Is it worth becoming a Full Member?

yes to full membership

I joined last year
got a discount because it was xmas/new year
so my insurance with Adrian Flux
was discounted by the same amount as a yrs membership.
winner! Yes I also like the questions on forum people respond v quickly thank you.

Crumbs ive only just joined and you have already saved me £140.00, with my purchases from John Cross, with all the knowledge that i have gained in a such short space of time, its been invaluable , I'm dead chuffed!, and besides, it wouldnt sit well with me, to be given a host of valuable information, that you wouldnt of got otherwise, for free, i would feel that i would have to contribute something.And I havnt even started on the Points of Interest yet.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a free member for a long time and only subscribed recently(I'm a tight git).With the WC discount I've saved money on insurance and leisure batteries so far and also met some decent,like minded folks on the couple of meets that I've been on.So yes it is worth becoming a full member.

well we have a lot that goes on unspoken about courier servicessomeone to shout at when you having a bad day welfare checks when your poorly

If I had not joined this site (and become a full member) I would still be blissfully unaware of the discounts available , so for the second year running I have just paid £160 for my insurance through AIB instead of the £450 I paid in my first year of MH ownership. So it has been more than worthwhile for me.

Hi Chuffed I joined a few week back.
Leisure battery just packed in and I saved £15 on one from Alpha.

Keep up the good work :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Not been on any meets yet, but am looking forward to in the future

I know I am tempting fate here but.....

Is it worth becoming a Full Member?
Do you feel that you get good value for the 39p per week?
Have you saved money on your insurance from AIB?
Have you used the discount from GAS IT or Johns Cross?
Do you feel happier supporting the the community and helping pay the running costs?
Are you happy with the support you get from me?

Please only respond if you are a Full Member.

And please try and keep this thread serious, there is a place for banter and comedy. (this is not it)
Any posts that are off topic and do not directly relate to the questions above will be deleted without notice.

To answer your questions;
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes,
Keep up the good work Phil and thanks, loulou.:cheers::cheers:

Full membership is worth every penny

The apps for iPad android and windows are all terrific and the POI's for my Garmin satnav allow me to see sites from a menu search or just nearest ones to my current position. They display on the Garmin as I drive so there is no doubt about picking the exact location. I have also used the Gasit discount. Good work folks!

Only use the POIs occasionally and have used the Gasit discount. The real value though is the members and the very wide range of knowledge and intersts. That alone makes the site more than worth the membership, I benefit so I contribute

Im a full member..I found my initial inroduction to the forum rather frosty..It has subsequently hindered my desire to post.
I do log in & read
I subscribe to plently of other forums for on average £15.00
One valued member suggested they do not give future POI's --as they are used by non wild campers
I see variants of membership.. i assume if you supply POis you attain this level?

You should have access to the poi not sure what you mean ?
I have to admit that it seems to be that all new members on here do get pounced on these days to sign up as a full member, perhaps a bit more information given freely would encourage people more :wacko:

Thank you...
I can acces sthe POIs now, but have not used them(but will do)..im sure they will be excellent!...at the time I had no MH..
I have a thick skin, so can tolerate "odd" inroductions(read my intro)..
I would imagine any percieved downurn in "new sign ups"- is down to a numer of things including the "intro" page & its respondants- acting like admin/moderators..and representing the thoughts of others

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you...
I can acces sthe POIs now, but have not used them(but will do)..im sure they will be excellent!...at the time I had no MH..
I have a thick skin, so can tolerate "odd" inroductions(read my intro)..
I would imagine any percieved downurn in "new sign ups"- is down to a numer of things including the "intro" page & its respondants- acting like admin/moderators..and representing the thoughts of others

When you consider the thousands of members, it is not unreasonable that their will be a few that you will not get on with. We have seen trolls and bullies which is why we have strict forum rules. Admin enforces them as well as is humanly possible. Balance this against the the huge resource that this site has become?

New free members often request info only available to full members which is why many suggest that they join as full members and see what they are missing.

Richard

Im a full member..I found my initial inroduction to the forum rather frosty..It has subsequently hindered my desire to post.

I am sorry to hear that. I have just read through all your posts and all the responses.

