Pay-per-mile' road tax on the way

Michelle might have something to say about that, especially if he went out in his wellies and came back with a smile on his face, dunno if he has any We**h blood in him, but he does live in North Yorkshire.

Nah! All that stringless tennis racket stuff is for the Taffies! :D

All except China who are aggressively looking at other countries to build their BVD's. Turkey has just signed a 1.5 billion pound deal with them. China will sell them at a cheap rate and manufacture them in their millions.
They will be worthless after two years but because they have become the dominant EV market you will be left with no alternative but to buy the same old crap time and time again.
We are not that far off the above scenario but it is coming.

Yes, the US, UK and some EU countries will apply tariffs but China is aligning itself with much larger populations and without a shadow of a doubt will be the dominant force in the world within 30 years.
Maybe maybe knot they way things are going in the east.
atomic bomb.jpg

Of course he is a bit posh too so it would be black tights with the seam up the back and sling back wellies, maybe with chaps to prevent blowback.

Not necessarily a bad thing if say the average mileage 10k? costs about £200 or equivalent for your vehicle. Only do 2k miles a year... then you only pay £40. Do 20k then you pay £400. Usage related, why not?

But beware stealth increase. If 10k miles cost £400 then it's time to protest!
Not necessarily bad but if you have no choice on your mileage such as rural and having to drive miles to shop, doc etc or having to drive miles to work...

Simply put road tax on EV’s I have to pay £410 p.a. Anyway as the car was more than £40k

Already planned.

From 1 April 2025

Electric and low emission cars registered on or after 1 April 2025
You will need to pay the lowest first year rate of vehicle tax (which applies to vehicles with CO2 emissions 1 to 50g/km).
From the second tax payment onwards, these vehicles will pay the standard rate. This is £190 for 2024 but is subject to change for 2025.

Electric and low emission cars registered between 1 April 2017 and 31 March 2025
You will pay the standard rate. This is £190 for 2024 but is subject to change for 2025.

Electric and low emission cars registered between 1 March 2001 and 31 March 2017
These vehicles will move to the first band that has a VED value. This is £20 for 2024 but is subject to change for 2025.

So all those who bought into the electric hype have been conned once again.
Not really. Well I certainly wasn't.

It was announced in the Autumn 2022 budget and I bought my EV in Jan 2023 so I knew it was going to happen.

My EV is a 5 seat SUV with the equivalent of over 250 bhp so it isn't an eco-mobile, but fuel costs under 9p mile.
It can cost even less because I can fill at any main dealer for free!

With diesel at £1.60 a litre (£7.27 per gallon) I would have to get over 80 mpg to match this.

Last edited:
Electric vehicle sales actually fell last Month (retail sales) and small increase to business sales ,just saying.

Electric vehicle sales actually fell last Month (retail sales) and small increase to business sales ,just saying.
The secret is to cherry pick what data you choose to quote.

Here is a selection that proves EV sales are on the up.

SMMT - new car (not all vehicle) registrations (not sales) for June 2024 (last month) compared to June 2023.

Electric vehicle sales and market share up for all sub categrories (EV/ PHEV/ HEV)
Fossil fuel vehicle sales and market share down for all sub categrories (Petrol / Diesel)

Just saying.

Not really. Well I certainly wasn't.

It was announced in the Autumn 2022 budget and I bought my EV in Jan 2023 so I knew it was going to happen.

My EV is a 5 seat SUV with the equivalent of over 250 bhp so it isn't an eco-mobile, but fuel costs under 9p mile.
It can cost even less because I can fill at any main dealer for free!

With diesel at £1.60 a litre (£7.27 per gallon) I would have to get over 80 mpg to match this.
Yes but at what cost to both you and the inviroment, you will need to cross the 11 year cycle or 130th miles just to break even, then there is the new price and second hand value.?

