Morocco Bound

Asilaha is a nice little town and would well recommend visiting. Can walk straight from our site onto the seafront and take a very pleasant walk down towards the walled medina. Inside the Médina is very quaint and well maintained not too many people with a calm atmosphere. Leaving the Médina we walked up some fairly busy streets lots of eateries and even went into an inside vegetable market which was incredible, very basic would have liked to take some pics but didn’t want to offend anyone.

9ED951A8-A5FC-44BF-9A93-AAEC2E70AFA5.jpeg
2011C681-84E7-407A-BDB8-2D5A0FE5C74E.jpeg
76BE468F-3401-424E-B18A-7EB310ECFFB4.jpeg
7DD0921D-F1CD-44A6-9D95-0D6ABFF826D5.jpeg

Just be careful and carry passport money etc in a belt under your trousers.While I was visiting a sheep/camel/ goat market I noticed a certain man always seemed to be near me ,as he walked past he fell and almost knocked me over then jumped up and disappeared into the crowd I then noticed my cargo trousers had been knifed and split across the pockets luckily as I had a stinking cold I had a wad of tissues in there he must have expected a wallet .

Just be careful and carry passport money etc in a belt under your trousers.While I was visiting a sheep/camel/ goat market I noticed a certain man always seemed to be near me ,as he walked past he fell and almost knocked me over then jumped up and disappeared into the crowd I then noticed my cargo trousers had been knifed and split across the pockets luckily as I had a stinking cold I had a wad of tissues in there he must have expected a wallet .
Wow, we have been walking around with eyes in the back of our heads since we’ve been here probably thinking we are being a bit over precautious but hearing this will be even more so. Have got money and passports etc. tight round my waist in a leather bum bag type thing but half is on show. Where abouts did this happen to you?

Harry's Bar, don't know about the eats, but the pianist was quite good!
Casablanca, "Surrounded by desert sands", that's what Bumphrey Gocart said about Casa in the film, obviously
he'd never been there, let alone the question, was the film actually made there :)

I believe you’re thinking of Rick’s Cafe where, supposedly, Sam was asked to “Play it again”
No, the film wasn’t made there, it was produced in Warner Bros studio in Hollywood.

Wow, we have been walking around with eyes in the back of our heads since we’ve been here probably thinking we are being a bit over precautious but hearing this will be even more so. Have got money and passports etc. tight round my waist in a leather bum bag type thing but half is on show. Where abouts did this happen to you?
No one rule ,dont wear bum bags ,second rule hide cameras ,third rule dress like them,forth rule keep any monies in you shoes.

No one rule ,dont wear bum bags ,second rule hide cameras ,third rule dress like them,forth rule keep any monies in you shoes.
Think I’m going out tomorrow to buy a big knife, pepper spray and a flexi bar just for good measure Trev.!!! Blimey, wasn’t sure I was expecting coming to a war zone. I don’t have a camera only the one on my phone and don’t normally wear shoes only flip flops so will be difficult hiding all my cash in them 🙀

I believe you’re thinking of Rick’s Cafe where, supposedly, Sam was asked to “Play it again”
No, the film wasn’t made there, it was produced in Warner Bros studio in Hollywood.

I was indeed thinking of Ricks Bar, failing memory! I know it wasn't made in Maroc it
was the point I was making. I'm fairly certain Sam didn't actually say "play it again Sam",
another one of those myths that surround well known films. And Bumphrey Gocart didn't
star in it either, just someone with a similar name! Great film for it's time.

i would say that Maroc is no worse than a lot of other places . i could tell you stories of the Algarve, Seville , Marbella , Amsterdam ,Avignon etc etc . there's tea leaves looking to take advantage everywhere, including Bristol ! just relax , but be aware. if anything i felt safer in Maroc , knowing that the cops were on my side ,protecting the tourist euro.i spent time in the Rif mountains, where tourists were 'kidnapped' by dope farmers , till they gave in and bought a couple of kilos
i know people this happened to , and just being assertive would have nipped it in the bud- for example , these guys would cut you up in peugeot pickups and try to stop you . we just smiled and showed them a camera , and they were off ! i bought dope in Chefchaouen with no hassle and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there. so i hope you enjoy it as well , great people , poor , but great craic ! laugh a minute !

Harry's Bar, don't know about the eats, but the pianist was quite good!
Casablanca, "Surrounded by desert sands", that's what Bumphrey Gocart said about Casa in the film, obviously
he'd never been there, let alone the question, was the film actually made there :)
I can’t remember the name of the town in which this happened as it was six years ago but I do have a photo .This was the only time I felt worried mostly people were fine just take sensible precautions.

