Returning from abroad with out of date MOT

Do you not need to declare vehicle exported if out of UK for 12 months or over ??

Or has it been less and you just overlooked the expiry date?

So what are you officially meant to do if Travelling out the country for more then 12 months?
You have to "export" the vehicle. But you are not actually moving anywhere to re-register it as you are travelling. A real no-mans land situation :unsure:

Do you not need to declare vehicle exported if out of UK for 12 months or over ??

Or has it been less and you just overlooked the expiry date?
yes you do have to declare it as exported. The question was about smart cameras, Dover to home (where I would like to MOT) is 300 miles and I suspect using a sensible route would involve passing many smart cameras. As the DVLA cant even decide what a campervan is I don't want to get embroiled in paperwork unnecessarily trying to explain why every camera on the M1 thinks Im a very naughty boy :LOL:

Hi,

On returning from abroad with an out of date MOT do you have any leeway with getting your new MOT done without the first motorway smart camera sending you a fine?
You can take your vehicle for an MOT a month earlier than its due, so the longest MOT you could have would be 13 months. If you haven't got one you must arrange an appointment at a UK test centre before you land and drive straight there on your return. You could get a foreign test, e.g. TUV in Germany, that would demonstrate to your insurance company that vehicle is safe on the
road

yes you do have to declare it as exported. The question was about smart cameras, Dover to home (where I would like to MOT) is 300 miles and I suspect using a sensible route would involve passing many smart cameras. As the DVLA cant even decide what a campervan is I don't want to get embroiled in paperwork unnecessarily trying to explain why every camera on the M1 thinks Im a very naughty boy :LOL:

AFAIK there is no prescribed distance you can travel for MOT....

Book it where you like and drive it there ASAP when you land....
It's a none endorsable offence so just a fine IF you get caught...

Obviously bearing in mind the insurance implications if anything goes pear-shaped (same as it would if you were driving to a test round the corner from your house...

So what are you officially meant to do if Travelling out the country for more then 12 months?
You have to "export" the vehicle. But you are not actually moving anywhere to re-register it as you are travelling. A real no-mans land situation :unsure:
From my limited reading at this point I feel it is simply not worth the hassle of being away over 12 months, I do truly understand the need for a certain level of bureaucracy in life but sometimes it is very frustrating

hah, my question was about smart cameras!! :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Thanks for all the great feedback though :love:

You can take your vehicle for an MOT a month earlier than its due, so the longest MOT you could have would be 13 months. If you haven't got one you must arrange an appointment at a UK test centre before you land and drive straight there on your return. You could get a foreign test, e.g. TUV in Germany, that would demonstrate to your insurance company that vehicle is safe on the
road
You have to get a bit lucky on heading abroad with a 13 month ticket :) If you got for an MOT within 1 month of it being due, you get it post-dated so could go away with upto 13 months. But if you get an MOT with more than a month remaining, you only get 12 months (always thought annoying you didn't get the 13 month ticket if having an early test, but c'est lá vie)

One option if 13 months would be useful and you are planning more than a year ahead is to get an MOT 11 months before you are due to depart the UK, then get a new MOT just before you go - that will give you the 13 months while away.

You have to get a bit lucky on heading abroad with a 13 month ticket :) If you got for an MOT within 1 month of it being due, you get it post-dated so could go away with upto 13 months. But if you get an MOT with more than a month remaining, you only get 12 months (always thought annoying you didn't get the 13 month ticket if having an early test, but c'est lá vie)

One option if 13 months would be useful and you are planning more than a year ahead is to get an MOT 11 months before you are due to depart the UK, then get a new MOT just before you go - that will give you the 13 months while away.
oooh, I don't quite understand what you mean at the moment tbh but if you are correct that extra month would give me plenty of leeway (y)

oooh, I don't quite understand what you mean at the moment tbh but if you are correct that extra month would give me plenty of leeway (y)

Won't get far in 6.5 months. Need two years away minimum. :D

As I understand the vehicle has to be insured , then you can drive it too and from a pre booked mot .it must be pre booked as evidence will be needed if you stopped by the police or anpr camara . An mot test center would give you the information you need , .last resort would be pay for recovery to home .

Ok - let's run a scenario .....

Your Delica is MOTed until December 31st 2020.

You plan to be away from June 10th 2022 until July 1st 2023 (so 12 months 20 days)

MOTs would go like this ....
Get your MOT done in December as normal to give you an MOT until 31st 2021
Next time, instead of waiting until December 2021 for an MOT, you get it done early on July 9th 2021 - makes your next MOT due on July 8th 2022
You then get the next MOT done on June 9th 2022 - so just within the one month remaining that will keep the renewal date of July 8th 2023.

You can now head off on the 10th June 2022 and you will be MOTed until July 8th 2023 - and this will also allow you to keep the Road Tax going so you can return to the UK with a valid MOT and current Road Tax, with the only complication being Insurance (which I am sure you have in hand and is a different topic).

The dates I made up above gives you a week leeway for a delayed return. You might want to adjust to give yourself some leeway before departure in case of work needed for MOT instead?

I guess the ideal option - if you have nice deep pockets - is to buy a brand new vehicle and take that away ... 3 years to go and come back :)

Yes, that's one way, looking at the number of German expedition convertors there must be a market.

Only down sides that initially come to mind, some reckon if a new vehicle goes wrong, you'll never get it fixed. I'm not so convinced myself, you may not get the computer reset, but you'll be on your way one way or another, and 2, you'll have a hugely expensive motor with only third party insurance in some countries, so may not want to let vehicle out of your sight. Guess if pockets are deep enough, thats not a problem either.

There may be two problems in France, or any other EU country you may be in. Firstly if stopped they will want to see a valid MOT, plus will you have leave to stay over 3 months?

Ok - let's run a scenario .....

Your Delica is MOTed until December 31st 2020.

You plan to be away from June 10th 2022 until July 1st 2023 (so 12 months 20 days)

MOTs would go like this ....
Get your MOT done in December as normal to give you an MOT until 31st 2021
Next time, instead of waiting until December 2021 for an MOT, you get it done early on July 9th 2021 - makes your next MOT due on July 8th 2022
You then get the next MOT done on June 9th 2022 - so just within the one month remaining that will keep the renewal date of July 8th 2023.

You can now head off on the 10th June 2022 and you will be MOTed until July 8th 2023 - and this will also allow you to keep the Road Tax going so you can return to the UK with a valid MOT and current Road Tax, with the only complication being Insurance (which I am sure you have in hand and is a different topic).

The dates I made up above gives you a week leeway for a delayed return. You might want to adjust to give yourself some leeway before departure in case of work needed for MOT instead?
I get it now (y)

Thank you

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back