Premium Diesel

Which Diesel Do You Use ?

• Total voters
So you think that his personal effort was worth £40,000 per day? I think it more likely he became wealthy by paying many people a lot less than the revenue they generated.

Another way to look at it is that without his work the revenue would never have been generated.

Another way to look at it is that without his work the revenue would never have been generated.
Chances are that if he hadn't organised the people who organised the people who did the work, someone else would have done it.
Perhaps I'm being unfair in that: I have to admit that I don't know what was supposed to be unique about his contribution towards the progress of humanity. Can you summarise it?

Chances are that if he hadn't organised the people who organised the people who did the work, someone else would have done it.
Perhaps I'm being unfair in that: I have to admit that I don't know what was supposed to be unique about his contribution towards the progress of humanity. Can you summarise it?

Only to say that to have been considered one of the greatest entrepreneurs of all time is quite an achievement.

Yes, I recall that pleasure boats were supposed to stop using it a few years ago. Bizarrely, most of the people I know who have boats, have working boats, not pleasure craft. I don't know if they use red diesel.
Lough erne is full of p craft with no one to sniff out red,or take a chance of getting there nose blead trying to police it.
lough erne.png

Do you use Premium Diesel ?

If so which one Esso, Shell, Texaco or BP ?

Have you found a difference when using it over ordinary diesel ?

Actual experience only please and none of the .................................. my mate down the pubs says

Personally I did try using shell V power several years ago and I got exactly the same MPG with supermarket fuel.
There was a BBC programme on a year or so ago that tested these premium fuels. The conclusion was unless you have a "Performance engine" there is no advantage whatsoever.

After a problem with a top up of duff deisel from a motorway service station, I decided to compare my usual 'any deisel will do' with V Power, after a couple of thousand miles of comparing the two I could find definite differance.
Most people who put premium fuels in their tank also start driving more efficiently and they swear it's the fuel that is giving them better MPG. I suppose they need to justify spending all that extra money. Driving more efficiently on normal fuel will also produce the same 2 or 3 MPG increase.

Most people who put premium fuels in their tank also start driving more efficiently and they swear it's the fuel that is giving them better MPG. I suppose they need to justify spending all that extra money. Driving more efficiently on normal fuel will also produce the same 2 or 3 MPG increase.

The first time I put premium diesel in my car at Costco I was not aware it was premium diesel. Also as stated already premium diesel at Costco is cheaper than normal regular diesel elsewhere. And it’s not just the slightly better mpg that matters, the car feels better, and it’s helping the engine. Experts reckon one in four refills should be premium.

Do you use Premium Diesel ?

If so which one Esso, Shell, Texaco or BP ?

Have you found a difference when using it over ordinary diesel ?

Actual experience only please and none of the .................................. my mate down the pubs says
I worked for Shell for a few years. We used a scanning electron microscope at one point and the operator showed us pictures of their test car engine parts namely valve stems. The debris build up on the car using fuel with additive was significantly less. I was in the sulphur and bitumen division. What became abundantly clear was that no claim could be made about a Shell product that had not been before company legal scrutiny. We had to gather our research and my boss had to be interviewed by the legal team and prove to them that what we claimed was able to be substantiated in court. So if they say it improves fuel economy, then it does. How much depends on the vehicle, its engine condition, how you drive etc. But all other things being equal it should do what it days to the point of justifying the extra paid.
With regard to which brand is best, in many areas fuel and additives are the same or similar. In some cases a single refinery will supply may different brand outlets in the area. They may add their own additives but the base feel is often the same. If you do a regular commute try testing the fuel over a period of time. But be mindful of driving conditions acceleration use of AC being the same during your "experiment"
Hope that helps

I worked for Shell for a few years. We used a scanning electron microscope at one point and the operator showed us pictures of their test car engine parts namely valve stems. The debris build up on the car using fuel with additive was significantly less. I was in the sulphur and bitumen division. What became abundantly clear was that no claim could be made about a Shell product that had not been before company legal scrutiny. We had to gather our research and my boss had to be interviewed by the legal team and prove to them that what we claimed was able to be substantiated in court. So if they say it improves fuel economy, then it does. How much depends on the vehicle, its engine condition, how you drive etc. But all other things being equal it should do what it days to the point of justifying the extra paid.
With regard to which brand is best, in many areas fuel and additives are the same or similar. In some cases a single refinery will supply may different brand outlets in the area. They may add their own additives but the base feel is often the same. If you do a regular commute try testing the fuel over a period of time. But be mindful of driving conditions acceleration use of AC being the same during your "experiment"
Hope that helps
If they say it improves ... it does. Yes, but if they say it gives "up to 6% better" it doesn't. "Up to 6%" includes 0%.
I've found that on a longer trip, the biggest improvement in MPG comes from using the cruise control. It has a lighter right foot then I do, accelerates more gently.

