"They call me the wanderer....... the wanderer......"

RoaminRog

Our Autotrail Miami is based on a Renault Master. It has a tendancy to wander when driving on straight roads and it gets to the point where my arms ache, trying to keep it in a straight line. This is not something which has just started, thinking about about it, it has always been the same but there have always been other concerns that took preference until now.
Years ago, I had a Land Rover which did the same and it improved drastically after steering dampers were fitted.
Before I go down that road, does anyone have suggestions that may help please.

I haven't had that problem with my Renault Master PVC Rog, it drives like a dream, so I wonder if it is anything to do with the coachbuilding? (Maybe a weight imbalance).

Might be worth getting the wheel alignment checked, how's the tyre wear?

I haven't had that problem with my Renault Master PVC Rog, it drives like a dream, so I wonder if it is anything to do with the coachbuilding? (Maybe a weight imbalance).

Did wonder about that Rob, there's a heck of a rear overhang, maybe lifting the front wheels at speed.

I drove toyota hi ace with box luton body way back in early eightys,it to was like a bar of soap on a ice ring.

Check your axle weights to ensure correct distribution, tyre pressures, tyres with aggresive treads wont be as directionaly stable as grooved tyres, steering alignment, front shock absorbers. Unlikley to be play in the steering as this should have been checked on your last mot. And last but not least you may have a problem in your steering rack/power steering pump. Just a few thoughts, look at the easiest things first is the motto.

Roger my advice would be to get a laser alignment check done ,this does toe in toe out caster camber etc .
We at my old place of work we’re one of the pioneers in the uk of josam laser alignment ,it’s not cheap but it would let you know if a chassis or geometry is not correct ,it would clear up this side of things prior to throwing money at it ,
Google josam and read the history roger ,
Regards gordon

Roger my advice would be to get a laser alignment check done ,this does toe in toe out caster camber etc .
We at my old place of work we’re one of the pioneers in the uk of josam laser alignment ,it’s not cheap but it would let you know if a chassis or geometry is not correct ,it would clear up this side of things prior to throwing money at it ,
Regards gordon

Thanks Gordon, I really think alignment is the way to go.

Regards gordon
. Have to agree with the laird Rodge ,wandering steering can be miss alignment of the rear axle
Just as often as the front , rubber bushers can fail allowing some movement of the rear axle , if nothing is found on visual check and tyres and worn joints are ruled out , one easy check is to measure the wheel base on both sides with the steering straight before a full front and rear geometry check .be aware that some garage's may use a geometry check as a way of finding work Bazz

Last edited:
If you are heavy on the back end, the least bit of play in the Ball joints could induce a wandering effect.

My Tag axle van on a Renault Master has had advisories on the Ball joints and I had them all changed (top and bottom) the other week. There was none of the 'wandering' that you have though and I think that is down to the long Tag axle Alko chassis and short overhang.

"They call me the wanderer....... the wanderer......"

That's only because we are polite, sensitive and totally pc group :):):)

You could go down the admin route and fit air suspension ,then you can tip up one side of the van to fully drain the gray water .

Is it not that cheap vodka from Aldi that's causing it. Our hobby has a overhang I fitted air assist cost £300 made a massive improvement and lifts the rear 6 inch

Sorry Trev our van is OK

Any short vh with high sides & long overhang will do this.

We have a Renault Master based van
Lunar H622 coachbuilt 6.5 M with a long overhang...
Drives very well mind you I rarely go over 60mph

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back