allowed to travel?

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: REC
Quite right too.

Whilst you might think @mfw is being pessimistic, I agree that none of us know where this world catastrophe is heading.

Any discussion about freedom of movement between countries right now is speculative, because the rules can (and will !) change on a sixpence.
Marie just unplug the van censor and do as in these instructions and all will be fine.
plague.png

I will just put a GB sticker on, its less hassle than maybe having to argue the toss at the side of the road with foreign police, were there will be only one winner.
I assumed you need now to cover the EU flag as well why I bought the stickers
Our gb sticker is miniscule, more of a nod to the rule! Doesn't state size anywhere, I hope!
There is size mentioned 150 x 120 mm but check this

A couple who lived round the corner from us would now agree - in hindsight.
They went off on a 2 week package holiday to Greece after 1st lockdown lifted, contracted C-19 while there, came home and subsequently died.
Too many people still feel they're entitled to do this and that, or are under the illusion it will never happen to them.
Is it only your opinion that they regret it? Some of us would be happy to risk our lives to get away for a while
I'd bet Maries right though. there'd not be many sensible people gambling their life just to take a 2 week holiday

I’m certain that UK citizens will be allowed to return. It may be that as elsewhere the quarantine requirements are stepped up, requiring the returning citizen to stay in a specified hotel room for 5 to 10 days. If they are serious about keeping the mutant virus out this does seem sensible.

Actually, maybe it’s not always easy to return home. Link

I think people will get home if they fly and then just put motorhome into storage in spain - whatever it entails/costs - and hopefully they can get back to the van after 90 days - cant see france allowing people to travel through the whole country possibly spreading virus considering there may or maynot be options of flights - but that is what i'd be thinking now for worst case scenario - cant get worse than that surely

I think people will get home if they fly and then just put motorhome into storage in spain - whatever it entails/costs - and hopefully they can get back to the van after 90 days - cant see france allowing people to travel through the whole country possibly spreading virus considering there may or maynot be options of flights - but that is what i'd be thinking now for worst case scenario - cant get worse than that surely
Not an attractive option - I'm staying in my motorhome bubble rather than flying with a load of strangers!

Just bought a set of the new Angles Morts stickers as we are over 3.5t. I can’t believe how big they are! Obviously designed to ruin the aesthetics of any motorhome.
To my mind, cyclists should be taught from an early age, to respect large vehicles, and then they in turn can expect respect from lorries, buses, coaches and large vehicles in general.
If they can’t aspire to this, they should reconsider whether they should actually be on the road! Rant over.

I really must remember that not everyone understands or appreciates my sense of humour.

Humour is vital, even more so nowadays.
People have different funny bones.
Some unfortunate souls are born without any 😥

Unfortunately, dark humour is not always understood or appreciated by snowflakes, or those without any funny bones, Sam.

I feel genuinely sorry for those without funny bones.😞
Humour is a fantastic antidote to sadness and depression.
Often way better than pills and potions. It's effect is instant and it's free! 👍😘

Humour is vital, even more so nowadays.
People have different funny bones.
Some unfortunate souls are born without any 😥

Unfortunately, dark humour is not always understood or appreciated by snowflakes, or those without any funny bones, Sam.

I feel genuinely sorry for those without funny bones.😞
Humour is a fantastic antidote to sadness and depression.
Often way better than pills and potions. It's effect is instant and it's free! 👍😘
I realise ( after it was explained) that the comment was meant to be ironic.
But, it’s not a case of being a snowflake, sometimes, some of us with close family members suffering from the virus, through no fault if their own, take a little longer to see the funny side....

I realise ( after it was explained) that the comment was meant to be ironic.
But, it’s not a case of being a snowflake, sometimes, some of us with close family members suffering from the virus, through no fault if their own, take a little longer to see the funny side....

Understand 100%. 😒
Depends how down you're feeling at the time as to whether you feel a particular joke is funny or not 👍

Lots of members, including myself, are living with illness, death of family and friends, impending death of family and friends (not just virus related), and the devastating affect the pandemic is having on all of us.

It's the prospect of a terrible illness and potential death due to the virus that has many people stressed out and jumpy with fear.
For some it will be the first time they have experienced the threat of death, or faced anything like it and will have big difficulties coping.

But I don't want mine or others humour gagged and taken away just because we are living through a very difficult and extraordinary event.
It's at times like this that we need to keep a sense of humour more than ever before, imho.

And nobody can please all of the people all of the time, so keeping the balance "right", especially with just text on a digital screen, is nigh on impossible.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back