Morocco Bound

Essaouira found itself on the tourist trail after the hippies 'found it'
in the 60s.
One or two of the quayside open fish restaurants have an effective low level
extortion ruse, or at least used to, tourist asks price for a fish meal and restaurateur
writes price in biro on his hand, you have the meal, go to pay expecting 50 Dhms
he holds out his hand it shows 150 Dhms. Try arguing and a table
with 7 or 8 of his mates start getting menacing. Now that, might make someone
find a visit to Essaouira disappointing lol.

Essaouira found itself on the tourist trail after the hippies 'found it'
in the 60s.
One or two of the quayside open fish restaurants have an effective low level
extortion ruse, or at least used to, tourist asks price for a fish meal and restaurateur
writes price in biro on his hand, you have the meal, go to pay expecting 50 Dhms
he holds out his hand it shows 150 Dhms. Try arguing and a table
with 7 or 8 of his mates start getting menacing. Now that, might make someone
find a visit to Essaouira disappointing lol.
That’s something I would quite expect to happen there , probably more often than you would think.. I’m glad we went though, I’ll probably be saying exactly the same thing about Marrakesh 😢 lol

look out for tortoises kaouki usually as loads running across the roads etc
heres some from one of our trips

Morocco 2008-2009 346.jpg
Morocco 2008-2009 306.jpg
Morocco 2008-2009 316.jpg
Morocco 2008-2009 305.jpg

Oualidia is a very relaxing place, looks like it could be quite busy in the summer months has a very holiday feeling. Walked through the town earlier today lots of people chilling in cafes etc. The beach and lagoon are very pretty and are lots of fishermen selling fish from mopeds. Few pics of town couldn’t resist the building site guys hand digging footings! Loved the ducks for sale and of course a beach sunset, I’m sure we’ll be back.

View attachment 74091View attachment 74092View attachment 74093View attachment 74094View attachment 74095
What do moped fish taste like.
Love the pics.

you just see the back end of my trailer .
theres a side view on my avatar.
actually that was at the water fill point up the iminiki valley just behind auorira or banana village as its known .lovely valley and the river runs through makes a good clothes washing place etc . and a deep bit for swimming etc . can get busy on a sunday as locals use it as well. but all friendly.
its always worth sneaking around alot of the villages as the main roads usually take you by and not see the good places .
we always have a look up tracks etc maybe on m,bikes first then the trucks . many villages are like going home for us the locals are always so friendly.

If going into a town do try and get a tour guide,this way you will be safe,do wear oldish cloths/shoes to blend in ,keep some crayons etc to hand to kids.

Yes of course. Some lollies too, and pens. And some new clothes and what about term fees. But why not go the full Monte and give them all a nice backpack and mountain bike so they don't keep asking me.

Try Turkey instead. They do it the other way around and give the tourists little gifts

Yes of course. Some lollies too, and pens. And some new clothes and what about term fees. But why not go the full Monte and give them all a nice backpack and mountain bike so they don't keep asking me.

Try Turkey instead. They do it the other way around and give the tourists little gifts

Possibly a touch cynical comment! But I think I know exactly what the practical
implications are of what you state. At the lowest level the shepherd kids can be inclined
to throw stones at your windscreen and/or stand blocking the road if you don't stop.
Tough if you've forgotten to carry scriptos or bonbons, or perhaps you don't
go along with the idea of being intimidated. Can't really blame the kids, or
the notion that some French possess, in their blaming mainly the affluent German
tourists over the years!

Perfect here,about 25deg.almost full sun, just got back from beach where we had some nice lunch and watch the surfers,oh and coffee & crepe for aft now going to have a couple of cold beers. The place is so chilled going to stay another day 👍

Left Kaouki this morning and headed south to Imsouane beach where we’ve stopped at a site on top of the cliffs overlooking the sea. There are about half a dozen vans here so plenty of space and the village literally a five minute walk. Been into Village and seems to have a really layed back vibe, plenty of surfers kicking around and look like some good food places all selling fresh local fish. Looks like we might have an extra night here too? 👍

DC131605-8026-402F-9FB4-D166A57D7BD4.jpeg
BB9C16A4-83AC-46CB-BB03-2B1F69A4D77B.jpeg
3BF39C54-36C8-434F-9A23-50ACFCCD9AF4.jpeg
4A821340-3D2D-4187-A45D-A4F8F8722C01.jpeg
CFC9940C-7EA9-4CF6-B52D-EDE62D532755.jpeg
DAB5CE4B-D134-4182-ACAC-48266968227A.jpeg

shame its not january as then if your lucky you would see enormous killer whales swimming past near killer point just near tagga .
but keep your eyes open with weather changes you might get a view.
you can get abit addicted to that coast.
but soon you will be touring inland and finding other amazing things to watch.
desert foxes . the camels , goat herds etc etc all amazing to see.
never mind keep looking out for water stops etc. they are all over the place really.

