Premium Diesel

Which Diesel Do You Use ?

• Total voters
Very rarely use premium, once every month or two, or if there's a queue at standard pump. Use any station thats around when I need to top up, but never use supermarket fuel, mainly because I never go to supermarkets with a station 😂
Only place the van is guaranteed to get premium is in Luxembourg.

99% of stations here only do one grade,the other grade is low sulphur, thats it

Supermarket only unless I’m in Europe and I just fill at the local garages enroute. Never had a problem.

my last car I did 120,000 miles always in supermarket fuel and no issues.

There are only two co holding tanks here,esso and tex,all fuel comes from them nomater where you buy or what names on it as it has to meet the standards.

I think it's a fallacy that diesel is any different at a supermarket than anywhere else. The super just has a few extra cleaning agents in, which you can also get by adding something like Wynn's injector cleaner occasionally.
It's never been proven that you get more MPG using super diesel, than standard.

There are only two co holding tanks here,esso and tex,all fuel comes from them nomater where you buy or what names on it as it has to meet the standards.
I think it's a fallacy that diesel is any different at a supermarket than anywhere else. T

Maggy used to work for BP at the oil refinery in Tamworth, she told me from her office window she could see the tankers from Shell/Esso/BP and lots of other smaller suppliers and they all filled from the same holding tank, they had to because there was only one for petrol and one for diesel, this was before premium fuels were thought about, I buy supermarket fuel and I have never had a problem

I use standard diesel or supermarket in both cars and the motorhome, never had any problems covering a total of around 60,000 combined miles per year.

Maggy used to work for BP at the oil refinery in Tamworth, she told me from her office window she could see the tankers from Shell/Esso/BP and lots of other smaller suppliers and they all filled from the same holding tank, they had to because there was only one for petrol and one for diesel, this was before premium fuels were thought about, I buy supermarket fuel and I have never had a problem

Did she comment on what different additives they all added?

What’s standard B7 premium diesel
I use a tank of BP every so often, very occasionally!!

This below from the Costco website:-

Deposit control additives:
Every grade of Kirkland Signatureâ„¢ Fuel contains deposit control additive that keeps your engine protected and running like new.
Variations in deposit control additive formulations are the main difference between brands of fuel. Kirkland Signatureâ„¢ Fuels have been proven to clean deposits and restore dirty engine components to like-new performance.

To comply with the Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation (RFTO) order and European legislation, a certain amount of ethanol may be blended with British Standard petrol (BS EN 228) and biodiesel with British Standard diesel (BS EN 590).

Costco advises that you consult your vehicle owner's manual to determine the suitability of these fuels for your vehicle.

What’s standard B7 premium diesel
I use a tank of BP every so often, very occasionally!!

Quickly looked it up, not that I understand what it means just yet!

"B7, in a square label, is the new mark for Diesel pumps. It means the fuel is made up of a maximum 7% renewable biodiesel."

"What is the difference between standard diesel and premium diesel?
A premium diesel has a higher cetane number, better lubricity and includes detergents that provide injector-cleaning capability versus standard #2 diesel. Cetane measures a fuel's ignition delay. Higher cetane equals a shorter delay and better ignition quality for quicker start-ups and less pollution."

Did she comment on what different additives they all added?
They didn't add any different additives then, the tankers all filled up with the same and then went straight to the service station to fill their tanks, it could be different now but I doubt it

This below from the Costco website:-

Deposit control additives:
Every grade of Kirkland Signatureâ„¢ Fuel contains deposit control additive that keeps your engine protected and running like new.
Variations in deposit control additive formulations are the main difference between brands of fuel. Kirkland Signatureâ„¢ Fuels have been proven to clean deposits and restore dirty engine components to like-new performance.

To comply with the Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation (RFTO) order and European legislation, a certain amount of ethanol may be blended with British Standard petrol (BS EN 228) and biodiesel with British Standard diesel (BS EN 590).

Costco advises that you consult your vehicle owner's manual to determine the suitability of these fuels for your vehicle.
All co say that,its all in every gal you buy from whoever as it has to meet gov guide lines,all smoke and mirrors.

Additives can be added when tanker is filled up and some tankers can add the additives when delivering at individual stations, so just because you see the same tanker filling up both bog standard and premium fuels at the same station, that doesn't mean additives haven't been added. Additives are added according to each fuel companies own recipe.

All co say that,its all in every gal you buy from whoever as it has to meet gov guide lines,all smoke and mirrors.

... except that Costco Premium Diesel is usually about 10p per litre cheaper than Standard Diesel, never mind premium diesel anywhere else!

Trev, I can assure you my car and my van both run better on premium diesel from Costco. I checked today and it’s £1.17 a litre. Most garages are around £1.25 for normal diesel. So the cost element does not come into it. When I have to fill at a filling station whilst out and about, I can feel the difference.

Additives can be added when tanker is filled up and some tankers can add the additives when delivering at individual stations, so just because you see the same tanker filling up both bog standard and premium fuels at the same station, that doesn't mean additives haven't been added. Additives are added according to each fuel companies own recipe.
I understand what you are saying but Maggy was a Manager in the office of BP and their tankers didn't add anything, straight to the station or supermarket and nothing added, if BP didn't add them do you think the others did?, where would they add them to ensure the additives were mixed, certainly they didn't when Maggy worked there, as I said it maybe different now with modern technology but I still remain unconvinced.

I used to be with British Gas for my energy supplies, I am now with Shell Energy who tell me it is all renewable energy I am receiving, I don't believe that either

Trev, I can assure you my car and my van both run better on premium diesel from Costco. I checked today and it’s £1.17 a litre. Most garages are around £1.25 for normal diesel. So the cost element does not come into it. When I have to fill at a filling station whilst out and about, I can feel the difference.
There is a difference between standard and premium diesel but you can put your own additives in to see the same improvement, obviously it is more convenient to use premium, I prefer to add my own

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back