Returning from abroad with out of date MOT

Yes, that's one way, looking at the number of German expedition convertors there must be a market.

Only down sides that initially come to mind, some reckon if a new vehicle goes wrong, you'll never get it fixed. I'm not so convinced myself, you may not get the computer reset, but you'll be on your way one way or another, and 2, you'll have a hugely expensive motor with only third party insurance in some countries, so may not want to let vehicle out of your sight. Guess if pockets are deep enough, thats not a problem either.
The problem tends to be modern smart engines get very upset with diesel with a high sulphur content and can even refuse to move. When researching last year modern cats can be a pain in the ass, cant remember why. Modern engines outside of Europe, USA and some parts of Asia can be a real hindrance

Edit* it's the Diesel Particulate Filter that spits its dummy out

Last edited:
There may be two problems in France, or any other EU country you may be in. Firstly if stopped they will want to see a valid MOT, plus will you have leave to stay over 3 months?
Unfortunately predicting what us Brits can and can't do in Europe in 2022 is not worth giving thought to presently, but will hopefully have a better idea in a year

You can get free text messages reminding you to get a test done. If you use a vehicle without an mot you are at fault all sorts of reasons are put forward such as being out of the Country for a year forgot etc all flannel, get organised and sort your affairs. I had my van MOT last month just phoned the garage and an appointment for the next day, it passed OK, my car is due in November how do I know this? Well the expirrry date is on the last year's mot and the DVLA will text me SIMPLES

You can get free text messages reminding you to get a test done. If you use a vehicle without an mot you are at fault all sorts of reasons are put forward such as being out of the Country for a year forgot etc all flannel, get organised and sort your affairs. I had my van MOT last month just phoned the garage and an appointment for the next day, it passed OK, my car is due in November how do I know this? Well the expirrry date is on the last year's mot and the DVLA will text me SIMPLES
Sorry, I am missing your point

Taking your vehicle out the country for over a year is not necessarily flannel.

You are really asking about Smart Cameras or ANPR cameras, or avoiding them on your 300 mile trip from Dover.
So, the first ANPR cameras you will meet on your way out of Dover, will be dotted around the ferry port ( and Eurotunnel if using the tunnel at Folkestone.) Then along the sea front at Dover and up Jubilee hill, or out towards the M20 towards Folkestone and Ashford.
Most of these have been set up to track lorry movements with the upcoming ridiculousness in the new year.
I doubt there is any way to get more than half a mile from Dover Port without being picked up by at least 10 Smart Cameras.
But, if your mot is delayed due to the relaxations of renewal due to COVID ( as I wrote earlier) you will be fine.
Also, as others have said, if you prebook an MOT test anywhere on your homeward journey, you will be fine. Your insurance will be valid ( if you have it) , or the DVLA wouldn’t let you travel like this. ( but breakdown cover may not be valid)
Of course, travelling around Europe without a valid MOT is an offence and your prebooked journey for an MOT cannot start in mainland Europe.

I would be more bothered over the fact if the MOT has run out you would be driving illegally in Europe as it must have a current MOT and VED.
Sorry Faz, I wasnt ignoring your point. As Brussels and Westminster probably have no idea I am presently not giving any consideration to what Brits in vehicles will be eligible to do on the mainland..........we might be filling in visas for 2 weeks in Spain next year ☹

Sorry Faz, I wasnt ignoring your point. As Brussels and Westminster probably have no idea I am presently not giving any consideration to what Brits in vehicles will be eligible to do on the mainland..........we might be filling in visas for 2 weeks in Spain next year ☹
I think 3months in 6 will be agreed on, much of EU will be happy with that, but little incentive for UK to push for more. :(

You are really asking about Smart Cameras or ANPR cameras, or avoiding them on your 300 mile trip from Dover.
So, the first ANPR cameras you will meet on your way out of Dover, will be dotted around the ferry port ( and Eurotunnel if using the tunnel at Folkestone.) Then along the sea front at Dover and up Jubilee hill, or out towards the M20 towards Folkestone and Ashford.
Most of these have been set up to track lorry movements with the upcoming ridiculousness in the new year.
I doubt there is any way to get more than half a mile from Dover Port without being picked up by at least 10 Smart Cameras.
But, if your mot is delayed due to the relaxations of renewal due to COVID ( as I wrote earlier) you will be fine.
Also, as others have said, if you prebook an MOT test anywhere on your homeward journey, you will be fine. Your insurance will be valid ( if you have it) , or the DVLA wouldn’t let you travel like this. ( but breakdown cover may not be valid)
Of course, travelling around Europe without a valid MOT is an offence and your prebooked journey for an MOT cannot start in mainland Europe.
So even though I can legally return with no MOT, have one booked and be on route to it sounds like I could have mountain of paperwork due to ANPRs......

I suspected this and hoping it could be avoided.

I don't think the below will work :LOL:

Dear DVLA, don't worry about all those clever cameras zapping me, I've got my MOT now it's all sorted just bin the paperwork

Borders did not seem to bother old Adolf ether. 😂
Just had the disturbing thought of Boris leading the British invasion over the channel, his golden locks flopping about in the wind as he shouts "for Queen and Country" :ROFLMAO:

So even though I can legally return with no MOT, have one booked and be on route to it sounds like I could have mountain of paperwork due to ANPRs......

I suspected this and hoping it could be avoided.

I don't think the below will work :LOL:

Dear DVLA, don't worry about all those clever cameras zapping me, I've got my MOT now it's all sorted just bin the paperwork

I wouldn't let any of it put me off an extended trip. Whats a bit of paperwork compared to the memories and experience gained.

If any of the paperwork materialises.

I don’t think you would get any paperwork, the information would probably get passed on to any police in the area, then if they thought it was worthwhile they would pull you over, then you just tell them it is booked in for an mot, if you can prove this then you will be ok

From 'Direct Line' website :-

Is my car or van insurance valid without an MOT?
In most cases, as soon as your MOT expires, your insurance will no longer be valid. So if you have an accident, your van won’t be covered by your insurance provider and you’ll have to pay for repairs yourself – or potentially have your van written off. If the accident was your fault, you’ll also have to pay for the damage caused to any other vehicles involved, which could be very expensive. And, because it’s also illegal to drive without valid insurance, if you’re caught, you can face an unlimited fine or even disqualification from driving, plus 6 to 8 penalty points.

You can buy a car today with six months mot left on it and take it for an mot tomorrow you don’t have to stick to any date on an mot you can have your car mot every week if you want it just cancels out the last mot. So mot the week before you leave.

I don’t think you would get any paperwork, the information would probably get passed on to any police in the area, then if they thought it was worthwhile they would pull you over, then you just tell them it is booked in for an mot, if you can prove this then you will be ok
I think the DVLA would contact me, they definitely use the cameras for catching untaxed cars although it isn't there primary role, as you say that is to assist the police. Hopefully it would just be a letter designed to scare and not forms to fill.

From 'Direct Line' website :-

Is my car or van insurance valid without an MOT?
In most cases, as soon as your MOT expires, your insurance will no longer be valid. So if you have an accident, your van won’t be covered by your insurance provider and you’ll have to pay for repairs yourself – or potentially have your van written off. If the accident was your fault, you’ll also have to pay for the damage caused to any other vehicles involved, which could be very expensive. And, because it’s also illegal to drive without valid insurance, if you’re caught, you can face an unlimited fine or even disqualification from driving, plus 6 to 8 penalty points.
Sorry try again;

I believe you can get insurance to get you to your MOT

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back