Scooter rack update and pics

I meant to add. Wayne at Armitages offered me FOC a stepped out post they have. I think it steps out 40mm so it must be a problem on some other vans as well. I said I would see how we got on. I think I prefer the idea of chopping this one. Save a couple of Kilos of weight as well. :D

I meant to add. Wayne at Armitages offered me FOC a stepped out post they have. I think it steps out 40mm so it must be a problem on some other vans as well. I said I would see how we got on. I think I prefer the idea of chopping this one. Save a couple of Kilos of weight as well. :D

That's a strange one Barry - how would you slide the bracket up past the step? :unsure:

Looking at your pics they don't go overboard with fixing the scoot down do they. I do like the ratchet strap for pulling the seat clamp down though. The post I would cut off below your GB plate. If you ever put another bike on it will still have a similar seat height unless you finally get the KTM 690 :ROFLMAO:

You see bikes with these racks with straps everywhere. My dear old Pal Tuggers (RIP) who used to be on here occasionally had the same rack as me and Tuggers being Tuggers reengineered it all with straps all over. I just used the clamp with the ratchet and one through the front wheel and that was it. The old one never had any issues so I hope this one will be the same.

I agree with your cut off point. This is the pic I sent my weary neighbour this morning with the technical drawing for the cut off point.

But if heaven forbid you are ever in this position again you have a butchered rack to sell not a OME one. Heck Barry you deserve a medal what you've put yourself thru last few weeks

Last edited:
This is ours ....

Albeit now a rear Box rack ...still use the upright as a brace point for the top of the box

20240711_174849.jpg
20240711_174854.jpg

But if heaven forbid you are ever in this position again you have a butchered rack to sell not a OME one. Heck Barry you deserve a medal what you've put yourself thru last few weeks

I am never ever going through this again! Touch wood. This van if it turns out to be a goodun may well be our last! If it lasts as long as the last one I might get 20 years out of it. :D That really would be something. A motorhoming life spanning 36 years with just two vans.

It would be easy enough just to get a none butchered post or a new ramp if I end up butchering that I guess. Be interesting to see if the new rack lasts as long as the old one.

Yep, it all happened very fast. Those of you that know me will know this has literally been a search for over a decade. Then bang!! There it was.

I am never ever going through this again! Touch wood. This van if it turns out to be a goodun may well be our last! If it lasts as long as the last one I might get 20 years out of it. :D That really would be something. A motorhoming life spanning 36 years with just two vans.

It would be easy enough just to get a none butchered post or a new ramp if I end up butchering that I guess. Be interesting to see if the new rack lasts as long as the old one.

Yep, it all happened very fast. Those of you that know me will know this has literally been a search for over a decade. Then bang!! There it was.

I'd happily get a new van every two or three years.

I'd be even happier if I could get one finished in that time :ROFLMAO:

Thats the reason I wasn't allowed a self build

Yeah, I'm a mañana kind of guy. Luckily she doesn't mind as long as the necessities are there. She never wanted anything pristine and showcase otherwise we'd have been worried about the dogs getting in and out with muddy paws all the time.

So I complied with her wishes. :)

Yeah, I'm a mañana kind of guy. Luckily she doesn't mind as long as the necessities are there. She never wanted anything pristine and showcase otherwise we'd have been worried about the dogs getting in and out with muddy paws all the time.

So I complied with her wishes. :)

I'm the opposite. Once I'm focused on something I want it done. Same with music. I've written songs in the morning on the back of a fag packet and had them up on youtube by the time I've finished my second beer in the evening. :D

There has been a bit of a mad rush with this van as we had the whole summer arranged and had no intention of getting a new van. When it all happened so fast we thought we could still stick to the plan, as it is I think we are only three weeks behind schedule.

I'm the opposite. Once I'm focused on something I want it done. Same with music. I've written songs in the morning on the back of a fag packet and had them up on youtube by the time I've finished my second beer in the evening. :D

There has been a bit of a mad rush with this van as we had the whole summer arranged and had no intention of getting a new van. When it all happened so fast we thought we could still stick to the plan, as it is I think we are only three weeks behind schedule.