In your first post you stated "I would like to be able to access the POI's" and members responded to tell you that you needed to be a Full Member. There were welcome posts and answers to questions that you had asked.

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/new-members-introduce-yourself/63455-purchasing-motorhome-york-based.html?highlight=#post841889

I subscribe to plently of other forums for on average £15.00

There are motorhome forums that cost around £15 per year to subscribe to, however, none of them provides the services that we do. I don't just mean the forum, but the POI database, custom designed mobile and web apps, membership packs and a variety of rallies and meets to suit all tastes. We don't make money from members by putting a percentage on rally site fees. The discounts we negotiate for members can easily return the membership fee, without even considering the savings from the overnight stops.
One valued member suggested they do not give future POI's --as they are used by non wild campers

There will always be people who do not want to share I cannot help that. I can only tell you that these people are a minority, most of our members freely share the passion that they have and locations.
I see variants of membership.. i assume if you supply POis you attain this level?

On this forum, these are the membership Levels:

Admin: There are two people that Administer everything except the POI system, that is Tes and me.
POI Admin: Administers the POI database and all POI related queries, additions, updates and deletions.
Full Member: This is the highest membership level. You can pay a subscription for it, or you can be given a Full Member Free subscription for a period of time.
Free Member: This is a forum only member who has restricted services and forum access.

Currently, Full Member Free subscriptions are decided on a case by case basis. If I see a member do a good deed, or they particularly committed to our community then I make their membership free. POI Admin is responsible for upgrading members based on POI submissions. The new POI system awards points for member activity. Adding, updating or reviewing POI locations earns member points. These points can be used to buy membership amongst other things.

I hope I have addressed some of your points.

Admin

Thanks Paul;
I hope my post has not been misconstrued as a rant- it wasn't intended that way.
I find this site very informative & have spent the majority of the day, dipping in & out of threads.
I'm about to download the "jewel in the crown"- the POI's!! & was very appreciative of your fast response to basic rookie questions!
Attracting new members/demonstrating value/worth.
I found this website and was drawn to it by typing into Google "stealth camping" or something similar ...I cant be certain, but your logs will confirm, I would imagine the majority of new users arrive hoping to find free camping spots...that type of thing.
I think it could be made really clear that the POI's, quite rightly, hold a charge, but there are other benefits also.
I'm sure you will be aware of the multitude of ways to alert first time visitors & channelling them towards either subscribing (free)reading & confirming they understand that POI's are not free, as an awful amount of work has gone into and continues to go into them...perhaps then the option to take the plunge is offered then?...I don't know.
I have subsequently seen a number of posts where people sign up(free) & do exactly what I did- often getting no response- which leaves them with a less than positive feeling towards the site; which makes converting them harder later on.

I have read loads of reports suggesting that motorhoming is rising in popularity- so inevitably more people will visit this and other sites. This site has an air of "niche" to me-its where I come when I have a question regarding full timing or extended trips- I feel(rightly or wrongly) that the %of full timers or ex-fulltimers is much higher here than on other sites- therefore the advice is likely to be tried and tested- which is another benefit and a reason for me to become a full member
How to get that message across would require more thought though!

It is worth pointing out that free members can see all the POI locations on the online POI Map, however it cannot be zoomed in to an extent where individual places can be identified.

This gives a very good idea of the comprehensive coverage offered by the POIs.

You're right about the amount of work that has been done in creating the POI database, and indeed continues to be done.

The database reflects more than seven years of effort from its conception, and the locations are updated every day to ensure that each release of the POIs is accurate as possible.

With the advent of the soon-to-arrive new POI system, the online database will always be bang-up-to-date and downloads to devices by members will always contain the freshest set of data.

The new system will also support submission of reviews and photos, and each POI will be categorised further to help locate the ideal spot more easily. For example POIs will identify if there's a good view, availability of good dog walking, mobile signal and/or broadband, TV reception ... and many, many more.

Exciting things are just round the corner!

thanks

definitely, we've not purchased out motorhome yet,but have learnt/ gained so much knowledge from this community.

Yes.

However, I would like closer links to the new Motorhomer website as in my simple mind they kind of compete for content... ie if I have a motorhome related topic to raise should I add it here, over there, or both ???

K

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back