Returning from abroad with out of date MOT

why not just book an MOT in Dover
In case it fails, I can not predict what 'bush mechanic' fixes will have taken place. If I am late back to the UK I will already be stressed and the last thing I will want is a couple of nights in a premier inn with a tired wife and a bored 5 yr old waiting for parts or even worse its a write off and I am 300 miles from home with a camper full of gear. Getting caught with an out of date MOT but with one booked at home (I can plead the driving to an MOT) is preferable than driving a failed MOT as then I have no excuse.

In case it fails, I can not predict what 'bush mechanic' fixes will have taken place. If I am late back to the UK I will already be stressed and the last thing I will want is a couple of nights in a premier inn with a tired wife and a bored 5 yr old waiting for parts or even worse its a write off and I am 300 miles from home with a camper full of gear. Getting caught with an out of date MOT but with one booked at home (I can plead the driving to an MOT) is preferable than driving a failed MOT as then I have no excuse.
Not sure a 300 mile drive with no mot even if booked in would be classed as reasonable if you have a major defect and have an accident you could put yourself in a position you cant get out of - just make sure you have a couple of days mot left when you get back to uk

Not sure a 300 mile drive with no mot even if booked in would be classed as reasonable if you have a major defect and have an accident you could put yourself in a position you cant get out of - just make sure you have a couple of days mot left when you get back to uk
There are some things that are MOT failures but are not dangerous in the slightest. It would be very annoying to end up in that situation when you have a perfectly roadworthy vehicle but which would not pass the MOT.

(seems strange but roadworthiness and MOT 'passable' are very separate things in the UK).

I fail to see the problem !
You are planning 11 months (Cannot do more without exporting the vehicle !!!!!!)
Get a new MOT just before you go !
If the vehicle fails that MOT you would need to get it fixed before venturing abroad anyway.
All the valid comments re organising an MOT on your return are not valid. Your MOT should allow yoy at least 1 week to get home
Organisation and timing
Yes organise / book one just before the "year old" MOT expires
Concerns about the vehicle breaking down or being delayed are matters and inherent in your trip.
From what I read the "rally fee" covers repatriation.
Organising MOT will be the least of any problems you may encounter !

Police can impound vehicles that they deem as unroadworthy whether they have an mot or not and maybe even crush them - it is all down to personal choice and if people are prepared to take chances

Personally i would not drive a vehicle without an mot further than a few miles or the nearest mot station - but i would ensure i was back in uk before mot was due anyway

Not going to knock anyone for travelling 100s of miles for mot but if they lose their vehicle because of it - i certainly wont have any sympathy either

I fail to see the problem !
You are planning 11 months (Cannot do more without exporting the vehicle !!!!!!)
Get a new MOT just before you go !
If the vehicle fails that MOT you would need to get it fixed before venturing abroad anyway.
All the valid comments re organising an MOT on your return are not valid. Your MOT should allow yoy at least 1 week to get home
Organisation and timing
Yes organise / book one just before the "year old" MOT expires
Concerns about the vehicle breaking down or being delayed are matters and inherent in your trip.
From what I read the "rally fee" covers repatriation.
Organising MOT will be the least of any problems you may encounter !
I am not doing the Mongol rally

I plan to be less than 12 months, I plan to be legal, I plan for everything to be 'hunky dory'..... but it doesn't always work out.

I only asked about cameras

😞

I plan to be less than 12 months, I plan to be legal, I plan for everything to be 'hunky dory'..... but it doesn't always work out.

I only asked about cameras

😞
The M25 is certainly monitored ( britains busiest motorway ) whether the cameras are ANPR cameras is anyones guess - but you could try watching a few of the programmes and figure out if they are ANPR or not - unless you dont intend using the M25

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back