Morocco Bound

its a bit out of season really .
it starts to get busier in november december.
mind many go after newyear.
we used to like crossing about first week in december
have 6 weeks in spain then 12 weeks morocco then 6 weeks spain portugal or just spain.
depending on the weather might do spain portugal first . never planned just as we felt at the time.
lately just spain but avoid the tourist areas and have a great time searching places out .

The hotel overlooking the beach at Aglou Plage charges 20dh to stay on the front.
Also, cassettes can be emptied & water replenished, a great place to chill out.
DB9DBF95-E51B-4035-ADAE-1288B4DE9EF4.jpeg
2CB8D31E-9EA6-4ED4-B269-F1CCB358608E.jpeg
4AD98B38-110C-4A07-92F5-FCF86862F0E5.jpeg

its a bit out of season really .
it starts to get busier in november december.
mind many go after newyear.
we used to like crossing about first week in december
have 6 weeks in spain then 12 weeks morocco then 6 weeks spain portugal or just spain.
depending on the weather might do spain portugal first . never planned just as we felt at the time.
lately just spain but avoid the tourist areas and have a great time searching places out .
It does seem fairly quiet to be honest which isn’t a bad thing really. I think we passed the restaurant you were talking about in Aglou Plage, was about a mile south on right hand side now looks like a cafe and small camp site.

Last edited:
It does seem fairly quiet to be honest which isn’t a bad thing really. I think we passed the restaurant you were talking about in Aglou Plage, was about a mile south on right hand side now looks like a cafe and small camp site.
that sounds like you found it.
its almost or was like a private campsite.
keep your eyes open though that coast can get better all the time.
then you go inland and the adventure carries on.
its the places between the tourist spots that give the most.
just slow slow and even slower , so much to see.

Yesterday morning we left Sidi Ifni on a bit of a windy mountain road with some spectacular views over the Anti Atlas. We were heading for Tafraoute thinking maybe 3 hours, almost 5 hours later we arrived to this special little village with stunning mountain scenery 360 degrees. This morning headed for the painted rocks close by so arrived, parked up and soaked up the absolute stillness and silence, we were the only ones there. From memory reading up on these rocks they were painted by a guy I think in the 80’s It certainly looks like they have been painted over again multicoloured as opposed to light blue. Anyway, had a cuppa there then headed off again through the mountains all the way to Taroudant which is where we are now parked up in a car park by the City wall. After walking almost every street in the very bustling medina, souk and big busy square would recommend a visit. So have just arrived back to van for a well deserved G&T.

If you're in for a bit of mountain driving then if heading to Marrakesh
could go via the Tizi n'Tichka in the High Atlas, great winding drive, the highest
mountain pass in north Africa. Should be snow free road October.

You didn’t stay long in Tafraoute, we had trouble getting out of the place.
We wild camped in the Almond Valley where
We met some guys from Motorhome Fun who were staying there for months.
In Taroudant you can wild camp under the ramparts outside the Kasbah, a great place, we stayed a week before moving on to Ouarzazate.
8017340C-FD09-4715-8C33-477ADB75CC37.jpeg

If you're in for a bit of mountain driving then if heading to Marrakesh
could go via the Tizi n'Tichka in the High Atlas, great winding drive, the highest
mountain pass in north Africa. Should be snow free road October.
Yes we’ve just decided our route to Marrakesh last night and as I don’t mind the sheer drops and windy mountain passes my wife’s not so keen . I was also thinking about my poor old 30 year old Merc’s engine screaming uphill and his poor breaks overheating 🥵 So we’ve decided to take the easy route up there. I did read somewhere that the route you mention has some stunning scenery though.

You didn’t stay long in Tafraoute, we had trouble getting out of the place.
We wild camped in the Almond Valley where
We met some guys from Motorhome Fun who were staying there for months.
In Taroudant you can wild camp under the ramparts outside the Kasbah, a great place, we stayed a week before moving on to Ouarzazate.View attachment 74324
Hi Mike, yes I know we didn’t stay long there it’s a lovely place but I think our trip maybe cut shorter than planned due to some circumstances at home. Having come to Morocco we still have must do things ie. Marrakesh, Meknes,Fes and Chefchaouen to see before we go back just in case it’s our last trip here. We had planned to go to Ourazazate and over to the Sahara gateway but not this time unfortunately.

Yes we’ve just decided our route to Marrakesh last night and as I don’t mind the sheer drops and windy mountain passes my wife’s not so keen . I was also thinking about my poor old 30 year old Merc’s engine screaming uphill and his poor breaks overheating 🥵 So we’ve decided to take the easy route up there. I did read somewhere that the route you mention has some stunning scenery though.

It's heartening to see old taxis and vans with derivations of your engine around though
isn't it. I'm assuming you've got a 410d/412d, I've managed to get a local blacksmith/foundry
in Taghazoute to make a sandmould casting of a failed waterpump for a vanner
once, crude but did the job. It's the electronic controlled stuff that induces migraines,
when the only outfit with the correct equipment happens to be a main dealer in Casablanca,
and you happen to be crippled in Zagora or ad Dakla! I think risk of breakdown and what to do
should it occur, is what puts a lot of M/homers going to Morocco per se, let alone
going on the piste so to speak.

We were in Morocco for two months earlier this year travelling from Tangier via Marrakesh to Tarroudant near Agadir then east to Er Rachedia before turning north up to Fez via the Ziz Gorges. We felt safe throughout and experienced nothing but kindness and a friendly welcome from the Moroccans. Obviously, we were careful in the touristy areas, but the same would apply in any European big city. So, don't be put off going. If you are adventurous and don't require 5star campsite facilities you won't be disappointed!

Also about 100mtrs up a side road is a Fuente, a public water tap.
There are many of these in towns & villages, these are obvious by their surrounds of ☪ Islamic tiles.
Some are quite elaborate & very beautiful.View attachment 74333
Cheers Mike, yes the wife has got her eye on one of those fountains to take back to Portugal with us , obviously a smaller one !! Funnily enough we’ve just seen a load for sale on the road side in several places on the way into Marrakesh reckon we’ll be in there tomorrow looking!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back