Scooter rack update and pics

Just looking at the rack closely ....

I've got to be honest and say I think this bit looks like poor design

Screenshot_20240711_122808_Chrome.jpg

Maybe it's the angle BUT it looks like the whole load on the rack will be exerting a lot of leverage on those welds .

I'd personally definitely be keeping a close eye on them IF they are as they look

The clamp looks like it will slide off the top though Rob and isn’t it the height of that that gave Barry clearance doubts?

Yes that's what I said (badly) but my idea was to slide it off the top and then slide it back on but sideways so it's not in the way - just somewhere to put it really.

It was a silly idea really as he could just slide it off and let Michelle hold it whilst he revved the chariot up the ramp. But I misunderstood the actual problem anyway.

Just looking at the rack closely ....

I've got to be honest and say I think this bit looks like poor design

View attachment 133017

Maybe it's the angle BUT it looks like the whole load on the rack will be exerting a lot of leverage on those welds .

I'd personally definitely be keeping a close eye on them IF they are as they look

Don't say that you'll give him palpitations!

They've been going a few years so I'm sure they're well tried and tested.

Today has been a bit of a mare. Not only did I spend hours trying to fettle the new scooter rack but as always, every year without fail despite me being very semi retired I have two catastrophic IT disasters with my two biggest remaining clients. You literally could not make it up! :D Neither resolved of course yet!

Anyway. Good points and bad points. The new ramp is way longer than the old one which means it has to be stowed with hand turned bolts onto the rack which is a pain. The old one fit in the garage but the biggest issue is the pole that the seat clamp goes onto bends towards the back window when you clamp it down to within an inch. I thought I had cracked it just now when I figured I needed to adjust the distance on the seat clamp so it was nearer the van to stop the bike and the pole being spread apart when you ratchet it down. That has made it slightly better but its still moving. Its all very secure but just a little too close for comfort to the back window. Also because its not straight when you release the seat clamp its still stuck fast onto the pole because its not on straight. You have to rive it quite hard to get it to free and slide up the pole. I have emailed and contacted Armitage for advice.

I think it will be fine and it feels solid, its just not quite right I don't think. I have to say it, my old rack from 16 years ago I think was better. This looks and feels much posher but the old one was technically perfect.

Had a drive out and it feels fine and I can watch it on one of the rear view cameras if I like. :D Van handles just the same although I never got over 50.

My only comment agree with others, shorten the upright bit or that window will be toast unless there is a valid reason for it to be there of course that I've not read yet.

The only other thing is that the tie-down points and the straps don't look man enough in the pictures and quite awkward to use.

Just to clear it up. The seat clamp does indeed slide off the top of the post very easily. It stores in the garage when not in use.

The question is now if I can get someone to chop it down before Sunday.

As for the construction of the rack. As Rob says they have been at this game a long long time. My last rack which was an early version of this one was on the back of the last van for 16 years and over 70000 miles. Never had any issues with it. Solid as a rock. They did use a thicker post on the old rack though and a bigger seat clamp.

My only comment agree with others, shorten the upright bit or that window will be toast unless there is a valid reason for it to be there of course that I've not read yet.

The only other thing is that the tie-down points and the straps don't look man enough in the pictures and quite awkward to use.

I don't think it will hit the window now Kev. As above they have been using pretty much the same kit for years. I had slightly lighter straps on the old rack. I never replaced them. Still the same ratchet straps 16 years later when I sold the van. Armitage supplied them. It had the same tie down point as well although on that one you just ran the ratchet strap under the long bumper bar.

What's the weight limit on your particular rack Barry and the weight of the rack itself if you know it? (still looking round at different possibilities for the back of mine).

What's the weight limit on your particular rack Barry and the weight of the rack itself if you know it? (still looking round at different possibilities for the back of mine).

Not sure. They used to be 200kg but the weight limit above and beyond the rack and all its fittings on that particular Alko Chassis is 130kg, some are 150kg like the Bailey. That means I can only take a bike up to 130kg. The Vision is just 100kg wet. I think from memory as they took my old towbar off the rack and bumper add 40kg.

I am not sure there is a problem Rob. The clamp wont swivel, it just slides left or right along the bar then you bolt it down when you get the position right. A bit more fiddling and it will be right I think. This tour I reckon will be a good test.
I think Rob meant slide the clamp up & off, swing it 90° put the bike on then slide it up & off and put it as it should be to save you having to pick it up off the floor or lean against the van I think.

I think Rob meant slide the clamp up & off, swing it 90° put the bike on then slide it up & off and put it as it should be to save you having to pick it up off the floor or lean against the van I think.

Ah I see! That might work. I am pretty sure on the old rack I could put it on sideways as Michelle sometimes hung the clothes washing rack off it in that position. Its a tricky one that though as you would have to hold the bike and then undo the seat clamp, lift it off and then drop it down the right way round with one hand. Its a bit further out this rack than my old one and with it being so high the pole its awkward but if its chopped it might be possible to do it that way. Otherwise I might actually be able to balance it in the footwell of the scooter when I put it on the ramp and then just grab it from there.

Yeah that's it Kev, I just ain't very good at explaining wotsits. :giggle:

Pleased to see Val54 suggesting pipe insulation, saves me doing so. We use insulation wrapped in duck tape for handle bar ends to avoid contact with body of vehicle, and on cycle carrier arms to protect bike paint.

Davy

Looking at your pics they don't go overboard with fixing the scoot down do they. I do like the ratchet strap for pulling the seat clamp down though. The post I would cut off below your GB plate. If you ever put another bike on it will still have a similar seat height unless you finally get the KTM 690 :ROFLMAO:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back