Returning from abroad with out of date MOT

I`m not so sure that the smart cameras pick up on the fact that a vehicle has no MOT.

2 years back the brother-in-law used his daughters car whos MOT and VED had run out 7 months earlier in March to do 2 returns trip from London to Blackpool.

Orpington, Kent to be precise so well south of London and he managed it twice and all done in complete innocence .................................. allegedly.

Also his daughter had been using it daily in and around Greenwich until she went on an extended holiday in the August.

Apparently the VED reminder went to an old address where she`d previously lived because she didn`t bother changed the registered keepers address when she moved.

This led to the cars MOT running out because the VED reminder also reminded her to get it MOT`d

Probably only the ANPR cameras that will catch you as they are linked to DVLA database

Probably only the ANPR cameras that will catch you as they are linked to DVLA database

My thoughts exactly, and seeing as there are hardly any Police on the roads now with ANPR equipped vehicles there`s little chance of getting caught.

I live a couple of miles from the Lancashire Constabulary headquarters at Hutton which houses Dog Unit, Mounted Branch, Air Support, Force Control Room, Serious Crime Team, Force Major Investigation Team, Scientific Support and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles ( Drones ).

I see there is now no link to the Driving School, Vehicles Maintenance & Repair and Underwater Search Unit that used to be there as well :unsure:

Understandably the roads around here used to be crawling with Police vehicles and also junior Officers doing their Stop & Search training on our roads and streets but now there is no sign of them apart from the odd one driving to the M6 / M65 / M61 junctions at Bamber Bridge

Apologies all, I feel I must have phrased my question poorly. I know I can do it I was just asking is there a way to get around the smart cameras with regards to my first journey from Dover to home. Avoiding all motorways and probably some roads such as the A1 seems ridiculous but I also really dont want to get involved with DVLA/no MOT/Just returned to Uk malarky....nightmare!!

sorry

Ive done this several times. We often used to end up staying longer out in Europe than we intended and have driven home with no MOT. Our testing garage is ooop North 320 miles from Dover so we have used all the major routes and motorways where the cameras are and never got pulled or a fine in the post. I guess if (and its a big if) its picked up on a camera the fact that there is a valid MOT certificate passed within a day or two probably stops any process of a fine although I suspect its just not picked up in the first place.

On one occasion in Europe the tax ran out also and as the MOT had expired I had no option but to sorn the van as I would have probably received a fine for no tax. Did the same journey of 320 miles and no fine. Got the van tested straight away and then of course retaxed it once I had a valid MOT.

Dont think you will have any issues.

Good to see what we've been saying for 4 pages confirmed - a handy resource.

Don't see how you can take a MH for an MOT if you are Self Isolating for 14 Days when you get back. You are not supposed to leave the house.

Unfortunately predicting what us Brits can and can't do in Europe in 2022 is not worth giving thought to presently, but will hopefully have a better idea in a year
Pretty sure you wont be spending more than 90 days in Schengen countries legally

I think you are going beyond what is MH related.

Knowing the rules, as I'm sure you do, you know the conversation can't continue. So, you are now baiting.

Don't see how you can take a MH for an MOT if you are Self Isolating for 14 Days when you get back. You are not supposed to leave the house.
You leave the vehicle at the MoT station and make your own way home.
Public transport is allowed to get to isolation location so even if you don't have a car to collect on way to test station you can use bus or taxi as part of your return home.

With the current work loading on mot stations you probably have to book a couple of weeks in advance anyway

With the current work loading on mot stations you probably have to book a couple of weeks in advance anyway
This return to the UK isn't for a long time yet. The trip length should be just under 12 months but my planned return is through Russia and therefore due to the potential of being on the wrong end of Russian bureaucracy I want to have it in my head what the consequences of a late return are.

Thank you all for your feedback and advice

Great forum, ty

This return to the UK isn't for a long time yet. The trip length should be just under 12 months but my planned return is through Russia and therefore due to the potential of being on the wrong end of Russian bureaucracy I want to have it in my head what the consequences of a late return are.

Great forum, ty
Come on. Lets have more details of trip.

Great forum, ty

Sounds like an interesting trip. Whats the plan? Dont forget that thanks to ****** you will only get 90 days in mainland Europe (EU countries). I presume you have thought of that as you mention Russia.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back