The first time I put premium diesel in my car at Costco I was not aware it was premium diesel. Also as stated already premium diesel at Costco is cheaper than normal regular diesel elsewhere. And it’s not just the slightly better mpg that matters, the car feels better, and it’s helping the engine. Experts reckon one in four refills should be premium.

The consumer watchdog "Which?" did a documentary on the BBC that tested the claims of "premium fuel" about a year ago ( maybe 18 months) They concluded that unless you have a performance engine the benefits are negligible. They did say the detergent in the premium fuel could keep the engine and injectors cleaner but apart from that they could find no performance or MPG increases under the same strict test conditions they did the tests under.
They also said that Shell, Esso, Texaco etc do add detergent into their STD priced fuels, so yes if all you use is supermarket fuel, your engine could benefit from a tank of this fuel every so often to keep the fuel system cleaner ......or just put a bottle of injector cleaner / fuel additive in yourself once in a while.

I use any of the premium fuel possible V power mostly, I am not able to say it is a financial return in mpg that motivates me, however modern Common rail engines suffer with injectors failing prematurely with shooting and clogging.

Apparently Costco has had a fall out with Amex. Costco now accepts any credit card for payment within store and at their fuel pumps.
didn't know about any fallout, but yup, since Jan 6th apparently all payment types accepted (I asked at Customer Service a few days ago when renewing)

The consumer watchdog "Which?" did a documentary on the BBC that tested the claims of "premium fuel" about a year ago ( maybe 18 months) They concluded that unless you have a performance engine the benefits are negligible. They did say the detergent in the premium fuel could keep the engine and injectors cleaner but apart from that they could find no performance or MPG increases under the same strict test conditions they did the tests under.
They also said that Shell, Esso, Texaco etc do add detergent into their STD priced fuels, so yes if all you use is supermarket fuel, your engine could benefit from a tank of this fuel every so often to keep the fuel system cleaner ......or just put a bottle of injector cleaner / fuel additive in yourself once in a while.

pedalman I could find loads of stuff online to counter what you have found.
but I don’t base my comments on what I have read but on what I have found personally. I am not making it up I do get slightly better mileage and my car and van do run better. But bottom line right now Costco are selling premium diesel for £115.7 a litre, what are you paying for regular diesel. And before anyone says you have to be a member I have been for 24 years, long before they started selling fuel two years ago.

.. And before anyone says you have to be a member I have been for 24 years, long before they started selling fuel two years ago.
Yes, Costco sell diesel for 3p per litre less than the local garages. For me, it's a 5 mile round trip to the nearest cheap garage, a 46 mile round trip to the nearest CostCo filling station.
I cancelled my CostCo membership because it cost more than it saved me, though that was before they sold fuel.
I doubt I'd ever get the £26.40 per year back. After allowing an extra 2p for the "premium" added to the fuel, that 5p saving means I'd have to buy 528 litres to break even.
If you include the extra distance to fill up, it never pays off: assuming I put in 75 litres each time, that would mean I'd save £3.75 per fill. Driving 40 miles costs more than £3.75.

Yes, Costco sell diesel for 3p per litre less than the local garages. For me, it's a 5 mile round trip to the nearest cheap garage, a 46 mile round trip to the nearest CostCo filling station.
I cancelled my CostCo membership because it cost more than it saved me, though that was before they sold fuel.
I doubt I'd ever get the £26.40 per year back. After allowing an extra 2p for the "premium" added to the fuel, that 5p saving means I'd have to buy 528 litres to break even.
If you include the extra distance to fill up, it never pays off: assuming I put in 75 litres each time, that would mean I'd save £3.75 per fill. Driving 40 miles costs more than £3.75.

well then it’s a no brainer for you.
I bought a shredder from them last week for £56. Cheapest on eBay for same shredder £95. But unlike you I drive past it 3 or 4 times a week. You can share membership with a friend to half cost.

I had shreddies for breakfast this morning.
As i sail in a early post,all the tankers fill at two units in belfast no mater which name is on the truck,and no they dont add a secret tube of magic fiery dust to it,its b7 as laid down by gov rules and all the additives for cleaning etc are in it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back