Pay-per-mile' road tax on the way

Not sure how difficult it might be.

Can you live in a caravan on your own land in Scotland?

Where can you live in a caravan permanently? You can live in a caravan permanently either on your own land (subject to planning permission), private land with the permission of the land owner (subject to planning permission), or at residential caravan sites.

Not sure how difficult it might be.

Can you live in a caravan on your own land in Scotland?

Where can you live in a caravan permanently? You can live in a caravan permanently either on your own land (subject to planning permission), private land with the permission of the land owner (subject to planning permission), or at residential caravan sites.

It's tricky Kev as the powers that be might deem that you are saving money or - dare I say it - enjoying your life.

I think the Scots are quite strict about their islands though as quite a few people who have bought them have found out.

It's tricky Kev as the powers that be might deem that you are saving money or - dare I say it - enjoying your life.

I think the Scots are quite strict about their islands though as quite a few people who have bought them have found out.
An actual build would be difficult, but I'd not give tuppence for one you couldn't live on in a parkhome.

There's a firm we visited in East Kilbride twice with a view to buying a forest and living in it, but we couldn't make the numbers work and Liz was too tied to Leeds and family etc so we didn't get as far as PP but they seemed to think it wasn't a problem but this was around 2009.

They would still make you take it down though Neil if anybody grassed you up. :(
You just got to live there for 12 years in plain site Rob :)

If you pick the right spot up top of Scotland you should have a decent chance of avoiding any council eyes. If it’s a wood some sort of cabin is permitted anyway, tool storage type of thing, it’s living there full time that’s the issue, you would get 28 days anyway. You got enough family to plot it into 13 plots then tow a showman’s van to e different plot every 28 days?

An actual build would be difficult, but I'd not give tuppence for one you couldn't live on in a parkhome.

There's a firm we visited in East Kilbride twice with a view to buying a forest and living in it, but we couldn't make the numbers work and Liz was too tied to Leeds and family etc so we didn't get as far as PP but they seemed to think it wasn't a problem but this was around 2009.

I've looked into buying Woodland Kev and in fact I know two members of this forum who did exactly that. I was put off by the fact that it would be nigh on impossible to get PP to build anything but a shelter.

However that was probably 5 years ago and things may have changed. There are some funny laws about (or so I believe) that you can maybe build a stable or large Chicken House (yeuch!) and after 7 years of having such a building on the land it's easier to get PP - but I wouldn't swear to that.

Maybe Vernon @Firefox may be able to advise?

I've looked into buying Woodland Kev and in fact I know two members of this forum who did exactly that. I was put off by the fact that it would be nigh on impossible to get PP to build anything but a shelter.

However that was probably 5 years ago and things may have changed. There are some funny laws about (or so I believe) that you can maybe build a stable or large Chicken House (yeuch!) and after 7 years of having such a building on the land it's easier to get PP - but I wouldn't swear to that.

Maybe Vernon @Firefox may be able to advise?
If it’s a hardwood area then you can get permission to stay if you make charcoal Rob. Good money in it too I believe but of course it would involve work and most probably a bit of hard work lol.

I don’t know if it’s same rules in Scotland as it is in England and Wales. My posts have been a bit of fun but you would need to do some proper research then decide I reckon. My idea was to buy an abandoned house in the Highlands and put a static or cabin on the ground. That went out the window after Caz was seriously ill a few years ago, kids couldn’t get to visit her in Macclesfield general with the snow and Highlands would be a lot harder. Plus prices have gone ballistic up there since Covid, I waited too long

Again no pub Terry but the price is nice although it will go for a lot more.

What a great place that would be to live near Crinan. A short boat ride across the bay and up the canal there's sure to be a pub somewhere?
Aye, lovely island, near Ardfern too. You could give up the pub Rob, and to compensate, take up wild Swimming 🏊‍♂️👍

If it’s a hardwood area then you can get permission to stay if you make charcoal Rob. Good money in it too I believe but of course it would involve work and most probably a bit of hard work lol.

I don’t know if it’s same rules in Scotland as it is in England and Wales. My posts have been a bit of fun but you would need to do some proper research then decide I reckon. My idea was to buy an abandoned house in the Highlands and put a static or cabin on the ground. That went out the window after Caz was seriously ill a few years ago, kids couldn’t get to visit her in Macclesfield general with the snow and Highlands would be a lot harder. Plus prices have gone ballistic up there since Covid, I waited too long

In my case it's a pipe dream Neil. Although it would be idyllic there are reasons why I can't leave the area where we live now and in reality I love my social life and would miss that immensely.

