Premium Diesel

Which Diesel Do You Use ?

• Total voters
I had shreddies for breakfast this morning.
As i sail in a early post,all the tankers fill at two units in belfast no mater which name is on the truck,and no they dont add a secret tube of magic fiery dust to it,its b7 as laid down by gov rules and all the additives for cleaning etc are in it.

was it premium shreddies trev, or plain old regular.:)

I generally use supermarket diesel because, A, the local ASDA was just down the road and the cheapest fuel in Northern Ireland, BUT, B, I could be reasonably sure of the provenance of the fuel.
Ireland, both sides of the border was (and probably still is) rife with outlets selling laundered diesel which was “refined” along the border counties at huge cost to the environment, the exchequer and people’s engines. Much of it found its way into branded forecourts, so supermarket is likely to be more authentic and I simply add a dose of Millers from time to time.

Davy

I generally use supermarket diesel because, A, the local ASDA was just down the road and the cheapest fuel in Northern Ireland, BUT, B, I could be reasonably sure of the provenance of the fuel.
Ireland, both sides of the border was (and probably still is) rife with outlets selling laundered diesel which was “refined” along the border counties at huge cost to the environment, the exchequer and people’s engines. Much of it found its way into branded forecourts, so supermarket is likely to be more authentic and I simply add a dose of Millers from time to time.

Davy
True davy,i use the go station in glengormley as its even less by a few coppers than tesco.
True about names stations using laundered fuel as a car i had in stank of bleach which they use to remove the red dye,the chap bought his fuel in carrickfergus but i cannot say where.;)

True davy,i use the go station in glengormley as its even less by a few coppers than tesco.
True about names stations using laundered fuel as a car i had in stank of bleach which they use to remove the red dye,the chap bought his fuel in carrickfergus but i cannot say where.;)
As I understand it, VOSA/DVSA/whatever take a chemical sample and not just say "oh, not red, drive along sir". so Bleachy Boy still can get caught and done.

morning all

i have a 2011 ducato 2,2 based motorhome with the ford puma engine

a few years ago on cold mornings when pulling away i could make the engine sound like it was pinking just like an old petrol engine

i put it into a fiat professional dealer and was told that this is not au unusual thing with the ford puma engine ans should run it on premium diesel

my findings are on a cold morning

shell v power no rattle
red x does not make any difference and still will rattle
normal diesel and it rattles
i also find that other premium fuels dont stop the rattle so well as v power

i have recently started to add some kent fuel guard and that seems to make a difference

i was told by a dutch guy that worked in the oil industry that the standard diesel can have an effect on the firing when cold and this combined with the ecu settings for a cold engine is what makes them rattle

i now if possible buy shell v power and if i cannot get it add kent fuel guard

the engine definitely runs better and smoother with the v power and the extra price over the year is not that much and stops me listening every cold morning to see if it is still there

this is just my findings and it works for me

barry

If they say it improves ... it does. Yes, but if they say it gives "up to 6% better" it doesn't. "Up to 6%" includes 0%.
I've found that on a longer trip, the biggest improvement in MPG comes from using the cruise control. It has a lighter right foot then I do, accelerates more gently.
I find though cruise control labours on inclines even though I change down as necessary.
I am surprised at improvement in displayed economy if I lift my foot off accelerator and reapply sufficiently to maintain speed.
Also increase speed going down a hill and slow up a little up the other side!!!!
Not sure how much this converts into overall economy though, feels positive though.

I usually use the normal supermarket diesel, it's got the additives to stop it gunging up and cleans the pump and injectors as it goes through the system. (Being involved in petroleum delivery and supply) I know that different companies use different additives at the fuel terminals, COSTCO add their own at the pump, so it's cheaper for them to bulk buy initially. All the fuel comes out of the same storage tanks, it's just a different blend of additives depending on who has it delivered.

Every once in a while I pour in a pot of Redex injector cleaner, or if the price seems right fill up with super diesel (in the car here not the moho), which does seem to return a slightly higher mpg and make the engine a bit more responsive. For me the extra cost doesn't outweigh the benefit, so I look for the cheapest supermarket or big chain garage.
I've never had an issue with fuel quality. Petrol however is a different matter, always run the bike on Super unleaded, also the wifes Mini, MPG seems much better, runs smoother and more responsive.
I think it's all down to personal choice and there is no right or wrong answer.

Could be wrong but I though all our diesel, or nearly all of it is B7 now. Haven't come across B10 yet in UK, but sure it's on its way. Not that I check every time I fill up, well apart from checking it's diesel in the van and petrol in the car 😂
You do not want to use B10 fuel if you have a modern Fiat engine ....... it will stop, ECU will need resetting and the tank will need draining....it is very poor fuel normally sold in France.
I dont know about other modern engines.

You do not want to use B10 fuel if you have a modern Fiat engine ....... it will stop, ECU will need resetting and the tank will need draining....it is very poor fuel normally sold in France.
I dont know about other modern engines.
B10 im sure has more bio in it ,and thats the way we are going to be green.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back