LPG Gaslow, tank kits and other alternatives ooop North

You have a tee on number one cylinder fill valve then a pipe into an elbow on number two cylinder. The fitting you show goes onto the different tee that feed to the regulator.
If you disconnect the feed to number two cylinder and leave the fill pipe uncapped you will have high pressure gas escaping when you go to fill up.
There are all sorts of things you can do (someone has set up a system to refill SafeFill bottles with an external filler) but it doesn’t make it safe. Autogas 2000 work to the Gas Safe LPG regs and would not fit or advise anything that doesn’t comply. You can assume everyone is competent at doing things.
I didn't just do it without first taking advice Niel. it's all pipes and fittings and as long as you are aware of what you are doing then it's safe.

So are you capping off the fill pipe Kev?
Trying to recall Niel, not done it for about 5-6 years and I was working on a pre-installed system with one 11kg Gasit bottle, I just wanted the backup of a Calor, Not certain what Barry actually has now, but I'd just go for two Gaslows, and keep them topped up, but he works differently and for longer than most normal folks.

This is the last full install I did.

I appreciate the arguments for and against this but I can only go on what the experts advised me. They seemed pretty adamant that it was a bad idea especially in that locker. They lost out on an extra £400 for a second bottle fitting so I have to assume there was no other motive, just good advice. Will see how we get on this summer and reassess. Kev reckons he only used .3 litres a day on his trip so maybe the new van will be more efficient but Charlie said probably not. :D

I can only speak to my own personal experience but I think the Gaslow/Calor is best in any sense apart from your's Barry due to the way you use the van.

As for danger, of course, there will be some involved as it's a flammable gas so caution is needed whether you are filling a Gaslow or changing a Calor, as for their opinion I would have wanted to know why they thought so in some detail.

I can only speak to my own personal experience but I think the Gaslow/Calor is best in any sense apart from your's Barry due to the way you use the van.

As for danger, of course, there will be some involved as it's a flammable gas so caution is needed whether you are filling a Gaslow or changing a Calor, as for their opinion I would have wanted to know why they thought so in some detail.

But I have ended up with a Gaslow/Calor solution. He did go into some detail as to why it wasn't advisable but I cant remember the full reasoning now other than it was dangerous and quite a palaver in a very tight space. Its like me advising a client on which IT system to go for and why. You pay for that expertise and advice and you hope the client will go with what you suggest so I just went along with it. Its not like its finite anyway. I can easily change the system to two Gaslows if I was ever in a situation where I was never going to need a Calor like in mainland Europe.

But I have ended up with a Gaslow/Calor solution. He did go into some detail as to why it wasn't advisable but I cant remember the full reasoning now other than it was dangerous and quite a palaver in a very tight space. Its like me advising a client on which IT system to go for and why. You pay for that expertise and advice and you hope the client will go with what you suggest so I just went along with it. Its not like its finite anyway. I can easily change the system to two Gaslows if I was ever in a situation where I was never going to need a Calor like in mainland Europe.
Absolutely Barry, I'd have done the same in your case.

Where do you get £400 from though? for adding a second bottle that does seem an awful lot.

https://www.gasproducts.co.uk/carav...g-refillable-cylinder-1-with-level-gauge.html Plus a hose and a T.

Absolutely Barry, I'd have done the same in your case.

Where do you get £400 from though? for adding a second bottle that does seem an awful lot.

https://www.gasproducts.co.uk/carav...g-refillable-cylinder-1-with-level-gauge.html Plus a hose and a T.

The quote for 2 x 6kg Gaslow was £820 plus it was another £45 for the fittings to swap out to a Calor. This was all done by email with the guy in the office. It was Charlie and John when I got there that advised against it. In the end with a discount I paid £424 for a single system although I would have got a bigger discount on the twin system I guess.

I think it’s possible to temporarily fit a calor bottle to the van using the fill point or through an outside barbecue point using an adapter pipe, thereby having the best of both worlds. Not 100% sure of this though, the experts should know for sure.

Just one thing. The regular bottle in that locker is currently a FloGas bottle not a calor. I have a full Calor in the garage which I intend to swap over today or tomorrow. Can I just confirm that they are the same fitting? 99% sure they are. I presume its just a case of making sure both the Gaslow and the FloGas are turned off, undo the Flogas connector, fit the calor, turn the gas low back on.

Not certain as I said Barry, but I do now see the issue of swapping bottles, the door on ours is at one side as you'll see later so one bottle is easy to get in and out.

I think it’s possible to temporarily fit a calor bottle to the van using the fill point or through an outside barbecue point using an adapter pipe, thereby having the best of both worlds. Not 100% sure of this though, the experts should know for sure.
That's what I would've done if needed ....

Though our lpg use is now minimal now having gone over to a eberspacher for heating and a 240v/inverter fridge from the solar .

I just did a very short video to show my current setup, I forgot to mention making sure the valves are closed.

The fitting should be the same on the flow gas and Calor Barry. Not sure exactly what you have fitted but turning off both bottles will make it safe while you swap a bottle. I had a tee fitted with non return valves so I didn’t need to do anything on the refillable. I think with the auto changeover vales you have positions for either one or other tank or both together.

Edit : if in doubt ring Charlie

The fitting should be the same on the flow gas and Calor Barry. Not sure exactly what you have fitted but turning off both bottles will make it safe while you swap a bottle. I had a tee fitted with non return valves so I didn’t need to do anything on the refillable. I think with the auto changeover vales you have positions for either one or other tank or both together.

Edit : if in doubt ring Charlie

Thanks. Ill attempt it tomorrow. Feeling a little fragile today. :D The system is pretty straight forward I think. Both bottles are connected I believe. If one runs out you simply turn on the other. Nothing else to do but ill make sure I have them both turned off before disconnecting the FloGas bottle and fitting the Calor.

Well despite the hangover I have been out and swapped the Flogas with the Calor. It would have been straight forward if I hadnt left the old flying saucer regulator on my full Calor bottle and my gas spanner in the old vans gas locker. Another borrowed wrench later and I sorted it. I like the fact that the new connectors are just tightened by hand.

As requested a little video for you. Might send it to Charlie. :D

It might just me being over cautious but I hate to see pipes or wiring able to rub on anything, so I put some plastic around my pipes.

I just used the neck from spray bottle as it was handy.

1720713869340.png

It's 2024, keep up men.
Just had two long post on lithium and now you're taking about LPG.
Lithium and diesel, it's the way forward for all your MH needs.

I still got LPG by the way, just looking for volunteers to test the future. 😜😆
Yep, PV Lithium and Diesel the way forward, forget gas.

I have a gauge on the dashboard Barry which tells me how much I have left in my 21 litre underslung tank. I was down to one click of ten when I went for a fill up locally, same thing - it took just about 5 litres.
Does anyone think that the supply pumps or storage tanks vary in pressure depending on their level of fill?

Back