Premium Diesel

Which Diesel Do You Use ?

• Total voters

Wooie1958

Do you use Premium Diesel ?

If so which one Esso, Shell, Texaco or BP ?

Have you found a difference when using it over ordinary diesel ?

Actual experience only please and none of the .................................. my mate down the pubs says

I just use standard but put a shot of RedX in every month. I know it may not be needed but it’s habit and keeps me happy.

When I was in car club they did a lot of testing on a rolling road with Shell VPower petrol. They did find an improvement in power if you remapped the engine to run on it. Any gains were lost if you used ordinary fuel after the remap though. Not heard of anything similar being done on diesel so don’t know if it works the same

I put a shot of RedX in too, unfortunately I am on the last bottle now, this is from 40 bottles I bought for 20p each from Tesco 4-5 years ago..

May have to do a crowd fund if I am to pay full price? ;)

I had my van remapped and was told never to use supermarket fuel, but when you consider the price difference (especially with a 5p of a litre voucher) its a no brainer, and I always use supermarket fuel.
It did get a bit lumpy once but that cured when I changed the diesel fuel filter. So I just change the fuel filter more often than they recommend and I have not had any issues.

I throw some in after 4-5 tanks of standard diesel, hopefully to help keep injectors clean,not sure if it helps but it certainly doesn't hurt.

The only thing I use a super fuel in is my TR5, as it was originally designed for 5* petrol. I use V-Power for that, plus an octane booster, otherwise it runs rough.

I use shell V power when I can, dont know if its just in my head but feels smoother more power, plus its easy with the app.
On another note one time I phone Rover service line with an issue and the first thing they asked was do I use supermarket fuel.

Was that so you could communicate with smoke signals?

That was just a bonus. The real reason was to add some of the lubricating properties that were removed from diesel after those engines were designed.

I sometimes use branded and other times supermarket, especially when returning home I top up lpg and diesel at the local Asda. Occasionally put some Shell v power in and it does feel smoother but maybe it’s psychological.
I put super in my old cars as the ethanol content is sometimes lower and apparently it has a longer shelf life.

That was just a bonus. The real reason was to add some of the lubricating properties that were removed from diesel after those engines were designed.

I use Activ8 Lubricants in all my engine's, once out of warranty. Having put it into an old works van quite a number of years ago with v high mileage, and then got 5mph added to the top speed, and 2 - 3 mpg more from the fuel, I swear by it. Makes a noisy engine quieter too, so particularly good for diesels.

Not sure if a link is allowed, but you can google it.

PS. My TR is still running on it's original leaded engine 52 years later, with good compressions and oil pressures. It's had Activ8 Lubricants in for the last 20+ years.

Last edited:
When travelling we fill up once a week.
Once a month I will use premium diesel.

Generally use supermarket diesel but when I am close to Costco I fill up with premium, I think the premium gives slightly better performance as the engine seems a little more reponsive.

I had a Fiat Doblo for 7 years. Each time I put standard French diesel in on the first French fill the engine would go into limp mode after a few hours of running on this French diesel. Topped up and filled up subsequently with Shell V Power and voila, within the first hour or so the engine would come out of limp mode and start running normally. This happened on three separate occasions. On the 4th French and subsequent French visits I only ever premium diesel.

I was told French standard diesel contains a higher proportion of biomass diesel when compared to U.K. diesel. French premium diesel contains hardly any if no biomass. Now this may be right or wrong but my suspicion is there is something afoot here to keep emissions down. Premium diesel may well be less environmentally friendly but I never have limp mode issues with it.

When motorhoming in Spain I use premium diesel 100% of the time, normally Repsol, as price premium in Spain is tiny and diesel is cheap anyway.

When in France probably every 4th tank with premium. We have a Fiat based MH and yet to have a limp mode issue so maybe what I described above was a Fiat Doblo thing.

It may be psychological but I do sense I get marginally more MPG when in cruise control on the motorways when using premium. Have to monitor the trip computer more closely in future!

Last edited:
I go to Costco for my diesel, and they only sell premium currently at £1.17.7 a litre.
I have found my engine runs better and I get a couple of miles more per gallon also.
I was once told that every fourth refill should be premium as it helps your engine.
You do need to be a member to buy fuel from them.

Last edited:
After a problem with a top up of duff deisel from a motorway service station, I decided to compare my usual 'any deisel will do' with V Power, after a couple of thousand miles of comparing the two I could find definite differance.

28 sec heating oil,20 ltrs with 1.5 ltrs of cooking oil works well and cleans the injectors,keep you eye out for the excise men ;)

More or less MPG is marginal..
Extra mpg is probably wiped or negated out by extra cost
Engine health and performance more important (IMO)

At Costco premium is cheaper than normal from elsewhere.
I reckon I save about £15 a month on fuel, the membership is £24 plus VAT a year.
And that gets you two cards.

Reactions: Jus

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back