Think I’m going out tomorrow to buy a big knife, pepper spray and a flexi bar just for good measure Trev.!!! Blimey, wasn’t sure I was expecting coming to a war zone. I don’t have a camera only the one on my phone and don’t normally wear shoes only flip flops so will be difficult hiding all my cash in them 🙀
Keep it under your shirt,yes it is no worse than many other tourist places but the street folk are intence at chassing you for money,beleave it or not belfast is the safest city in europe.
Do make sure you have a good time which is more important.

So ,we are now going to head further south probably to Mohammedia just before you reach Casablanca. Would have stopped at Rabat but doesn’t look like anywhere suitable to park up there so just going to drive through Kenitra and Rabat for a quick look instead.

It's the persistent pestering that tourists can't take, and at times it
borders on the aggressive. It's not about the sort of crimes that
involve the police and possibly make the statistics. Not to overlook the
fact Maroc relies heavily on tourism and the production and export of hash,
they ignore any statistics that reflect negatively on that fact.
I've known plenty of people catch the first ferry back to Spain soon after
arrival in Tanger, that's why I say if you feel OK in Tanger then you'll
likely be OK anywhere else in Maroc.

It's the persistent pestering that tourists can't take, and at times it
borders on the aggressive. It's not about the sort of crimes that
involve the police and possibly make the statistics. Not to overlook the
fact Maroc relies heavily on tourism and the production and export of hash,
they ignore any statistics that reflect negatively on that fact.
I've known plenty of people catch the first ferry back to Spain soon after
arrival in Tanger, that's why I say if you feel OK in Tanger then you'll
likely be OK anywhere else in Maroc!
Yes you are right, iam used to the way they approach you desperately trying to sell you something as have spent a lot of time in Thailand. I guess They are the same,dependant on earning from tourists that pass through. Tangier was fairly full on and we new it would be but otherwise is a great place to see once you can look past the pestering, I can understand people coming here and turning straight back. Must admit, the driving over here is pretty much the same as in Thailand, mad ba****rds!! I thought they were bad enough in Portugal till I’ve came here.

first day there ,filled up in Tangiers, pump guy handed me his joint while he filled the van . H&S Maroc style .
dealing with the hasslers is a doddle really . when you pull up and a crowd of kids surround you and the van , just beckon one of the bigger ones, say ''tu es gardien ''and give him a couple of dirham on your return. let lads carry your bags at markets etc , pay them a bit, they're earning for their family after all.this is just showing respect. as for the annoying ones who won't bugger off , they've learnt half a dozen languages, and always ask where you're from. answer in a sing song voice '' i ama froom Noor-vay'' that'll confuse them !
if you get caught doing anything by a cop on his own , speeding , parking etc , ask politely if its possible to pay a spot fine , and no, you won't require a receipt ta. politeness is key in all situations

if you use the kenitra -sale coastal roads and then get to rabat. you cross a bridge . go abit further then turnround and come back almost to the bridge then turn left . follow the river and you can go past rabat on the coast its really nice just looking.
you cant quite stay on the old coast road all the way to mohammedia but have to turn left after rabat , but hug the coast where ever you can .
casablanca head for the port ,its signed then turn left just before the port . again follow the coast its amazing . specially when you get to the big works etc .
we stop around skirat way on the coast.,just north is great lovely beaches and usually ok for a nights stop. have a good one.

Last edited:
first day there ,filled up in Tangiers, pump guy handed me his joint while he filled the van . H&S Maroc style .
dealing with the hasslers is a doddle really . when you pull up and a crowd of kids surround you and the van , just beckon one of the bigger ones, say ''tu es gardien ''and give him a couple of dirham on your return. let lads carry your bags at markets etc , pay them a bit, they're earning for their family after all.this is just showing respect. as for the annoying ones who won't bugger off , they've learnt half a dozen languages, and always ask where you're from. answer in a sing song voice '' i ama froom Noor-vay'' that'll confuse them !
if you get caught doing anything by a cop on his own , speeding , parking etc , ask politely if its possible to pay a spot fine , and no, you won't require a receipt ta. politeness is key in all situations

How long since you’ve been there Nigel?
You give a kid a couple of dirhams nowadays he’ll look at you with a derisive sneer & hold his hand out for more.
I’m getting hardened to this now which is a shame as sometimes a few of these approaches can be genuine.
I was staying in the car park of the Leisure Centre in Agadir when a well dressed guy came up & gave us a kilo of tangerines saying “Welcome to Morocco”.
Further down the coast, we were on a deserted beach with only goats 🐐 for company when a chap came by on a donkey & gave us a bunch of bananas, I expected a demand for payment, but no, the guy was glad of some unexpected company.
These examples were unusual, mostly the natives are all on the ponce, if you say NO, they think you mean yes. It can get very wearying, I will never go near Marrakesh again for this reason.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back