Pay-per-mile' road tax on the way

Road users do get stung in the UK, no doubt about it It's just our taxation model, rightly or wrongly.

The big difference often quoted is between us and the USA is we get free health care and pay for fuel ⛽️ They get cheap fuel and pay for heathcare.

The two things don't equate for many people, but that's what we have come to expect.

Given the choice, I'd rather have free health care personally. But I can see it's not great for some.
Since when was health care free in this country ?
I've been paying for it for over 45 years when I started work with National Insurance Contributions

Since when was health care free in this country ?
I've been paying for it for over 45 years when I started work with National Insurance Contributions
Some good news ! If you've been working for over 45 years you must be nearing state pension age.

You do not pay National Insurance after you reach State Pension age - unless you're self-employed and pay Class 4 contributions. You stop paying Class 4 contributions at the end of the tax year in which you reach State Pension age.

A word to the wise. It is up to you to check that your employer has stopped taking the contributions. However, you can get a refund of overpayments, again it is your responsibility to claim the refund.

Last edited:
Was offered a island with a old church on it in Lough erne outside enniskillen town for 20 grand, ask the not then wife what she though, it did not happen. :(

Why do so many of you want to go and live on a remote island way up north in the middle of nowhere? Think about it! No pubs, no internet (Starlink maybe), no pie shops, you bikers will get bored, Dark half the year, shite weather 11 months of the year.

A couple in our village married for decades moved to Skye which is hardly remote. They lasted six months and got divorced, she moved back to the village here and shacked up with one of my neighbours. :D

I always thought tax the fuel, why because the old dear up the road who only goes to shops bank for pension etc maybe does 5/10 miles a week, but fred the sales man travels maybe 300miles a day or more should stump up, fuel tax is the way for now and maybe a fixed tax on electric cars untill this is all sorted out up the line.
Im a good boy Phil dont switch me off. :eek: :)

All except China who are aggressively looking at other countries to build their BVD's. Turkey has just signed a 1.5 billion pound deal with them. China will sell them at a cheap rate and manufacture them in their millions.
They will be worthless after two years but because they have become the dominant EV market you will be left with no alternative but to buy the same old crap time and time again.
We are not that far off the above scenario but it is coming.

Yes, the US, UK and some EU countries will apply tariffs but China is aligning itself with much larger populations and without a shadow of a doubt will be the dominant force in the world within 30 years.
what is a BVD Ral?

If I outlive Julie I will probably end up living on a boat somewhere Neil.

Boats are my biggest passion but unfortunately Julie can't go on them anymore. :(
I have the same problem Rob and she is called Julie too. Too keen on gardening to go anywhere, mine.

I have the same problem Rob and she is called Julie too. Too keen on gardening to go anywhere, mine.

My Julie can't go on boats due to Meniere's disease Harry, as well as other illnesses but she also loves her gardening.

It does mean that I can keep a small boat for myself as a bolthole though, I'm looking around for one at the moment. :)

My Julie can't go on boats due to Meniere's disease Harry, as well as other illnesses but she also loves her gardening.

It does mean that I can keep a small boat for myself as a bolthole though, I'm looking around for one at the moment. :)
I stopped building and owning boats a long time ago but would love a cruising Ketch. There is a Finnish one around based on a sail fishing boat that I often go to sleep thinking about. I am, however, 6 years older than my Julie so I am unlikely to be able. Julie has no specific diseases but arthritis makes it near impossible for her on anything other than firm ground. I might struggle too now.

Build Your Dreams (BYD) is one of China's largest manufacturers along with MG, NIO and ORA. They are manufacturing in the tens of millions with the capacity to ramp up production still further.
Don't be surprised if Temu start offering cars for sale at super cheap prices. May not be as daft as it sounds?

Build Your Dreams (BYD) is one of China's largest manufacturers along with MG, NIO and ORA. They are manufacturing in the tens of millions with the capacity to ramp up production still further.
Don't be surprised if Temu start offering cars for sale at super cheap prices. May not be as daft as it sounds?

Never heard of BYD Barry will be interesting to see what the quality is like.

