Returning from abroad with out of date MOT

Sounds like an interesting trip. Whats the plan? Dont forget that thanks to ****** you will only get 90 days in mainland Europe (EU countries). I presume you have thought of that as you mention Russia.
Won't need 90 days, can get back from Russia in 2 days. 😂

Come on. Lets have more details of trip.
......I tend to tell people 'east and back', truthfully the aim is Mongolia but due to having to enter Russia twice to achieve this, the visa restrictions/difficulties and deteriorating UK/Russian relations I am trying not to get my heart set on it cos if I cant get East of the Stans I don't want it to feel like a failure. The Gobi is the goal but the encompassing idea though is a year of adventure for us and the boy who will be 4 when we leave and will start school a year late.

Mmmn.
Are you a mechanic..What about tyres etc
How many travelling. How long in Mongolia ?
Mongolia or wherever great but there are other options
eg

I have travelled with Exodus and they are good.
many similar companies.
My trip to Tibet Lhasa was great sorry no link as yet (Yeti ?)
Just suggest you explore other options !

Get an MOT as soon as you leave the Ferry Port, phone a garage whilst on the crossing, use Google to find a garage , make an appointment , stay at Canterbury P N R till you have the MOT and any remedial work you may need to pass the MOT, and then go on your merry way, it really is not too difficult?
You must have a MOT to be driving in Europe because your vehicle MUST be road legal whilst in Europe as it would be in UK, I have been stopped in a roadside check in Spain in the past and all vehicle documents MUST be produced and in order, I was also fined for Wild Camping at Quateira one trip and all Documents were scrutinised at that time too, So if any one sets off for Spain or wherever with a current MOT knowing that it is going to expire whilst there is rather S???? no amount of Flannel or spin would convince me otherwise ? Tax and Insurance can be done on Line when in Europe but NOT MOT , at one time it was possible to get amoody MOT in Benidorm but unfortunately the people who issued the Moody MOT went to Jail ,

Mmmn.
Are you a mechanic..What about tyres etc
How many travelling. How long in Mongolia ?
Mongolia or wherever great but there are other options
eg

I have travelled with Exodus and they are good.
many similar companies.
My trip to Tibet Lhasa was great sorry no link as yet (Yeti ?)
Just suggest you explore other options !
Following below copied and pasted from Mongol rally (The Adventurist). Most years about 2/3rds of contestants make it in 3-4 weeks and they are from all walks of life. I don't want the challenge of the rally as we are a family with a child and want to enjoy the countries as well as the challenge, but my ethos and that of the rally are the same. I am not a mechanic and only have the space for one spare tyre, I don't have 4x4 experience but do have a 4x4 which the rally contestants don't, I still don't know what navigation system I am going to use but I want to give it a good go and fortunately so does my wife. My engine is larger than 1.2L and we have a gas cooker, kettle and loads of tea and we don't have a red telephone box on the roof of a mini like a pair of previous contestants :)

There are other options available as you say..........but this is our chosen one (y)

MONGOL RALLY rules

Rule 1: Small and £$%^
You can take any car, as long as it’s crap and with an engine of 1.2 litre or less. Ideally under 1 litre. For motorbikes we've generously allowed 125cc, but would prefer it to be a scooter.

You need to drive a small, £$%^ car to make the rally tougher. It's no fun if it's too easy. If you want easy go for a spa weekend. If you want to make it harder, take a small bike.

With a small car or bike, you're more likely to break down so you're more likely to interact with the locals, more likely to get stuck and more likely to have an adventure. The worse the car the greater the adventure. In fact if you find your car is doing better than expected you are probably wise to pour sugar in the petrol tank.Rule 2: You're on your own
We could tell you everything you need to know about all the countries, roads and borders between here and Russia to ensure you have a safe, uncomplicated journey. But if it's not dangerous and you aren't lost, you're not on an adventure. That means no backup or support. If you get stuck or in trouble, you need to solve the problem yourself. Any ‘Help! We’re broken down in Tajikistan,’ type phone calls to Rally HQ will be met with a snort of derision and a click of the receiver.

Last edited:
The bloke who converted my current van did the Mongal rally in a Fiat Punto a few years ago.

Might be worth taking some inner tubes. I know not recommended, but they'll get you out of trouble and to the next town where something more permanent can be sorted.

That should be enjoyable as long as you dont take the gung ho approach and break parts

I suggest you plan to return in less than 12 months.
If you intend to spend more than 12 months you have to tell DVLA that you are 'permanently' exporting the vehicle!
I do appreciate that you are looking at contingency planning 'just in case' - we've established that the main issue is not being picked up by police for no MoT in this country but whether if you crash whether your insurance is valid.
You may find a policy that doesn't specifically require an MoT certificate that you can renew while you are delayed.