My mates seem quite keen for me to go for it though. :(

Both me and Caz were set on it at one point Rob, a static or cabin off grid in the middle of nowhere was out dream. You don’t really think about what happens if you are seriously ill though until something forces you to. If I end up living longest I will be a pikey without a doubt, be like that guy in Alaska, they will discover a van with a long dead body in the middle of nowhere lol

Both me and Caz were set on it at one point Rob, a static or cabin off grid in the middle of nowhere was out dream. You don’t really think about what happens if you are seriously ill though until something forces you to. If I end up living longest I will be a pikey without a doubt, be like that guy in Alaska, they will discover a van with a long dead body in the middle of nowhere lol

If I outlive Julie I will probably end up living on a boat somewhere Neil.

Boats are my biggest passion but unfortunately Julie can't go on them anymore. :(

I’d love to know how they’re going to rip us off with this one - what if I do 500 miles to the tunnel , 5000 miles in Europe then 500 miles from the tunnel home , how are they going to bill you ?

Hopefully if you do 500 miles to the tunnel , 5000 miles in Europe then 500 miles from the tunnel home they will not bill me at all !

I like to help out when I can, but I'm not repaired to pay for your trips !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:242)

barryd, mark61, Tonybvi, Tim120, 1807truckman, ricc, Boris7, korky, Firefox, Jo001, NSY, number14, Fazerloz, Robmac, chrishunter, DTF, Moonraker 2, st3v3, Alberto, smg, hmssnake, jagmanx, Bigshug, runnach, TeamRienza, Canalsman, trevskoda, 1 Cup, wildebus, alwaysared, Rod, HurricaneSmith, amcjam, alcam, Nabsim, jeanette, The Jacks, RichardHelen262, campervanannie, Wooie1958, andyjanet, clarkpeacock, Tartarus, GMJ, calvo, ajb70, Del668, Herbenny, guerdeval, Doigy, caledonia, Dezi, Greengrass, Fisherman, Bouydog, myvanwy, CHAIRMAN, Livotlout, gypo, Heppy, AllanD, Okta, Neckender, Makzine, jeffmossy, McHazy, witzend, peejay, Norfolk NewBoy, belbri, lthoel2, iampatman, bdastu, Wheelie, Pudsey Bear, ton27, TJBi, Topmast, mariesnowgoose, MartinFife, Ex Greeny, saxonborg, ewen, rugbyken, Tezza33, oppy, Debroos, rustydog, r4dent, GeoffL, jann, JVG, V1nny, jacquigem, seagoon, ironman, DavieShrew, molly 2, merl, exwindsurfer, shortcircuit, Drover, s4x4c, Benylin, longtoedsloth, aross, terrywolf, Carrerasax, trixie88, GinaRon, slider69r, REC, kingfisher1, Peisinoe, liz, nitram, GeorgeS, Lefty, vintageb3, Nigel L, marchie, grobpilot, mick n jules, UROLINER, davep10000, horace, ChrisInNotts, Clunegapyears, vtwinner, MartinCurren, Ayuplad, Forcesixwindy, davef, linda1960, groyne, Andys, campingfun, Ken Parsons, hamsterberg27, adrianlle, linkshouse, barrypat, Biggarmac, Talbot, AndyJL, Admin, Rumour, scoobydiver, davidm, jas900, hayhiker, kclink, CleverTrevorUK, winks, helmit, Mick67, lefty107, Chip, Victor, Steve and Julie, 955itriple, landie50, regnarts, robertd, AnniePhoo, EllieM, tripper, Caz, Mothership, Owen M, yorkslass, Graham B, Monkeybrand, TerryD, Sue Paskins, Mark135, Team ST, Walkingmox, jaybeeonline, BarryNo1, Thistle, Mickrick, Hogweed, Hobie, Rob H, SCRUMPY BOY, Rutaria, PopesOnTour, Veloman, Polar Bear, Harrytherid, Alun100, Nickrock, Gerti58, Sean, VandA, Vatsmith, wrp, Lib, mikejay, mike v, roadroamer, popeye1958, flying kipper, Servo, Bat21, colinm, Glass man, Martin P, WingNut, mygrassisblue, Tim1953, Motoroamer, Murgzie, Maguika1, MrU, SimonM, adriandp, rambrose, NudeJude, Weefifer, jonc, TeamPuffin, alca, rjmurchie, Greytop, Yukob, reiverlad, bnb080, gripseven, chas142, Jiwawa, Gasdave, big tom, gabby82, Winterskp, agm62, philstoke, MikeRS, GeordieBoy, geordy paul, Alfie,
Back