Premium Diesel

Which Diesel Do You Use ?

• Total voters
Trev, I can assure you my car and my van both run better on premium diesel from Costco. I checked today and it’s £1.17 a litre. Most garages are around £1.25 for normal diesel. So the cost element does not come into it. When I have to fill at a filling station whilst out and about, I can feel the difference.
£1.18 here at tesco where it all comes out of the one tin,no additives added as i know a few tanker drivers and ask them this after the last round of my diesel is better than yours, you can buy a higher bio diesel but many are scared to use it here, my van will run on anything and i can find no difference whatsoever, 30mpg at best come rain or shine.

Lard and Scraps or asda diesel but not brave enough to run red diesel.
It dies the filters,heating oil 20ltrs with 1.5 cooking oil,many new common rail engines dont like it or run lumpy,there is a slight yellow die in it also,irish republic use green derv for tractor fuel.

Many years ago I worked for JCB and one of our agricultural users used to run his Fastrac on red diesel despite having to legally run white diesel because Of the amount of time he spent on the road. He should really have been using 2 tanks, but didn’t.

he kept on getting stopped by the ministry because they knew he was an easy target and always got done. He had enough of it one day and simply killed himself. Seems a bit extreme to me, but he never got stopped again.

Many years ago I worked for JCB and one of our agricultural users used to run his Fastrac on red diesel despite having to legally run white diesel because Of the amount of time he spent on the road. He should really have been using 2 tanks, but didn’t.

he kept on getting stopped by the ministry because they knew he was an easy target and always got done. He had enough of it one day and simply killed himself. Seems a bit extreme to me, but he never got stopped again.
If reg as a farm you can use red within a 6 mile circle ,a chap i knew bought a very very big earth mover and drove 4 miles into belfast each day to work for about six mths just to be awkward.

I have been doing courier work for the last 19 years doing 500+ miles per day so every penny per litre counts so I nearly always fill up at supermarkets and have never had a problem.
For 8 years I only did European courier work and occasionally when coming through Luxembourg as the fuel is a lot cheaper I would try out the shell v power and didn’t notice any difference in performance or mileage and I always zero the trip computer every time I fill the tank

Many years ago I ran a small garage in the West Country which sold Cleveland Petrol back in the days of “five star Cleveland Discol with added alcohol”. All the deliveries were from Esso tankers who owned Cleveland anyway and as far as I know all deliveries for other brands came from the same Avonmouth centre. On our first delivery of the Discol five star the driver connected to our five star tank then got on top of the tanker and squirted an eye dropper into it. Puzzled I asked him what he was doing. That’s the added alcohol he informed me.......
I suspect things regarding additives and enhancements in fuel have changed little since then......

I have been doing courier work for the last 19 years doing 500+ miles per day so every penny per litre counts so I nearly always fill up at supermarkets and have never had a problem.
For 8 years I only did European courier work and occasionally when coming through Luxembourg as the fuel is a lot cheaper I would try out the shell v power and didn’t notice any difference in performance or mileage and I always zero the trip computer every time I fill the tank

Sorry Helen but filling up once with a premium fuel then checking out your mpg does not mean that you won’t benefit from it in the long run. And what’s more important is that premium fuels are good for your engine particularly older engines. As I have said experts reckon one in four refills should be done in order to benefit from better engine performance and mpg. As I have also stated if you are near to a Costco and are a member their premium fuel is cheaper than regular, so the cost element has been eliminated. Here is some online info.

However, premium diesel will potentially help your engine run smoother and cleaner, which can improve both performance and economy with regular use. This may be more noticeable on older or higher-mileage engines than in a brand new car which hasn't yet accumulated any sediments within the engine.12 Dec 2018

Premium diesel and premium unleaded - are they worth it?
www.thecarexpert.co.uk › premium-diesel-petrol

Search for: Is premium diesel any better?
Does premium diesel make a difference?
A premium diesel can help make this happen by delivering more power and better fuel economy than a regular #2. In fact, tests have shown a 4.5 percent increase in power and a 5 percent increase in fuel economy compared to a typical diesel fuel.

