Hosepipe ban, and filling up a Motorhome

Just hearing in the news that most of Europe is suffering worse than the U.K.

We've had the odd rain shower here this last week.

Enough to very briefly refresh the garden plants, but we need loads more before it makes any real difference.

Bet we get floods this autumn/winter.

I remember standpipes back in 1976 when the drought triggered water rationing.
Is there a laissez faire attitude to the current drought from the current water companies?

The Regional Water Authorities were basically a good idea, but they were chronically underfunded back then. Not enough has been invested by the private water companies either, hence the ongoing sewerage and general infrastructure problems which persist to this day.

I rather doubt that the current foreign owners of the UK's water supplies care all that much whether the UK population or our native wildlife suffer adversely from a water shortage caused by droughts in tandem with bad water management. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. 🤷‍♀️

Reverse Osmosis plant
Jim, the Noggies were experimenting with Osmosis to generate electricity. Don’t know how far they got with this though.

Desalination plants don’t come cheap. Only one I have actually viewed was Eilat, Israel. Drawing water from the Gulf of Aqaba. Our new aircraft carriers, each one hare fitted with DS plant. Be interesting to know the cost.

Jim, the Noggies were experimenting with Osmosis to generate electricity. Don’t know how far they got with this though.

Desalination plants don’t come cheap. Only one I have actually viewed was Eilat, Israel. Drawing water from the Gulf of Aqaba. Our new aircraft carriers, each one hare fitted with DS plant. Be interesting to know the cost.

Well, at least you don't have to travel too far from anywhere in the UK to reach the coast, Terry. :)

Guess if it really came down to it, and water shortages were constantly critical, it wouldn't be impossible to build a few desalination plants for the UK?

I recall the last hosepipe ban and we did the sensible thing and coiled it up and put it in the garage so it wasn't an automatic thing, we still watered any veg in the garden by not using the dishwasher (which does use less) but washing up and put the water on the garden, we would put a bucket under the shower head to catch the water wasted when waiting for the temp to be right, and we disconnected the waste from the bath outside and that went into an old plastic dust bin, we already had a couple of water butts too, nothing died.

We're very frugal in the van too, I filled up at home before setting off, and filled up twice in 4 weeks while away, we do seem to waste a lot but can save a lot by lateral thinking.

Earlier this week Maggy misheard the news ( :unsure:) and told me a hosepipe ban was coming into effect the day after, my car was filthy and as it would be the last time to wash it I spent a few hours washing and polishing, I watched the news that evening and found out it was just down south and we weren't affected, that is two hours I won't get back.

Ah, yes, 1976. "Save water and bath with a friend ". Unfortunately my, then, fairly new wife insisted there was no room for three in our bath.

We lived in a house with a disused canal at the bottom of our garden; full of water but not navigable. Our neighbour, a lovely guy, perhaps taking inspiration from his profession as a dentist, decided that he could water his garden by fitting a pump attachment to his electric drill and discretely dropping the end of the suction hose into the canal. Two drills and three pumps later the council finally caught up with him. He got away lightly with just a bollocking.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back