This doesn't help with the risk of being required to produce papers by police on the way of course. However it will just be papers so as our 'certificates' are plain paper nowadays you might be able to produce something that would pass muster for a routine check.
Otherwise you will have to see what local certification can be acquired for foreign vehicles on your route. We will of course be past the end of the ****** transition period by then so the current arrangement of getting a local MoT to retax the vehicle won't necessarily apply. (Not withstanding the great negotiator's assertion that we'll still have everything we ever had of course 😀)
However if you arrange the tax to run out before the MoT you can easily retax online.

This doesn't help with the risk of being required to produce papers by police on the way of course. However it will just be papers so as our 'certificates' are plain paper nowadays you might be able to produce something that would pass muster for a routine check.
A bit of forgery or fraud - that could probably cause a lot more problems in a foreign country

A bit of forgery or fraud - that could probably cause a lot more problems in a foreign country
Yes - does rather depend on your attitude to risk.
As I said the obvious thing if you want to stay legal is to get back inside 12 months or work out how/whether you can get a local MoT re-route.

Not strictly accurate.... AFAIK
Your insurer has a legal duty to maintain 3rd party cover though no mot will likely mean the loss of fully comp AND your insurance company chasing you through the courts for their losses.
And if the Spanish Police catch up with you you can add another BIG fine to your troubles.

Geneva Convention on Road Traffic requires the vehicle to comply with all technical requirement and be validly registered back in the country of registration.
Apart from that, British law requires that a vehicle that is going to be out of the country for more than x months be formally exported, and SORNing it isn't an option eithe

Spanish Police go to the UK public Database that gives MOT and tax and insurance status and dish out fines accordingly
Post ******, I imagine they will come down a lot harder

The OP has an adventurous trip in mind probably for many months.
Good luck to him but it appears to me that he must aim to return to UK within a year (otherwise he has to export the vehicle !!!).
Organise the MOT for just before he leaves so he has some MOT leeway when returning.
For most of Europe he will still need UK road tax to be paid ( minor cost relatively anyway)
With an MOT in place road tax and uk insurance can be done over tinternet.
The web-site for the rally seems to be able to assist with visas etc
UK vehicle insurance is unlikely to cover all the countries he visits but again the web-site no doubt has ways to solve this.
With some countries you buy insurance at the border.

Last edited:
The OP might find this blog an interesting read. http://www.theworldisourlobster.com/The_World_Is_Our_Lobster/Blog/Blog.html

We met with Catherine and Chris twice, the first time on the Isle of Arran before they set off on their epic adventure and the second time in the Dordogne where I contributed to their blog, a rather boozy evening I seem to remember. http://www.theworldisourlobster.com...011/10/14_96_France_-_Rivers.html?LMCL=TNqjQ9

I do recall that their venture into Russia did not go well.

They may well be a useful contact to get in touch with. Last I heard they were wardens at a Caravan club site in Kendal.

Hi,

On returning from abroad with an out of date MOT do you have any leeway with getting your new MOT done without the first motorway smart camera sending you a fine?
Just book an mot close to home and you are fine. I have done this before and never got any fine or been stopped.

And if the Spanish Police catch up with you you can add another BIG fine to your troubles.

Geneva Convention on Road Traffic requires the vehicle to comply with all technical requirement and be validly registered back in the country of registration.
Apart from that, British law requires that a vehicle that is going to be out of the country for more than x months be formally exported, and SORNing it isn't an option eithe
So TY is going East well east and one of the few folk on here who will actually wild camp in a van and others are worried about running into Spanish police. I have to say that is a fantastic adventure and I wish you all the best, whatever happens the memories will last a lifetime. A mate of mine did the entire length of the Pacific coast in a Bedford "flourist" van he was away for nearly 2 years. He didn't have any real issues, imported the van into a country where import duties weren't high, then exported back to the UK at the end. They always said the adventure didn't start until the van was broken into, all their UK stuff was stolen and they had to dress as South Americans for over a year. Even a dropped valve in some remote bit of Brazil didn't worry them, DHL spare parts, drain oil, tip van on its side engine out through the bottom and reverse and carry on. Have a great time.....

Hi Sid,
Yes the comments about Spanish might seem irrelevent. BUT vital you have all the paperwork in place.
This to prevent unnecessary problems. Without doom-mongering Russian officials may choose to be awkward.
Just a matter of trying to avoid paperwork issues. Whislt in Europe I belive UK insurance depends on a valid MOT so make sure it is in place for the return journey.
The "Rally site" appear to offer vehicle repatriation @£1000 but what about passengers ?
Go for it by all means but do the obvious !

Hi,

On returning from abroad with an out of date MOT do you have any leeway with getting your new MOT done without the first motorway smart camera sending you a fine?
hello. i just commented on your FB, then i see you here, so Hi,

hello. i just commented on your FB, then i see you here, so Hi,
Hi,

I'm not on FB, if you've seen my moho on there I suspect it's a on campervan group? If that's right that's my wife 🙂

Your ambulance looks interesting, maybe as it's a self build you could introduce it on 'motorhome builder' forum as members will be interested. Piccys of build would be good (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back