Scooter rack update and pics

Cut it off below the window you will be pissed off when it hits the body never mind the window. It doesn't need to be so long and you can bet your life it will hit at some point. It is amazing how much movement happens on a racks especially on speed humps, potholes and hump back bridges.

I don't think it will, especially now I have moved the seat clamp a bit tighter in. Time is a bit tight now, I dont think ill be able to get it cut off before we leave. How would you cut it anyway? I imagine its going to need more than a standard hack saw?

Sunday off to West Dorset for a week or two then South Devon. Not sure after that.

The "from rock God to Wurzel tour" then.

Can't wait for your version of 'I am a cider drinker' and you do look a bit like Adje Cutler! :giggle:

1720686794403.png

I don't think it will, especially now I have moved the seat clamp a bit tighter in. Time is a bit tight now, I dont think ill be able to get it cut off before we leave. How would you cut it anyway? I imagine its going to need more than a standard hack saw?

Angle grinder Barry.

Angle grinder Barry.

Should be someone with one of those around here I guess. I've emailed my neighbour. I guess the question is which is the best option. Leaning the bike wing mirror gently against the back window every time you put the bike on and take it off or having the pole about 1-2 inches from the back window when the bike is on?

Should be someone with one of those around here I guess. I've emailed my neighbour. I guess the question is which is the best option. Leaning the bike wing mirror gently against the back window every time you put the bike on and take it off or having the pole about 1-2 inches from the back window when the bike is on?

I reckon leaning the mirror would be fine Barry but I would put a thickish piece of cardboard between the mirror and the window to spread the weight and prevent any scratching.

I reckon leaning the mirror would be fine Barry but I would put a thickish piece of cardboard between the mirror and the window to spread the weight and prevent any scratching.

I found a pair of my old thick walking socks Rob. Goes nicely over the mirror. :D Ill practice later and then see if my long suffering neighbour can do it. If not my pal Dick on the farm behind our house will have one. Ill also need to get the black plastic top fitting off and fit it in I guess.

Is this what we are doing then? :D

I'd mark it and then remove before cutting if it bolts on ....
Angle grinder anywhere near paintwork and or plastic will mean bits of hot grindings embedded in the paintwork/plastic forever leaving rusty marks ...

Oh God yes! Its definitely going have to come off.

The plastic caps are only knock on, Once it's cut off shove a brush handle up the hollow section to knock it out. A hacksaw will piss through it, it just takes a bit more effort.

I found a pair of my old thick walking socks Rob. Goes nicely over the mirror. :D Ill practice later and then see if my long suffering neighbour can do it. If not my pal Dick on the farm behind our house will have one. Ill also need to get the black plastic top fitting off and fit it in I guess.

Is this what we are doing then? :D

What did Armitage reckon to cutting it yourself Barry, would it invalidate any warranty?

What did Armitage reckon to cutting it yourself Barry, would it invalidate any warranty?

I just emailed them telling them about the suggestion and if there is any reason they can think of why I shouldnt do it. I cant see how it would invalidate any warranty although I never mentioned that.

I just emailed them telling them about the suggestion and if there is any reason they can think of why I shouldnt do it. I cant see how it would invalidate any warranty although I never mentioned that.

I was thinking that in the case of any failure they might try and get out of any liability because it is altered from original spec. I wouldn't worry about it personally though.

I was thinking that in the case of any failure they might try and get out of any liability because it is altered from original spec. I wouldn't worry about it personally though.

Nah I cant see that. Will see what their response is. I might see if I can get it done tomorrow. Just debating if I should risk chopping the ramp down as well so it fits in the garage rather than having it screwed down onto the rack all the time. Might leave that one for this trip. They made it the same length as the rack to make it easier to push the bike up and some bikes like my old Speedfight had low ground clearance and would catch on the top of the rack if you were not on flat ground but the Honda has good ground clearance. Bit risky this late in the day that one though.

Nah I cant see that. Will see what their response is. I might see if I can get it done tomorrow. Just debating if I should risk chopping the ramp down as well so it fits in the garage rather than having it screwed down onto the rack all the time. Might leave that one for this trip. They made it the same length as the rack to make it easier to push the bike up and some bikes like my old Speedfight had low ground clearance and would catch on the top of the rack if you were not on flat ground but the Honda has good ground clearance. Bit risky this late in the day that one though.

You could always chop the ramp and use a levelling ramp as an extension if you see what I mean?

As you say probably not messing around before your tour for the sake of a little inconvenience.

You could always chop the ramp and use a levelling ramp as an extension if you see what I mean?

As you say probably not messing around before your tour for the sake of a little inconvenience.

Believe it or not with the old Peugeot I did have to use a levelling ramp on odd occasions to extend the ramp if the angle was too steep. It generally never ended well. :ROFLMAO: Ill leave chopping the ramp until we get home. If I cock it up we will be buggered.

That just looks like a generic setup and can be modified to the van from what I can see. If you slacken off the seat clamp could the clamp be slid up and completely off the pole (if any end stops were removed)? If so I would chop it off below the window, slide the clamp off while you put the bike on then refit clamp.

I have never seen one of these in the flesh so this may not be possible, just what it looks like to me from the pics

That just looks like a generic setup and can be modified to the van from what I can see. If you slacken off the seat clamp could the clamp be slid up and completely off the pole (if any end stops were removed)? If so I would chop it off below the window, slide the clamp off while you put the bike on then refit clamp.

I have never seen one of these in the flesh so this may not be possible, just what it looks like to me from the pics

Swot I was saying in post #14 Neil, but apparently it moves left to right.

I must find a video of it in use as it's intriguing me!

Swot I was saying in post #14 Neil, but apparently it moves left to right.

I must find a video of it in use as it's intriguing me!
The clamp looks like it will slide off the top though Rob and isn’t it the height of that that gave Barry clearance doubts?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back