So there two !
Nobody (as far as I know) said that.
I suspect the pay per mile will be as well as the VED.
on top of 20% from new.. what happened to 17.5 % ho ! theY made it easier for the most of the population rounded it up to 20% and put it across the board.

All these new government departments , what's the cost of the printing on them. Leaflets, note pads and headed paper ?. But you don't own your vehicle.

So we have the BBC saying one thing, and SMMT who specialize in the UK car market saying another.

Like I said depends on which data set you use (did the BBC give a source?).
Yes but I wasn’t really paying attention as I have no interest in cars in general but they definitely quoted official figures

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:241)

barryd, mark61, Tonybvi, Tim120, 1807truckman, ricc, Boris7, korky, Firefox, Jo001, NSY, number14, Fazerloz, Robmac, chrishunter, DTF, Moonraker 2, st3v3, Alberto, smg, hmssnake, jagmanx, Bigshug, runnach, TeamRienza, Canalsman, trevskoda, 1 Cup, wildebus, alwaysared, Rod, HurricaneSmith, amcjam, alcam, Nabsim, jeanette, The Jacks, RichardHelen262, campervanannie, Wooie1958, andyjanet, clarkpeacock, Tartarus, GMJ, calvo, ajb70, Del668, Herbenny, guerdeval, Doigy, caledonia, Dezi, Greengrass, Fisherman, Bouydog, myvanwy, CHAIRMAN, Livotlout, gypo, Heppy, AllanD, Okta, Neckender, Makzine, jeffmossy, McHazy, witzend, peejay, Norfolk NewBoy, belbri, lthoel2, iampatman, bdastu, Wheelie, Pudsey Bear, ton27, TJBi, Topmast, mariesnowgoose, MartinFife, Ex Greeny, saxonborg, ewen, rugbyken, Tezza33, oppy, Debroos, rustydog, r4dent, GeoffL, jann, JVG, V1nny, jacquigem, seagoon, ironman, DavieShrew, molly 2, merl, exwindsurfer, shortcircuit, Drover, s4x4c, Benylin, longtoedsloth, aross, terrywolf, Carrerasax, trixie88, GinaRon, slider69r, REC, kingfisher1, Peisinoe, liz, nitram, GeorgeS, Lefty, vintageb3, Nigel L, marchie, grobpilot, mick n jules, UROLINER, davep10000, horace, ChrisInNotts, Clunegapyears, vtwinner, MartinCurren, Ayuplad, Forcesixwindy, davef, linda1960, groyne, Andys, campingfun, Ken Parsons, hamsterberg27, adrianlle, linkshouse, barrypat, Biggarmac, Talbot, AndyJL, Admin, Rumour, scoobydiver, davidm, jas900, hayhiker, kclink, CleverTrevorUK, winks, helmit, Mick67, lefty107, Chip, Victor, Steve and Julie, 955itriple, landie50, regnarts, robertd, AnniePhoo, EllieM, tripper, Caz, Mothership, Owen M, yorkslass, Graham B, Monkeybrand, TerryD, Sue Paskins, Mark135, Team ST, Walkingmox, jaybeeonline, BarryNo1, Thistle, Mickrick, Hogweed, Hobie, Rob H, SCRUMPY BOY, Rutaria, PopesOnTour, Veloman, Polar Bear, Harrytherid, Alun100, Nickrock, Gerti58, Sean, VandA, Vatsmith, wrp, Lib, mikejay, mike v, roadroamer, popeye1958, flying kipper, Servo, Bat21, colinm, Glass man, Martin P, WingNut, mygrassisblue, Tim1953, Motoroamer, Murgzie, Maguika1, MrU, SimonM, adriandp, rambrose, NudeJude, Weefifer, jonc, TeamPuffin, alca, rjmurchie, Greytop, Yukob, reiverlad, bnb080, gripseven, chas142, Jiwawa, Gasdave, big tom, gabby82, Winterskp, agm62, philstoke, MikeRS, GeordieBoy, geordy paul,
Back