So this morning we left Imousane and headed Down the coast through some amazing coastline. We also decided to drive through Tagahzoute instead of bypassing, looks like they have got a good tourist trade going on as all apartments, houses and hotels going up everywhere and the place seemed a lot cleaner and greener and they are building a new golf course. Stopped at supermarket in Agadir for a stock up and headed further down to Tiznit. Had a good walk round the walled town but didn’t seem to be much to see here unless I’m missing anything? Anyway, took a few pics of one of the entry points through the wall and a pottery stall. Heading tomorrow morning to Sidi Ifni so will post more then.Temperature is up, got to 33 degrees this afternoon 😅

Attachments

• A4BAD6F5-85DC-46ED-96CD-F8447919139E.jpeg
    A4BAD6F5-85DC-46ED-96CD-F8447919139E.jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 129
  • B0778EB4-161C-48EE-85D0-FF7B3AE4F394.jpeg
    B0778EB4-161C-48EE-85D0-FF7B3AE4F394.jpeg
    545.5 KB · Views: 146
  • FE4911EB-E9A4-4267-8795-6538B1804947.jpeg
    FE4911EB-E9A4-4267-8795-6538B1804947.jpeg
    498 KB · Views: 136
when you get to aglou plage just a bit further south from there was /is a restaurant on the right hand side . they had a campsite behind it . under an arch way.
great family run place . could just get my mini artic through the arch. .
ideal for that cheap camp but safe.
used to go there when i had my vwt2 camper before the artic as well.
did almost buy a house just past the restaurant. mind glad i didnt later divorce etc it would have been awkward.
but lots fun still for you along that coast, remember ever turn off to the sea take . there,s some great beaches and places to stop.
if you go further down at tarfaya is a great museum about antoine de saint exupery and the post to america etc . well worth a visit.
have a good one.

We didn’t think much of Tiznit either, bugger all there.
Aglou Plage is good OK to wild camp back of the beach. We normally stay here for a couple of days prior to heading for Tafraoute.

when you get to aglou plage just a bit further south from there was /is a restaurant on the right hand side . they had a campsite behind it . under an arch way.
great family run place . could just get my mini artic through the arch. .
ideal for that cheap camp but safe.
used to go there when i had my vwt2 camper before the artic as well.
did almost buy a house just past the restaurant. mind glad i didnt later divorce etc it would have been awkward.
but lots fun still for you along that coast, remember ever turn off to the sea take . there,s some great beaches and places to stop.
if you go further down at tarfaya is a great museum about antoine de saint exupery and the post to america etc . well worth a visit.
have a good one.
Thanks Alan, was thinking of maybe taking a couple of more nights by the ocean, can’t beat it,I will keep an eye open for that spot. 👍

me and Tel off for an adventure . leaving Chefchaouen on the harley. behind is another mate's bedford which i fitted out on the 'camping ' at Taghazoute . i fitted out a 30 yr old German army merc ambo with less than 2000miles on it for the guy o the right ,he still drives it most days on his farm in Zimbabwe. if VW Alan recognises anyone it might be Don , the beard on the left. interesting timesView attachment 74212
Blimey, that looks a while back going by the black and white pic.!! Must say you look a bit like Hopper in Easy Rider. Lol. Good old times though I bet? 👍

We didn’t think much of Tiznit either, bugger all there.
Aglou Plage is good OK to wild camp back of the beach. We normally stay here for a couple of days prior to heading for Tafraoute.
Yep, we walked the whole way round waiting to see something, all round the old part of the town but nothing!! Tafraoute is where we will head for after the next couple of days. Definitely want to get a few days wilding in, I must admit there’s not many doing it though I think police have definitely clamped down on it recently? I reckon the camp sites are probably in on it and are giving the police a back hander so they move them onto their sites...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back