"They call me the wanderer....... the wanderer......"

hi
it will be the front suspension wishbone bushes worn.

My new Hymer with the Sprinter base DOES WANDER, it is quite bad in sidewinds but the biggest problem I find it the power steering is so light it takes just the slightest movement or a sneeze and off we go all over the place , My car has power steering that is light at low speed and virtually goes away as the speed goes up, very steady at m'way speed.
Mercedes has a way fo solving it that I think is cock-eyed, They fit lane wandering and side movement control systems, which jab the front brakes ABS when it senses a wander?????????????
WTF that for just turn down the power-assist and increase the trail angle of the front wheels, and save a fortune in 'extra technology'. An engineering fix that costs a lot in optional extra to fix a fault that shouldn't be there. Apart from that is is great to drive, but I do find the constant corrections make me tense and tired after a long days drive.

hi
it will be the front suspension wishbone bushes worn.

Could be top strut mountings eddy,could be steering rack,could be a sub chassis loose ,the list goes on and on mate you know that esp wi taxis,roger is better getting a full alignment check done then take it from there imho

Take you’re wallet out the back cupboard 😜Think weight on tail end has quite a lot to do with front end problems on mhs everythingis off balance so somthings got to give think any kind of upgrade on back suspension on a motor home shoul help front end drift

Could be top strut mountings eddy,could be steering rack,could be a sub chassis loose ,the list goes on and on mate you know that esp wi taxis,roger is better getting a full alignment check done then take it from there imho

hi
i would get underneath with a tyre lever and check bushes before
alignment because if they need changing it will need realiged. how
is the tyre wear is it even.

Take you’re wallet out the back cupboard 😜Think weight on tail end has quite a lot to do with front end problems on mhs everythingis off balance so somthings got to give think any kind of upgrade on back suspension on a motor home shoul help front end drift

We already have air suspension on the rear axle.
I am going to contact a local company that does alignment and we’ll take it from there.
I have been prepared to put up with the wandering until now, but we have a long trip planned shortly and I don’t want to sit there for hours fighting with the steering and not being able to relax.

hi
i would get underneath with a tyre lever and check bushes before
alignment because if they need changing it will need realiged. how
is the tyre wear is it even.

Tyres are virtually new Ed, no sign of any wear yet.
Thanks for the advice.

Tyres are virtually new Ed, no sign of any wear yet.
Thanks for the advice.

hi
if the tyres are new you will notbe able to tell by sight.
you will need to measure each edge of tyre with a digital depth
gauge.

Is it not that cheap vodka from Aldi that's causing it. Our hobby has a overhang I fitted air assist cost £300 made a massive improvement and lifts the rear 6 inch

Please tell me more about the £300 air suspension.
Many thanks in advance.
Graham

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. I didn't realise but the garage where I work use a company called Lasertrak, and they are going to see what they can find on Friday, so will let you know what they find. They want it over a pit, so they can poke about and check everything they can. Fingers crossed!
Thanks all!!

Good luck Rog, mine started to wander when I fitted winter tyres, I was lucky that dropping the front tyre pressure cured it and there was nothing wrong with the front or rear suspension

Good luck Rog, mine started to wander when I fitted winter tyres, I was lucky that dropping the front tyre pressure cured it and there was nothing wrong with the front or rear suspension

Nice one Terry, hope our problem is as simple!

Hi Rog I have been following the thread and most culprits have been mentioned , it could be as simple as a directional tread tyre fitted wrong perhaps ? In either event a good garage laser testing will test the lot and can check steering , Weight distribution possibilities aside which may require thoughts on what is carried and where I don't think you will have the fiasco of last time a gearbox as I recall

Good luck to hopefully a simple and cheap remedy

Channa

Forgot to mention that the front tyre might just be too hard and that reduces the contact area and makes the tyres much stiffer in twist and flex. get the proper acle weight aa a weigh bridge then ask the tyre makers the correct pressure for that weighting. Mine is now 46 in the front when I got it it was 76. far too stiff but continental said drop it to 46 so I did it stopped a lot of my wandering.

Forgot to mention that the front tyre might just be too hard and that reduces the contact area and makes the tyres much stiffer in twist and flex. get the proper acle weight aa a weigh bridge then ask the tyre makers the correct pressure for that weighting. Mine is now 46 in the front when I got it it was 76. far too stiff but continental said drop it to 46 so I did it stopped a lot of my wandering.
This is what I found, previous tyres needed a high pressure on the front (Michelin X Campingcar tyres), new tyres needed the pressure dropped from 70psi to 45 psi, a huge difference but it worked, rear pressure was dropped from 80psi to 55psi, it is a nicer drive, quieter and a lot more feel to the steering

This is what I found, previous tyres needed a high pressure on the front (Michelin X Campingcar tyres), new tyres needed the pressure dropped from 70psi to 45 psi, a huge difference but it worked, rear pressure was dropped from 80psi to 55psi, it is a nicer drive, quieter and a lot more feel to the steering

Thanks Guys, I will recheck tyre pressures today.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back