Scooter rack update and pics

As much as I enjoyed my roof tent at the time, I'm not going back to one.

All things being well, I'll get another van when euro 7's are out. The only thing I am certain about that van, I won't be converting it myself, although I could be talked into just chucking a mattress in the back, camp cooker and strapping down a few Zarges boxes.

As much as I enjoyed my roof tent at the time, I'm not going back to one.

All things being well, I'll get another van when euro 7's are out. The only thing I am certain about that van, I won't be converting it myself, although I could be talked into just chucking a mattress in the back, camp cooker and strapping down a few Zarges boxes.

That would be my preferred option these days Mark if I ever did another - which I won't!

I admire anyone taking on a self build. I wouldnt have a Scooby. We almost considered it though but obviously someone else doing all the work with us having the say on layout and whats required etc. I just don't think it would have worked. We were too set in our ways on the layout and size. It was an option for a while though when the van we wanted just never materialised. I would have wanted it building in a week though. :ROFLMAO:

I would love to do another self build, once I got started I was out there almost every day rain or shine 10-4 and it was as said a very steep learning curve, I'd helped to fit a couple of bathrooms and a did a bit of domestic electrics, but my joinery skill stopped at making a lamps stand at school and even that was crap, but I was already on SBMCC and they helped me a lot at first but I left as it became too ridiculous, no fun at all I'd just got to know Listerdiesel (Peter RIP) and he helped much more on Facts and Owners, I probably could just about do another but it would be painful and I would have to sell this van to fund it not sure the drive would be suitable though, we had a 150 foot drive and a large dry garage before.

Success! Not only success but its now easier to load the bike. I had a thought in the middle or the night last night between being pestered by uncle Tim for music downloads. :D If I put the seat clamp in the footwell of the Biff Chariot I can then rev it up the ramp and because the post is now much shorter I can reach down, pick it up and drop it over the post which was out of reach really before. Now it isnt. Worked first time. Takes two minutes now, if that. Jobs a goodun I reckon! :D

Which doesn't open. (I dont think)

But yes its better than looking at a pole. The rear lounge window is a lots smaller than the old Hank one. Pity that.
Yes they are not too bad on ours but have the silly shapes, you can't beat the proper Sietz rectangular ones, I zoomed into the picture and it looks to have two catches.

Yes they are not too bad on ours but have the silly shapes, you can't beat the proper Sietz rectangular ones, I zoomed into the picture and it looks to have two catches.

It does open apparently according to her indoors (The van). Oh well another bonus of getting the hacksaw out. Its also another reason why this forum is invaluable for me. I was just going to leave it. Can't thank you all enough.

Success! Not only success but its now easier to load the bike. I had a thought in the middle or the night last night between being pestered by uncle Tim for music downloads. :D If I put the seat clamp in the footwell of the Biff Chariot I can then rev it up the ramp and because the post is now much shorter I can reach down, pick it up and drop it over the post which was out of reach really before. Now it isnt. Worked first time. Takes two minutes now, if that. Jobs a goodun I reckon! :D

Baz. Please don't just rely on the seat clamp mate. (the bike can slip & slide on braking / acceleration) its best to regard the seat clamp as an "aid" to loading the bike. Please see attached for the correct way to secure a bike with 4 ratchet straps.
A front pair through each handlebar and a rear pair through each of the pillion grab rails. Tension the ratchet straps just enough to compress the forks and swingarm a bit then re-adjust the seat clamp down and jobs a good-un.
That way you wont be wondering why your bike fell off the trailer (I speak from a bitter experience years ago) :(
barrys bike trailer.jpg

Baz. Please don't just rely on the seat clamp mate. (the bike can slip & slide on braking / acceleration) its best to regard the seat clamp as an "aid" to loading the bike. Please see attached for the correct way to secure a bike with 4 ratchet straps.
A front pair through each handlebar and a rear pair through each of the pillion grab rails. Tension the ratchet straps just enough to compress the forks and swingarm a bit then re-adjust the seat clamp down and jobs a good-un.
That way you wont be wondering why your bike fell off the trailer (I speak from a bitter experience years ago) :(
View attachment 133053

Its exactly how I carried it for 16 years on the previous van Tim. Nothing else needed. Its not going anywhere. The old one used to move a little bit but that was mainly because the rubber on the seat clamp moved. It cant do that on this one as its riveted in place. I had a quick drive about with it the other day before I chopped the post and it didnt move but ill stop a couple of times on the way down south on Sunday just to check it. I also have a Biff Chariot cam in the cab. The reversing camera has two cameras. One that shows the road behind you and one that shows me the bike. :D You can just toggle between the two.

What I should have also explained is there is a lot of power in the ratchet strap that compresses the clamp over the seat. So the bike is half way down its suspension like a fat bastud was sat on it. I would have thought if you then start ratcheting those other points that will reduce the pressure on the seat clamp and actually could make it more likely to move. Touch wood but Armitage have been at this a long long time and Wayne the owner said people add all sorts of bits but the way to do it is as it was intended. If it was a 200kg Adventure bike then maybe it would need something extra but its only 100kg.

Its exactly how I carried it for 16 years on the previous van Tim. Nothing else needed. Its not going anywhere. The old one used to move a little bit but that was mainly because the rubber on the seat clamp moved. It cant do that on this one as its riveted in place. I had a quick drive about with it the other day before I chopped the post and it didnt move but ill stop a couple of times on the way down south on Sunday just to check it. I also have a Biff Chariot cam in the cab. The reversing camera has two cameras. One that shows the road behind you and one that shows me the bike. :D You can just toggle between the two.
well that's all well and good.. but there is also a "first time" this is a new van and trailer after all
for the sake of a few tuppence-halfpenny straps its better to over-kill eh?
correct bike trailer ratchet strapping.JPG

well that's all well and good.. but there is also a "first time" this is a new van and trailer after all
for the sake of a few tuppence-halfpenny straps its better to over-kill eh?
View attachment 133057

That rack though is very different. I see what you mean with your clamp but this clamp goes around the seat, I'm no engineer but it looks impossible for it to move very far even if it could on mine because it would meet the side of the clamp whereas yours it would certainly move if it wasnt strapped down.

I know we should always listen to Uncle Tim but on this occasion I think I'm right. :D Its pretty much the same rack we had before just a few little differences and as said the clamping system is better.

You have given it the kiss of death now! :D

Back