I do get phases like that Barry.

When I first got the van I had a mad few weeks building the interior, trouble is I get fed up after a certain point and lose momentum. Like I said it was done enough to use - bed, kitchen with fridge, sink, full cooker, toilet/shower compartment, gas system, electrics, solar, hot water - I needed a lot of help with electrics and gas coz I just don't know enough to do it myself. That was enough to get it registered as a motor Caravan with the DVLA.

I then hit a wall. All that needs doing is 2 more windows adding, (4 are fitted) an awning and some high level cupboards. The problem is that with my particular van - Renault Master with extra high top is that it is a very complicated job to do effectively - intricate shapes to cut round in the roof, hard to get fixing points etc. etc.

When I first bought the van I was going to get it professionally converted, I approached a couple of companies and they refused, saying that they are too hard a van to convert, the bottom half being easy the plastic top is a nightmare.

I am planning to do the rest in the next couple of weeks but the weather has just been a mare. I have the cupboards cut and ready to go up, and recently taken delivery of the adhesives required for the awning. I had hoped to get some done today but the weather is against me again and not looking promising until next Wednesday according to the forecasts. :(

Last edited:
I do get phases like that Barry.

When I first got the van I had a mad few weeks building the interior, trouble is I get fed up after a certain point and lose momentum. Like I said it was done enough to use - bed, kitchen with fridge, sink, full cooker, toilet/shower compartment, gas system, electrics, solar, hot water - I needed a lot of help with electrics and gas coz I just don't know enough to do it myself. That was enough to get it registered as a motor Caravan with the DVLA.

I then hit a wall. All that needs doing is 2 more windows adding, (4 are fitted) an awning and some high level cupboards. The problem is that with my particular van - Renault Master with extra high top is that it is a very complicated job to do effectively - intricate shapes to cut round in the roof, hard to get fixing points etc. etc.

When I first bought the van I was going to get it professionally converted, I approached a couple of companies and they refused, saying that they are too hard a van to convert, the bottom half being easy the plastic top is a nightmare.

I am planning to do the rest in the next couple of weeks but the weather has just been a mare. I have the cupboards cut and ready to go up, and recently taken delivery of the adhesives required. I had hoped to get some done today but the weather is against me again and not looking promising until next Wednesday according to the forecasts. :(
I never got my green van finished, once it was good enough to go on trips, that was it.
Current van I had done, but then I started on a few changes over a year ago, and it's still not finished. :ROFLMAO: Just got a water tank to fit now. That took months to decide where I was going to put it, then decide on the breather, then choose a firm to make it, etc.
I've spent months and months trying to choose a bike rack, and I've still not found 1 I'm completely happy with. Well, I have, but ones made in Australia, other in Spain, both are stupid money.

:ROFLMAO:
Sticking with the music analogy.
Write and record a double album, then do the world tour, then release the live album of tour. Then you've got your DIY MH.
Fleetwood Mac take about 8 years to that lot. :ROFLMAO:

I never got my green van finished, once it was good enough to go on trips, that was it.
Current van I had done, but then I started on a few changes over a year ago, and it's still not finished. :ROFLMAO: Just got a water tank to fit now. That took months to decide where I was going to put it, then decide on the breather, then choose a firm to make it, etc.
I've spent months and months trying to choose a bike rack, and I've still not found 1 I'm completely happy with. Well, I have, but ones made in Australia, other in Spain, both are stupid money.

I'd never taken anything on like this Mark and I'm no carpenter, it was a massive learning curve and if I hadn't had help from Jim (Helmit) and Chris (Edina) on the technical side and to point me in the right direction I would've given up and bought a taylor made years ago.

My old Motorhome (Compass Drifter) served us well but our PVC is actually more comfortable in terms of bed size and the bed being permanent and we also have a better heating system and hot water system in the PVC - and love them or hate them, being a 'whoosh bang' we love the sliding door for admiring the view.

Having said all that, still my favourite van was my little Citroen Dispatch with the roof tent on top.

Strangely, I always got to go away on my own in that! :)

Back