Road pricing is inevitable imho, I am surprised it hasn’t been introduced already in certain parts of the country and may well have been a far fairer system than the guilty until you prove yourself innocent scam congestion charging has become.

Fuel Duty and VED had fed into direct taxation for several years now it certainly isn’t used to solely maintain the roads so they certainly need to do something to increase the general taxation revenue.

Despite the risks there’s a staggering amount of VED evasion out there some isn’t even recorded officially by the DVLA like people abusing vehicles that were previously VED exempt e.g. ex Ambulances.

A fair way to introduce road pricing would be as a direct replacement of VED but my gut feeling is it will be an additional charge with variable pricing for location time of day vehicle type etc.

As for EVs not paying VED that is due to change next April with all but the oldest EVs included.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:242)

barryd, mark61, Tonybvi, Tim120, 1807truckman, ricc, Boris7, korky, Firefox, Jo001, NSY, number14, Fazerloz, Robmac, chrishunter, DTF, Moonraker 2, st3v3, Alberto, smg, hmssnake, jagmanx, Bigshug, runnach, TeamRienza, Canalsman, trevskoda, 1 Cup, wildebus, alwaysared, Rod, HurricaneSmith, amcjam, alcam, Nabsim, jeanette, The Jacks, RichardHelen262, campervanannie, Wooie1958, andyjanet, clarkpeacock, Tartarus, GMJ, calvo, ajb70, Del668, Herbenny, guerdeval, Doigy, caledonia, Dezi, Greengrass, Fisherman, Bouydog, myvanwy, CHAIRMAN, Livotlout, gypo, Heppy, AllanD, Okta, Neckender, Makzine, jeffmossy, McHazy, witzend, peejay, Norfolk NewBoy, belbri, lthoel2, iampatman, bdastu, Wheelie, Pudsey Bear, ton27, TJBi, Topmast, mariesnowgoose, MartinFife, Ex Greeny, saxonborg, ewen, rugbyken, Tezza33, oppy, Debroos, rustydog, r4dent, GeoffL, jann, JVG, V1nny, jacquigem, seagoon, ironman, DavieShrew, molly 2, merl, exwindsurfer, shortcircuit, Drover, s4x4c, Benylin, longtoedsloth, aross, terrywolf, Carrerasax, trixie88, GinaRon, slider69r, REC, kingfisher1, Peisinoe, liz, nitram, GeorgeS, Lefty, vintageb3, Nigel L, marchie, grobpilot, mick n jules, UROLINER, davep10000, horace, ChrisInNotts, Clunegapyears, vtwinner, MartinCurren, Ayuplad, Forcesixwindy, davef, linda1960, groyne, Andys, campingfun, Ken Parsons, hamsterberg27, adrianlle, linkshouse, barrypat, Biggarmac, Talbot, AndyJL, Admin, Rumour, scoobydiver, davidm, jas900, hayhiker, kclink, CleverTrevorUK, winks, helmit, Mick67, lefty107, Chip, Victor, Steve and Julie, 955itriple, landie50, regnarts, robertd, AnniePhoo, EllieM, tripper, Caz, Mothership, Owen M, yorkslass, Graham B, Monkeybrand, TerryD, Sue Paskins, Mark135, Team ST, Walkingmox, jaybeeonline, BarryNo1, Thistle, Mickrick, Hogweed, Hobie, Rob H, SCRUMPY BOY, Rutaria, PopesOnTour, Veloman, Polar Bear, Harrytherid, Alun100, Nickrock, Gerti58, Sean, VandA, Vatsmith, wrp, Lib, mikejay, mike v, roadroamer, popeye1958, flying kipper, Servo, Bat21, colinm, Glass man, Martin P, WingNut, mygrassisblue, Tim1953, Motoroamer, Murgzie, Maguika1, MrU, SimonM, adriandp, rambrose, NudeJude, Weefifer, jonc, TeamPuffin, alca, rjmurchie, Greytop, Yukob, reiverlad, bnb080, gripseven, chas142, Jiwawa, Gasdave, big tom, gabby82, Winterskp, agm62, philstoke, MikeRS, GeordieBoy, geordy paul, Alfie,
Back