Morocco Bound

Yes, thanks Gary, good crossing and ferry already booked for similar next year.
The price always goes up so cost effective to book early and got the cabin we want
Please keep the photo's coming!

I've just booked a Pando return, Dover, Calais, Dover, Out mid November back mid March £140 for 7.5metres X <3metres high. £120 last year.
Seems fair enough.

Wasn’t expecting it to be such a nice place as this ,the narrow streets in the medina are the cleanest and prettiest we’ve seen all lit up with lovely old fashioned street lights. If any of you ever come here I can highly recommend Aisha restaurant in the Medina the food was to die for. 👍Pics of 17th Century mosque, Aisha restaurant.

I think I said in an earlier post that to many of us, the inland cities are generally more
interesting than the coastal. If you get to Fez you'll find the medina and souks are easy
to get lost in. I haven't visited enough times not to still get lost, been round in circles
and I was sober at the time.

So we have been around Fes today which was, I think ,even more interesting than Meknès yesterday. The Ancient Médina seemed huge with so much stuff going on inside. Visited many little shops making and selling crafts,carpets,decorative lights, brass local bakery etc. and also went into the tannery. We parked close to the Médina in a car park but are currently parked away from the town on a quiet road.

E604BF3F-5049-423B-96D8-18F2530E01CC.jpeg
4C3C3AC8-15DD-416F-8F9A-7F2C85F42B43.jpeg
EB70A6A9-AAB6-4775-BAD3-6D9B811C7428.jpeg
C599D79E-315E-4D22-9DC1-EFC740EBD2D7.jpeg
43251AF9-4074-4813-A594-369825C78FF1.jpeg
B5977D5B-960F-4760-8CD8-2B3361C0E407.jpeg

I’m insanely jealous, reading all this whilst sitting in the van in Brighton sheltering from a deluge!

Console yourself, I know plenty of Moroccans whom would swap places with you
any time, and that's a fact!
Oh Ok, maybe they'd prefer to wait until you know what gets resolved if ever if ever it does!

I’ve met a few Moroccans who’d love to come here as they’ve heard you’re given a house & a washing machine.
They were more interested in the washing machine than the house!

I’m insanely jealous, reading all this whilst sitting in the van in Brighton sheltering from a deluge!
Don’t feel so bad Mike, we’ve had a lot of rain too,coming up to Chechauen today. Mind, at least we’re not in Brighton !

I’ve met a few Moroccans who’d love to come here as they’ve heard you’re given a house & a washing machine.
They were more interested in the washing machine than the house!

Blame the internet and why not, they see that the weather's so good here a house isn't a necessity!
It's those UK holiday sites showing palm trees on 'The English Riviera' ........Cornwall, just like home.

Spent the day and night in Chefchouen yesterday in the blue village. Spent the afternoon wandering through the cute narrow blue streets of the ancient medina taking it all in,Very quaint indeed. Then we walked up to the Kasbah and on round to the main square, lots of people milling around in a nice laid back atmosphere. We parked near the medina where there were lots of buses and paid the guardian there 20 Mad for the night.

plus we have banana trees growing etc .
cornwall is really lovely.
you get charged when you leave at saltash , and hopefully the highway men will be out again soon on the other roads.
its a lovely day in kernow . green grass shining in the sun.
the rain is a bit less today and its nice enough to beable to get around without a coat.
yes its wetter than maroc but its a grand place to live.

So we have been on the road since 7.30am this morning when we left Chefchouen have driven 7 hours plus ferry journey and are back home now in Tavira. We have covered a total of 3,600 Kms from start to finish in 3weeks and our 30 year old Mercedes never missed a beat. We have seen and learnt a lot of things about Marocco in such a short time, many memorable. I hope some of you have liked our findings and Thank you for those who have followed,liked and commented on our posts and hopefully it has given an insight for some who may be hoping or maybe planning a trip to such an interesting and diverse country.

Hi - I shall read all the post when time allows - got to page 3 then shot to 8.
Retirement hits me tomorrow (Yippee) so we are hoping to travel early next year for a couple of months - after trying for the past 4.
Sods law is on my case as I booked the MoT for Wednesday and today while prepping it discovered I have to replace a rear brake cylinder and brake shoes (just ordered from Coastal Motorhomes via ebay).

Polite Request:
Do you have a rough guide on costs for Ferry as well as campsites - although we are normally WCers.
What are fuel costs and also typical food costs please.

Hi - I shall read all the post when time allows - got to page 3 then shot to 8.
Retirement hits me tomorrow (Yippee) so we are hoping to travel early next year for a couple of months - after trying for the past 4.
Sods law is on my case as I booked the MoT for Wednesday and today while prepping it discovered I have to replace a rear brake cylinder and brake shoes (just ordered from Coastal Motorhomes via ebay).

