"They call me the wanderer....... the wanderer......"

Took the old girl in at 7am this morning and met with the guys from Laser Track.
They were very thorough and gave her a good going over before bolting on loads of framework for the laser projectors. They very quickly found a problem with the front near side wheel. The toe-in was miles out and after a few minutes of adjusting we took her out on the road. Total perfection !!!
Eagerly looking forward to the trip to the NEC next week, to test her on a long run.
Thank you everybody for your help and suggestions.

Happy to hear that we learn somthing new everyday on here sounds like it wasn’t an expensive fix👍

Hope that’s it solved roger,imho laser is the very very first port of call,I at first was very wary about it until I saw some trucks etc that would never had been correctly aligned after Rta damage ,after laser work they also drove perfect
Good luck mate

Hope that’s it solved roger,imho laser is the very very first port of call,I at first was very wary about it until I saw some trucks etc that would never had been correctly aligned after Rta damage ,after laser work they also drove perfect
Good luck mate

I believe that they have solved the problem Gordon, because of the much improved handling n the way home. They did say that if I had any further trouble to call them straight back in, so they seem like a company that care!
I thought I overheard one of them saying that the toe-in was out by about 30mm???

Good luck mate
They said to call them back if I wasn’t completely satisfied, but judging by the drive home, I think they have nailed it. Thanks again!

If it was toe in that much I’d imagine it was like driving on ice and awkward on bends?

hi
if the toe in was that bad the tyre would wear terrible at that.

It did feel uncomfortable to drive, but nothing compared to some of the old wrecks I used to drive up the road. The trouble was, it has always been that way, and so I became used to it.
I wouldn’t swear to the 30mm as I was next door getting the coffees in, and it was just an overheard remark as I was coming back in.
Whatever they did, its a lot bloomin’ better now!

Lots of good to know stuff there Rog.

I think I'll have the garage check mine out when it goes in for the MOT next month. Haven't got any problems such as you were experiencing but tyres are bloody expensive and a few quid spent on a good alignment could save a lot more later on.

Cheers

H

Lots of good to know stuff there Rog.

I think I'll have the garage check mine out when it goes in for the MOT next month. Haven't got any problems such as you were experiencing but tyres are bloody expensive and a few quid spent on a good alignment could save a lot more later on.

Cheers

H

Laser Track were very thorough, and went through the whole system. Its worth the expense for the peace of mind.
Going to the Show at the NEC next week, and I will report on the handling after the trip.

Just a small point,if front wheel drive it should be toe out NOT in,norm is one mm but each manfacturer sets the limit.:wave:

Whao, whao, whao...........before you go down the changing all the front suspension route!

Firstly, remember you're drive a slab-sided vehicle...so even a small amount of wind will make it feel like the van's trying to pull one way or t'other.

Secondly, any mechanic worth it, will check your alignment(camber and toe-in/out) and adjust correctly. Any bushes etc worn should be picked up then!

Thirdly, the effect of the make of tyre is minimal (Apart from noise). If they're running true, any tyre will behave.

Get yourself to a reputable tyre establisment (Not one of the big chains) and they will sort it for you. Easy Peasy.

Whao, whao, whao...........before you go down the changing all the front suspension route!

Firstly, remember you're drive a slab-sided vehicle...so even a small amount of wind will make it feel like the van's trying to pull one way or t'other.

Secondly, any mechanic worth it, will check your alignment(camber and toe-in/out) and adjust correctly. Any bushes etc worn should be picked up then!

Thirdly, the effect of the make of tyre is minimal (Apart from noise). If they're running true, any tyre will behave.

Get yourself to a reputable tyre establisment (Not one of the big chains) and they will sort it for you. Easy Peasy.

I take your point onboard Russ, I have had my share of high-sided heavies and horrendous cross winds together with curtain siders, so I know a little about vehicles misbehaving, but this was very worrying when trying to overtake but after the adjustments it does feel so much better.

Glad all seems sorted Rog. and a relatively easy fix.

It should perhaps be remembered that state of the roads , potholes manhole covers and kerbing it doesn't take a lot to knock the geometry out of kilt.

Channa

The track can change over time ,over the years the springs can weaken and lower the vehicle this can have an effect on the track .

I shouldn't come down here to Devon Rog, if the potholes get any deeper, I'm going to try fishing them ;)

Take you’re wallet out the back cupboard 😜Think weight on tail end has quite a lot to do with front end problems on mhs everythingis off balance so somthings got to give think any kind of upgrade on back suspension on a motor home shoul help front end drift

I would go for back end springs as well, having just driven a van with a broken rear spring that did everything that you mentioned.

I would go for back end springs as well, having just driven a van with a broken rear spring that did everything that you mentioned.

Thanks Les, but I have air suspension on the rear axle, so not likely to be a broken spring.

Just a thought roger ,you’ve emptied the toilet I hope as it’s not baffled and it could be contributing to the sway ,I might be talking p - - h😡

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back