Sorry Helen but filling up once with a premium fuel then checking out your mpg does not mean that you won’t benefit from it in the long run. And what’s more important is that premium fuels are good for your engine particularly older engines. As I have said experts reckon one in four refills should be done in order to benefit from better engine performance and mpg. As I have also stated if you are near to a Costco and are a member their premium fuel is cheaper than regular, so the cost element has been eliminated. Here is some online info.

However, premium diesel will potentially help your engine run smoother and cleaner, which can improve both performance and economy with regular use. This may be more noticeable on older or higher-mileage engines than in a brand new car which hasn't yet accumulated any sediments within the engine.12 Dec 2018

A premium diesel can help make this happen by delivering more power and better fuel economy than a regular #2. In fact, tests have shown a 4.5 percent increase in power and a 5 percent increase in fuel economy compared to a typical diesel fuel.
i do love articles sprinkled with "can, potential and maybe" sure sign that they are pure fiction

i do love articles sprinkled with "can, potential and maybe" sure sign that they are pure fiction

Im my experience I would replace these words with does.
obviously when writing articles like this the authors have to be careful not to make promises. In my experience both my car and van run better on Costco’s premium diesel, my car more so probably because it’s older.
Last summer I drove from Glasgow to Snowdonia, 3 passengers and my boot full of walking gear. Mercedes c220 diesel I got 65mpg on premium going down. Filled with regular for home trip got 58mpg. I drove at 70mph.

Im my experience I would replace these words with does.
obviously when writing articles like this the authors have to be careful not to make promises. In my experience both my car and van run better on Costco’s premium diesel, my car more so probably because it’s older.
Last summer I drove from Glasgow to Snowdonia, 3 passengers and my boot full of walking gear. Mercedes c220 diesel I got 65mpg on premium going down. Filled with regular for home trip got 58mpg. I drove at 70mph.
Well just look at the globe. It was uphill on the way back.....

I hear on the news the (son in law of a billionaire) chancellor is going to scrap the subsidy on red diesel. Presume the farmers will need to go back to horses and carts and the builders will need loads of shovels instead of a JCB. Will just put the prices up methinks which won't really inconvenience the chancellor. Bob

Well I can’t say what was used in the van before I bought it but I have always used standard diesel in my Sprinter and as I said previously a shot of Redex approximately once a month and the engine is sweet as a nut, now over 100,000 miles on the clock.
You need to put your van on a rolling road and test properly to get real answers. If folks see/perceive an advantage in a certain brand/grade then do what suits you. Me? I will go for cheapest available wherever I need to fill, saying that if I had a Costco nearby I would probably splurge out at £1.17 a litre. Cheapest standard here at present is almost £1.25 for Morrrisons cheapest diesel

There is a difference between standard and premium diesel but you can put your own additives in to see the same improvement, obviously it is more convenient to use premium, I prefer to add my own

Me too, at least I know there IS some injector cleaner, etc ... in it.

With regards to petrol, the issue for me with the TR5 is the octane and the E5 content - hence using Castrol Valvemaster Plus and V-Power, to both protect the exhaust valves from the unleaded fuel, and to get as near as possible to the old 5* (101) octane.

Well I can’t say what was used in the van before I bought it but I have always used standard diesel in my Sprinter and as I said previously a shot of Redex approximately once a month and the engine is sweet as a nut, now over 100,000 miles on the clock.
You need to put your van on a rolling road and test properly to get real answers. If folks see/perceive an advantage in a certain brand/grade then do what suits you. Me? I will go for cheapest available wherever I need to fill, saying that if I had a Costco nearby I would probably splurge out at £1.17 a litre. Cheapest standard here at present is almost £1.25 for Morrrisons cheapest diesel

100,000 miles is just starting to get run in for a Sprinter, all of mine did around 500,000 miles in three years except for my last one that I kept for 7 years as I stopped doing European work when it was three years old so kept it for nearly 7 years and had done just over 922,000 miles when some scroat stole the DPF and at £3,000 for a new one I wasn’t going to spend that sort of money on it so sold it which was a shame as I wanted to do the million miles with it before parting with it, and most of these miles were done with supermarket fuel

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back