Polite Request:
Do you have a rough guide on costs for Ferry as well as campsites - although we are normally WCers.
Hi, firstly good luck with the brakes and Mot for next week. The ferry costs should be about 200 euros on an open return, we paid 220 and went from Algerceiras to port Tanger Med which we were advised is much quicker and less agro once arriving Morocco. Tickets you can buy on arrival at Palmones through Viajes Normandie, Juan Carlos very helpful guy. Campsites are pretty cheap over there anything from about 5-10 Euros a day depending, but generally a bit basic standards. We stayed mainly on them as they are cheap and at least then you can leave motorhome to go and explore towns ,also I like to have a few beers, G&T’s etc. So at least you know you’re not going to get moved on after having a few !!👍 Fuel is pretty cheap too about €1 per litre for diesel and food in supermarkets similar to here in Portugal, we found the big Supermarkets like Carrafour and Marjine were more expensive but you can get pretty much anything. To eat out though is quite cheap we found. Enjoy..

Polite Request:

When you go to Juan Carlos, tell him you’re a member of Motorhome Fun, they have arranged a 10% discount & you’ll pay €180.

Despite what they say, wilding is easy. Last year we spent only 2 nights on sites in 2 months & the only reason for that was badly needed washing, they don’t seem to have heard of laundrettes over there.
There are plenty of overnighting apps for phones, park 4 night & camperstop among them. Vicarious Books sell an out of date book on Moroccan stops but it includes a latest update.

When you go to Juan Carlos, tell him you’re a member of Motorhome Fun, they have arranged a 10% discount & you’ll pay €180.

Despite what they say, wilding is easy. Last year we spent only 2 nights on sites in 2 months & the only reason for that was badly needed washing, they don’t seem to have heard of laundrettes over there.
There are plenty of overnighting apps for phones, park 4 night & camperstop among them. Vicarious Books sell an out of date book on Moroccan stops but it includes a latest update.
Thanks for the info Spigot. Didn't realise a discount was possible which is useful.
Just this morning in process of fitting new brake cylinder and rear shoes - on RHS, if we can get the handbrake adjuster to work correctly. Then LHS will get done. All parts obtained from Coastal Motorhomes for near half the cost of other bigger suppliers.

Hi, firstly good luck with the brakes and Mot for next week. The ferry costs should be about 200 euros on an open return, we paid 220 and went from Algerceiras to port Tanger Med which we were advised is much quicker and less agro once arriving Morocco. Tickets you can buy on arrival at Palmones through Viajes Normandie, Juan Carlos very helpful guy. Campsites are pretty cheap over there anything from about 5-10 Euros a day depending, but generally a bit basic standards. We stayed mainly on them as they are cheap and at least then you can leave motorhome to go and explore towns ,also I like to have a few beers, G&T’s etc. So at least you know you’re not going to get moved on after having a few !!👍 Fuel is pretty cheap too about €1 per litre for diesel and food in supermarkets similar to here in Portugal, we found the big Supermarkets like Carrafour and Marjine were more expensive but you can get pretty much anything. To eat out though is quite cheap we found. Enjoy..
Thanks for the update Harleyboygaz3, I had noted your habits - we also enjoy the odd G+T or Cider.
Once the MoT is sorted hopefully then get Xmas out of the way we shall go and explore. Definitely away during winter and morrocco bound if poss.

A couple of additional questions are:
I assume the basic staples such as milk, eggs, bread and biscuits are always available?
We usually work on a 3 day stock turnaround as we often only stay in one place for 3 days maximum, often 2 so then manage shopping as we move - would this work in Morrocco?
Did you discover any specific local foods that you frequently bought?
With fuel - are stations abundant or must you fill at every town as you pass?

Thanks for the update Harleyboygaz3, I had noted your habits - we also enjoy the odd G+T or Cider.
Once the MoT is sorted hopefully then get Xmas out of the way we shall go and explore. Definitely away during winter and morrocco bound if poss.

A couple of additional questions are:
I assume the basic staples such as milk, eggs, bread and biscuits are always available?
We usually work on a 3 day stock turnaround as we often only stay in one place for 3 days maximum, often 2 so then manage shopping as we move - would this work in Morrocco?
Did you discover any specific local foods that you frequently bought?
With fuel - are stations abundant or must you fill at every town as you pass?
Yes, unfortunately it’s my weakness, I do enjoy a nice drink which is why we tended to use a site as apposed to W.C. Like Spigot says loads of places to wild it’s just could you imagine being asked to move on in the middle of the night after you’ve had half a dozen G&T’s especially over there where most don’t touch the stuff!! Sound like you’re like us we normally move on after a couple of days so that’s what we did you’ll find Carrafours and Marjine all over Morocco where’s there are biggish towns and you can get pretty much everything. I even saw a booze cave section in the Marjine supermarket in Marrakesh! Bread was cheap, milk and eggs about the same biscuits and sweets etc. are expensive but all widely available. Local produce we didn’t bother about as you’ll see when you get there the butcheries just have there meat hanging outside no refrigeration and all the flies buzzing round it we didn’t fancy it 😱 The vegetables however were good from the markets also good in supermarkets. Fuel stations are quite abundant especially around Cities just top up if and when venturing inland as we found not so many.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back