Travel to the EU after January 1st

Portugal is banned to travel to uk now
Grant Shapps has specifically said that the ban does not apply to UK nationals returning to their homes in the UK (and not to hauliers either).

Reactions: REC
Grant Shapps has specifically said that the ban does not apply to UK nationals returning to their homes in the UK (and not to hauliers either).
Wouldn't bet on it there is a sh#tstorm coming in - look how it's going with the different virus mutations around the world

As I have said before, no Government in the civilised world has ever refused to allow its own law-abiding citizens to return home.

I’m certain that UK citizens will be allowed to return. It may be that as elsewhere the quarantine requirements are stepped up, requiring the returning citizen to stay in a specified hotel room for 5 to 10 days. If they are serious about keeping the mutant virus out this does seem sensible.

As I have said before, no Government in the civilised world has ever refused to allow its own law-abiding citizens to return home.
A lot may have to hope they can drive back or leave van and fly - my concern would be doing something against gov advice like any advise when it goes pear shaped your choice you pay consequences

Bottom line is no-one know how many problems it will cause until they try getting back it is a total mess already

I was hoping you could have a Welsh flag with GB underneath but it seems this is not a legal combination and neither, of course, is the Welsh flag with CYM (Cymru)
That would be no more legal than having the English flag or the Scottish flag....

I’m certain that UK citizens will be allowed to return. It may be that as elsewhere the quarantine requirements are stepped up, requiring the returning citizen to stay in a specified hotel room for 5 to 10 days. If they are serious about keeping the mutant virus out this does seem sensible.
I agree - I have no problem with being in isolation when we eventually do return. In fact, even if there wasn't a requirement to do so, we would still isolate - as any sensible person would when coming from an area with a low infection rate back to an area with a high one!

A lot may have to hope they can drive back or leave van and fly - my concern would be doing something against gov advice like any advise when it goes pear shaped your choice you pay consequences

Bottom line is no-one know how many problems it will cause until they try getting back it is a total mess already
The Government are not advising Brits abroad to return immediately, so we will obey their advice and stay here! :)

That would be no more legal than having the English flag or the Scottish flag....
image.jpg
Secretary Grant Shapps tweeted that if you have GB on your number plate alongside a union flag (as opposed to an EU flag) then you won't need a sticker in most EU countries.

copied from here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47459859

https://tinyurl.com/ycof5q7b got mine here arrived in 24 hrs

I will just put a GB sticker on, its less hassle than maybe having to argue the toss at the side of the road with foreign police, were there will be only one winner.

The Holiday Inn at Folkestone are offering a walk in service for rapid covid testing, sadly Macron must have heard about it;
Meanwhile, France has cracked down on the type of tests that travellers can take to show they are negative.

From Monday, travellers will need to show a negative PCR test. Antigen tests - which are the rapid lateral flow tests - will no longer be accepted.

The Holiday Inn at Folkestone are offering a walk in service for rapid covid testing, sadly Macron must have heard about it;
Meanwhile, France has cracked down on the type of tests that travellers can take to show they are negative.

From Monday, travellers will need to show a negative PCR test. Antigen tests - which are the rapid lateral flow tests - will no longer be accepted.

Quite right too.

Whilst you might think @mfw is being pessimistic, I agree that none of us know where this world catastrophe is heading.

Any discussion about freedom of movement between countries right now is speculative, because the rules can (and will !) change on a sixpence.

France is extending the curfew, from Saturday it will be 6pm to 6 am. Apparently, the infection rate is slowing in areas where they brought in the earlier curfew so it’s being extended all over the country now.
It can only be a good thing. Vaccinations for over 75’s is starting here next week, shouldn’t be long before it gets to us. ( under 75’s )

The Government are not advising Brits abroad to return immediately, so we will obey their advice and stay here! :)

No but they advised not to travel in first place unless essential - cant really see going on holiday as essential travel

There was a period when non essential travel was allowed.

I would argue that paying someone £40k to travel abroad and get to the head of the queue for a vaccine jab should also be classed as non-essential travel

😁 :devilish:

Sheesh, I'm gonna have to start being careful here....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::p

There was a period when non essential travel was allowed.

Yup. But I'm sure there were a fair few of us at the time that questioned the rationality of being able to do so.

A couple who lived round the corner from us would now agree - in hindsight.

They went off on a 2 week package holiday to Greece after 1st lockdown lifted, contracted C-19 while there, came home and subsequently died.

Too many people still feel they're entitled to do this and that, or are under the illusion it will never happen to them.

Even when the govt. "allows" you to do some things, I will continue to rely on my own common sense rather than follow the herd(y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back