Scooter rack update and pics

From the horses mouth. Instructions from the Armitage site on this particular rack.

"Firstly you must tie in the front wheel to the wheel loop to stop side movement using the endless ratchet strap supplied or optional handle bar strap, we then go back to the seat clamp and using the ratchet strap with the swivel snap hooks compress the bike down as hard as the ratchet will let you. This will only allow you to compress the bike so far that when hitting a pot hole at speed it will not jump out of the clamp but leave enough movement in the suspension so not to damage it, under no circumstance should you pull the back end of the bike down with another strap then use the ratchet on the seat post as this could then bottom out your suspension and cause damage. As you can see in the photo the ratchet strap on the seat clamp runs up and down the post, it’s only purpose is to compress the sliding seat clamp more than the Human body could compress, this combined with the front wheel strap secures the bike more than adequately keeping all the straps away from the paint work and plastics to prevent no marks or scuffs from straps flapping in the wind."

From the horses mouth. Instructions from the Armitage site on this particular rack.

"Firstly you must tie in the front wheel to the wheel loop to stop side movement using the endless ratchet strap supplied or optional handle bar strap, we then go back to the seat clamp and using the ratchet strap with the swivel snap hooks compress the bike down as hard as the ratchet will let you. This will only allow you to compress the bike so far that when hitting a pot hole at speed it will not jump out of the clamp but leave enough movement in the suspension so not to damage it, under no circumstance should you pull the back end of the bike down with another strap then use the ratchet on the seat post as this could then bottom out your suspension and cause damage. As you can see in the photo the ratchet strap on the seat clamp runs up and down the post, it’s only purpose is to compress the sliding seat clamp more than the Human body could compress, this combined with the front wheel strap secures the bike more than adequately keeping all the straps away from the paint work and plastics to prevent no marks or scuffs from straps flapping in the wind."

ignore the "horses mouth" on this occasion.. and listen to God's mouth .. uncle T
an extra few poxy ratchet straps will provide extra "insurance"
don't come crying to me when your scooter departs company or smashes into the back of your new MH
you CaNT 🤣

ignore the "horses mouth" on this occasion.. and listen to God's mouth .. uncle T
an extra few poxy ratchet straps will provide extra "insurance"
don't come crying to me when your scooter departs company or smashes into the back of your new MH
you CaNT 🤣

But you cant strap the back down. Armitages are quite clear about that which leaves a couple of straps around the handle bars. In some of the images which I presume are customers photos on the site I linked to some have done that but it wont stop movement an inch or two either way I dont think and I reckon it will detract from the pressure under the seat clamp. On some of them they have stuck foam or even towels under the seat clamp. I mentioned this to one of the engineers and his advice was not to do that as its just inviting extra movement.

If I hadnt had the same bike strapped on the same rack for 16 years I maybe would think differently but I have. The old one went over the Alps and Pyrenees god knows how many times down a zillion bumpy goat tracks and it never once let me down. Exactly the same set up.

But you cant strap the back down. Armitages are quite clear about that which leaves a couple of straps around the handle bars. In some of the images which I presume are customers photos on the site I linked to some have done that but it wont stop movement an inch or two either way I dont think and I reckon it will detract from the pressure under the seat clamp. On some of them they have stuck foam or even towels under the seat clamp. I mentioned this to one of the engineers and his advice was not to do that as its just inviting extra movement.

If I hadnt had the same bike strapped on the same rack for 16 years I maybe would think differently but I have. The old one went over the Alps and Pyrenees god knows how many times down a zillion bumpy goat tracks and it never once let me down. Exactly the same set up.
ok mate.. I am sure that all will be fine but at least strap the front end via handlebars and not the front wheel..
enough said ..
WTF do I know about anything anyway :LOL:

He probably would, it was a slow bike and only four gears, I lost a bloody fortune on that effing thing.

ok mate.. I am sure that all will be fine but at least strap the front end via handlebars and not the front wheel..
enough said ..
WTF do I know about anything anyway :LOL:

I could do that but I don't think it will be needed. The front strap pulls the bike flush to the front wheel frame and the seat clamp secured it down. So it can't go backwards or forwards and it can't move towards the van or away from the van. I should do a video. I meant to this morning but forgot.

Found some photos of the old rack which is as you will see pretty much the same as the new one without the posh powder coated rear lights set up (Which incidentally I paid extra for without being asked!)

Same set up. Two of those are from 2008 and 2009 and one from last year 2023. Lets hope the new ones are built as good as that one was.

Pig on rack.jpg
IMG_20230627_104428 (Large).jpg
bodman-free-night-Custom-pig-Medium.jpg

Last edited:
my Bandit 650 is 215kg so a fixed rack like yours is out of the question as it would overload my rear axle.

Can you measure the height from ground to the platform for me at some point?

As you know I have the "easy-lifter" but there is nothing easy about it .. (its effin heavy and takes a lot of faff to assemble)
also the bike sits very high off the ground and requires considerable skill to ride it up the ramp and it can be very nerve-racking sometimes
I have been talking to @alwaysared for a while now about the pros and cons of the hydra trail.

I think that its about time I put my excellent design engineering skills to some personal use and design a better lower lightweight non-articulated bike trailer
possibly in aluminium
watch this space :)

my Bandit 650 is 215kg so a fixed rack like yours is out of the question as it would overload my rear axle.

Can you measure the height from ground to the platform for me at some point?

As you know I have the "easy-lifter" but there is nothing easy about it .. (its effin heavy and takes a lot of faff to assemble)
also the bike sits very high off the ground and requires considerable skill to ride it up the ramp and it can be very nerve-racking sometimes
I have been talking to @alwaysared for a while now about the pros and cons of the hydra trail.

I think that its about time I put my excellent design engineering skills to some personal use and design a better lower lightweight non-articulated bike trailer
possibly in aluminium
watch this space :)

yeah I should be able to do that but of course the height is also dependent on the motorhome. The guys at Armitage commented that it was a good height on mine. Some are considerably lower. I've seen the various easy lifters type trailers and hydra trails and they all look a faff to me. Armitage do a side loading trailer with pretty much the same design as my rack just with wheels and a tow hitch. It looks pretty good. If you could replicate my rack but one thats articulated that you can reverse you would be onto a winner I think.

The rack or the Scooter? Scooter is 100kg wet, Rack is 40kg. All the weight is low down in the scooter as well. Well I say all the weight, you can pick it up. :D Kind of.
You wanna try lifting an XS1100 if you ever dropped it :(

You wanna try lifting an XS1100 if you ever dropped it :(

I really don't. I did think about a trailer for my Vstrom 650 but I wouldnt even fancy lifting that. Not sure I would want to attempt to get it on a trailer either. Anyway that boats sailed. I had to have my tow bar removed for the scooter rack as its the only way they can get around the type approval changes from 2012 or something like that.

I dropped my wing once, not as bad as you'd think to lift it, fortunately, it was on the right-hand side, the left would have been far more difficult, get as low as you can with your back to the seat and lift with your knees.

I dropped my wing once, not as bad as you'd think to lift it, fortunately, it was on the right-hand side, the left would have been far more difficult, get as low as you can with your back to the seat and lift with your knees.

Thats never gonna happen although I would suspect a car full of Rock God groupies would soon be along to help out.

So phase 2 which is actually go somewhere has passed without a hitch. Now parked up in West Dorset. 330 mile drive. Scooter was solid as a rock. Kept checking it on the camera and pulled over once after 100 miles. Before and after pics. It hasn't moved an inch.

Let Summer begin! 😁

Back